Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

How to bleed BREMBO's ???

15K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SPIRITED 
#1 · (Edited)
I have never bled brakes before, so can someone walk me through the bleeding proccess of these particular Brakes, step by step.

Any info provided will be greatly appreciated.

(GT500 BREMBO conversion)

Also, what brake fluid is recommended?

#2 · (Edited)
The order of bleeding should go like this:The order of bleeding should go like this:

Always start bleeding from the wheel that is FARTHEST away from the master cylinder. On a Mustang this is the Passenger side rear wheel.
Next, do the Driver's side rear wheel
Now do the Passenger side front wheel
Finally bleed the Driver's side front wheel.

you may want to buy a one man bleeder kit, $10 - $20.00, makes things a lot easier and follow bleeder instructions ONE MAN BRAKE BLEEDER KIT

Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap.

Fill the kit's refill bottle with fresh brake fluid and install it's cap. You will put this on the master cylinder once most of the fluid has drained out of the master cylinder.

Attach the bleeder hose and catch bag unit to the passenger side rear bleeder screw.

Slowly and carefully open the bleeder screw until brake fluid begins to seep out into the tube.

Pump the brake pedal until the master cylinder reservoir is ALMOST empty, BUT DO NOT LET IT RUN OUT OF FLUID! There should be about 1/4" of fluid above the bottom of the brake fluid reservior.

Quickly and carefully invert the refill bottle and set it into the neck of the reservoir. It should balance OK, but you may need to secure the bottle in its inverted position with tape. As the fluid from the reservoir drains, the refill bottle will replenish the supply until the brake fluid reaches the top of the reservoir. At that point the refill bottle will stop filling automatically.

Pump the brake pedal until the refill bottle is empty, BUT DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN OUT OF FLUID! If you do you'll have to start all over again!

Refill the brake bleeder kit refill bottle and continue the process until CLEAN, CLEAR, "honey" colored fluid starts coming out of the rear caliper.

When this happens, close the bleeder screw and remove the catch bag and hose. Make sure not to overfill the catch bag! If you need to empty it, CLOSE THE BLEEDER SCREW FIRST, then lower the bag below the caliper and remove the bag's hose.

Repeat steps 4 - 8 on the driver's side rear wheel, then the passenger side front wheel, finally on the driver's side front wheel.

if you are running with a manual trans., DOT 3 is all that you can use (slave cylinder requires DOT 3). auto trans, i would assume you can use a better quality than DOT 3

#3 ·
Do I really need to bleed the back brakes? I'm only changing the fronts

#4 ·
better safe than sorry, the rear brakes are the primary brakes, not the front like most cars

#5 ·
?????

#6 ·
The fronts are the primary!

#7 · (Edited)
1. Get russell speedbleeders, 3 packs (2 in each). Install one at each rear caliper, 2 at each front caliper.
2. Follow the bleeding order specified in post # 2
3. Place clear tubing over the speedbleeder tip, which leads to a bottle. Open the speed bleeder.
4. Get in the car and pump the brakes about 6-8 times
5. Close speedbleeder, torque to spec.
6. Refill master cylinder (you can overfill slightly)
7. Repeat for each calipers. The front calipers have 2 bleed screws each. Off the top on my head I can't remember which one gets bled first. See the shop manual link below.
8. Join S197 forum
9. Read these threads
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39313
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39915
10. Refer to the online shop manual
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1

#8 ·
no, ford modified the mustang so that the rear brakes are the primary stopping brakes to allow you to steer through a skidding problem.

#9 ·
Then how come they put the massive BREMBOs up front and the tiny little things in the back? You got it backwards

#10 · (Edited)
i only know what my installer and ford tells me. someone else step in here and correct me if i am wrong
i finally did a little research on my own, every where i look shows larger brakes on the front, but i talked to my installer and he stated the rear brakes grab first to allow steering through a skid, so i do not know what is correct anymore. i

#11 ·
Trying to understand what your installer might have meant....I can't. About 70% or more of your braking is done with the front brakes. It is remotely possible that the anti-lock brake tuning is set to keep the front wheels from locking longer than the rears, which allows you to steer and the reason anti-lock brakes works well in poor conditions. On clear roads anti-lock can actually make stopping distance longer but as computer power and controls gets better this will become closer. As it is the tires sliding is the weak link in stopping distance and weight transfer to the front is why front brakes take much more of the load when braking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.