Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default MMR billet secondary tensioner

Link to info posted on turbo forums.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...;topicseen#new

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Tractionless's Avatar

I was thinking it was for the inner accessory belt, ho hum. Not a lot of metal cam chain tensioner failures out there anyway. From what I've seen it's mostly the plastic ones.

dude its to correct the problem with the passenger tensioner changing the cam timing. I guess you didnt read the thread.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

They claim that the cam timing can be off by up to 7 degrees on the passenger side due to the tensioner being on the wrong side of the upper chain. The chain that connects the two cams together. Then they also claim that the power increase from correcting this design flaw will take the variance on the timing down to about 1 degree or less and gain 4-5 MPH in the 1/4? If that is true then why did it take so long for anyone to communicate this information? They are talking quite a bit of power there.

Senior Member Array Tractionless's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwrdbypsi View Post
    dude its to correct the problem with the passenger tensioner changing the cam timing. I guess you didnt read the thread.
    DUDE I read the friggin thread, obviously (well not to you) that's why I wrote "ho hum" as in disappointed. Maybe you should have inserted "timing" in the title, then we wouldn't have to guess which of the 3 tensioners you are referring to.
    Last edited by Tractionless; 08-11-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metaman View Post
    They claim that the cam timing can be off by up to 7 degrees on the passenger side due to the tensioner being on the wrong side of the upper chain. The chain that connects the two cams together. Then they also claim that the power increase from correcting this design flaw will take the variance on the timing down to about 1 degree or less and gain 4-5 MPH in the 1/4? If that is true then why did it take so long for anyone to communicate this information? They are talking quite a bit of power there.
    This is a John Mihovetz discovery, I can tell you that.

If only they weren't being sold by that dirty 3 letter word.....M----M----R...... Can someone else order some and then sell them to me? At least that way I wouldn't "actually" be ordering from them.

Quote Originally Posted by shhakg View Post
    If only they weren't being sold by that dirty 3 letter word.....M----M----R...... Can someone else order some and then sell them to me? At least that way I wouldn't "actually" be ordering from them.
    Big 10-4 on that one.

You can get them through Accufab. Slightly cheaper to boot. = )

Quote Originally Posted by BLK_03 View Post
    Big 10-4 on that one.

You can get them through Accufab. Slightly cheaper to boot. = )
    Just might do that. I'm going to talk to Marvin when I take some stuff over to Bridge Racing Friday and see what he has to say about the whole idea.

Senior Member Array

I keep staring at it but I just can't figure out how it corrects the timing issue, let alone how it'll help you pick up 5-6 MPH

Especially at that price........

Quote Originally Posted by blowngt View Post
    I keep staring at it but I just can't figure out how it corrects the timing issue, let alone how it'll help you pick up 5-6 MPH

Especially at that price........
    The factory style tensioner keeps the tension on the wrong side of the chain on the passenger side. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can, but HELL, I KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY DAMMIT....LOL

Senior Member Array

The factory style tensioner keeps the tension on the wrong side of the chainon the passenger side. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can, but HELL, I KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY DAMMIT....LOL
    That's about the only part I understand. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how it 'fixes' timing and you pick up 5-6 MPH.......

From what I understand, the factory setup let's your timing dance around up to 7* on the cams on that bank. Keeping the tension on the correct side of the chain stabilizes the cam timing. I believe the 5-6mph came from the additional 5# of boost his car picked up from the corrected timing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I gathered...

Senior Member Array

From what I understand, the factory setup let's your timing dance around up to 7* on the cams on that bank. Keeping the tension on the correct side of the chain stabilizes the cam timing. I believe the 5-6mph came from the additional 5# of boost his car picked up from the corrected timing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I gathered...
    The theory behind it makes sense. It sounds like there's been some testing done, but I'd love to see some real world results. That's alot of coin to drop, not to mention the PITA to install.....

Quote Originally Posted by blowngt View Post
    The theory behind it makes sense. It sounds like there's been some testing done, but I'd love to see some real world results. That's alot of coin to drop, not to mention the PITA to install.....
    If they can be gotten through accufab cheaper it would be one of those things to do while you were upgrading pistons or freshening up rings/valves.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last