'96-'98 knock sensors

+ Reply to Thread

Default '96-'98 knock sensors

I have tried several times to get some info on these and to then buy a pair/set with a couple responses but then no offers to sell them to me! Can anyone confirm what I have so far? They are 3/4" high and about 1 1/2 inches accross? Do the years listed take 12mm bolts to attach them, measure a bolt thread side to side with mics or calipers if needed. I have a TurboXs knock light and poor hearing so I need a set of sensors that fit the preceding specs. My motor is at modular Performance and John is waiting for me to send my SVO intake and the sensors so he can check and see if the sensors are going to fit or if the bosses will need to be cut down and if so by how much. Will somebody help out a member who had a motor ruined due to thios poor hearimng isue please? I will get this motor dyno tuned but still need the sensors for insurance against bad gas or conditions beyond my control as they will only warn me about knock but I will have to back off myself since I hnave a '99 GT ECM.
    First the size, 3/4" about right for the height? Are these years 12mm boilts? If you have a set will you sell them? Thanks, Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Hey,
    I have a set that I just took off a 97 cobra teksid, I will sell them to you for like $5 plus shipping. PM me.
    -Lee

Here are some pics of the sensors I got. Let me know.
    -Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Aré these knock sensors still available for sale

Have you called your local Ford dealership and checked the parts counter for availability, Mark?

The idea of backing off the throttle when the knock detector tells you knock is present is an urban legend that has the unhappy ending of costing you your motor almost as certainly as ignoring the audible (to the human ear) signature of knock.

If you genuinely want to protect your engine you need to use a J&S Vampire. It will detect the first occurrence of knock (in particular the knock that is inaudible to the human ear) and before the second ignition event for the offending cylinder it will pull a preprogrammed amount of timing from the ignition map for only that one cylinder. Remember this is all occurring in real time before the next ignition event for that cylinder! After that it will add back half of the timing that it pulled until it "hears' the sonic signature of knock again. When it does it will back off to the last known safe timing number for that cylinder.

The J&S system does all this 'stuff' in real time while the engine is under power. There is absolutely no other detection and correction technology available today anywhere from anyone. The J&S system is simply as good as it gets, period!

If you are serious about detonation protection this is the website => J&S Electronics

In the FWIW bucket J&S has been offering this technology for almost three decades so far.

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 10-27-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar

Very informative Ed! Question, is the knock sensor the Vampire uses any different that the ones ford offers on the teksid blocks? I wanted to put the Vampire's provided knock sensor in one of the factory used holes in the valley but the bolt sizes are different.

The Bosch knock sensors come with a large and small bolt hole. I think the small is 8mm and the large is either 9 or 10mm. If I had to guess I would guess 10mm, Jeff.

Just make up (or buy) a step stud with the sensor diameter on one end and the block boss diameter on the other. You will be good to go.

Ed

That's exactly what I was thinking Ed. Thanks buddy!

11. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread