MMR billet secondary tensioner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member Array pwrdbypsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    839

    Default MMR billet secondary tensioner

    Link to info posted on turbo forums.

    http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...;topicseen#new

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Tractionless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Atlantic Southeast
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    I was thinking it was for the inner accessory belt, ho hum. Not a lot of metal cam chain tensioner failures out there anyway. From what I've seen it's mostly the plastic ones.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array pwrdbypsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    839

    Default

    dude its to correct the problem with the passenger tensioner changing the cam timing. I guess you didnt read the thread.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boynton Beach Florida
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    They claim that the cam timing can be off by up to 7 degrees on the passenger side due to the tensioner being on the wrong side of the upper chain. The chain that connects the two cams together. Then they also claim that the power increase from correcting this design flaw will take the variance on the timing down to about 1 degree or less and gain 4-5 MPH in the 1/4? If that is true then why did it take so long for anyone to communicate this information? They are talking quite a bit of power there.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Array Tractionless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Atlantic Southeast
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pwrdbypsi View Post
    dude its to correct the problem with the passenger tensioner changing the cam timing. I guess you didnt read the thread.
    DUDE I read the friggin thread, obviously (well not to you) that's why I wrote "ho hum" as in disappointed. Maybe you should have inserted "timing" in the title, then we wouldn't have to guess which of the 3 tensioners you are referring to.
    Last edited by Tractionless; 08-11-2010 at 09:54 AM.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Array BLK_03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, Misery
    Posts
    6,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaman View Post
    They claim that the cam timing can be off by up to 7 degrees on the passenger side due to the tensioner being on the wrong side of the upper chain. The chain that connects the two cams together. Then they also claim that the power increase from correcting this design flaw will take the variance on the timing down to about 1 degree or less and gain 4-5 MPH in the 1/4? If that is true then why did it take so long for anyone to communicate this information? They are talking quite a bit of power there.
    This is a John Mihovetz discovery, I can tell you that.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Array shhakg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    If only they weren't being sold by that dirty 3 letter word.....M----M----R...... Can someone else order some and then sell them to me? At least that way I wouldn't "actually" be ordering from them.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Array BLK_03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, Misery
    Posts
    6,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shhakg View Post
    If only they weren't being sold by that dirty 3 letter word.....M----M----R...... Can someone else order some and then sell them to me? At least that way I wouldn't "actually" be ordering from them.
    Big 10-4 on that one.

    You can get them through Accufab. Slightly cheaper to boot. = )

  11. #9
    Senior Member Array shhakg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLK_03 View Post
    Big 10-4 on that one.

    You can get them through Accufab. Slightly cheaper to boot. = )
    Just might do that. I'm going to talk to Marvin when I take some stuff over to Bridge Racing Friday and see what he has to say about the whole idea.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    I keep staring at it but I just can't figure out how it corrects the timing issue, let alone how it'll help you pick up 5-6 MPH

    Especially at that price........

  13. #11
    Senior Member Array shhakg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blowngt View Post
    I keep staring at it but I just can't figure out how it corrects the timing issue, let alone how it'll help you pick up 5-6 MPH

    Especially at that price........
    The factory style tensioner keeps the tension on the wrong side of the chain on the passenger side. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can, but HELL, I KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY DAMMIT....LOL

  14. #12
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shhakg View Post
    The factory style tensioner keeps the tension on the wrong side of the chainon the passenger side. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can, but HELL, I KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY DAMMIT....LOL
    That's about the only part I understand. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how it 'fixes' timing and you pick up 5-6 MPH.......

  15. #13
    Senior Member Array shhakg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Muscle Shoals, AL
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    From what I understand, the factory setup let's your timing dance around up to 7* on the cams on that bank. Keeping the tension on the correct side of the chain stabilizes the cam timing. I believe the 5-6mph came from the additional 5# of boost his car picked up from the corrected timing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I gathered...

  16. #14
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shhakg View Post
    From what I understand, the factory setup let's your timing dance around up to 7* on the cams on that bank. Keeping the tension on the correct side of the chain stabilizes the cam timing. I believe the 5-6mph came from the additional 5# of boost his car picked up from the corrected timing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I gathered...
    The theory behind it makes sense. It sounds like there's been some testing done, but I'd love to see some real world results. That's alot of coin to drop, not to mention the PITA to install.....

  17. #15
    Senior Member Array Swerve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blowngt View Post
    The theory behind it makes sense. It sounds like there's been some testing done, but I'd love to see some real world results. That's alot of coin to drop, not to mention the PITA to install.....
    If they can be gotten through accufab cheaper it would be one of those things to do while you were upgrading pistons or freshening up rings/valves.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Similar Threads

  1. Secondary Tensioner Issue with Cams
    By torchred04 in forum 2003 - 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
  2. MMR billet secondary tensioner kit
    By pwrdbypsi in forum Turbo Modular
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 01:21 PM
  3. Thump RRR Billet tensioner NEW
    By avexhype in forum Power Adders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
  4. WTB: 4V secondary timing chain tensioner
    By Tabres in forum Engine Parts
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
  5. Billet Tensioner 1 STI 0
    By thump_rrr in forum 2005 - 2010 Mustang GT
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM