Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dilemma I found a very cheap set of 17'ss for my 96 they are the stock 94 GT rims. Would these slow my car down versus my 16's I have now. Or should I get another set of 16's to mount DR's on instead. I am working towards draglites and skinnies but not sure on driving it everyday with that combo

·
Registered
289 Posts
They won't help you much. They are bigger, probably slightly heavier. Also you will have less sidewall to work with so less traction. I'd say save your money for the draglites.

What is your concern about driving on draglites every day? I've been driving on pro stars for nearly 3 years now without a single issue.

P.S. Feel free to send those 17" 94 wheels my way I'm looking for a set for my '87. ;)

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to skip straight to the Draglites but I also want to run a MT ET street on them and I drive 90 miles a day. I am thinking of selling my 16's as I have 7 of them and also the 17's if I can get a hold of them and getting the Draglites skinnies and rear and then getting an extra set of rears for street

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have also heard that you need new lugs and studs I am checking into that tonight but info is hard to come by on that

·
Registered
289 Posts
I drive 70 miles round trip to work every day but on regular pep boys or BFG radial tires. To be truely safe yes you do need longer race studs up front. I used the ones from Steeda which require you to drill out your front hubs for them to work. I also had to use a 7/16" spacer (reason for needing longer studs) but I'm not sure you may have to grind down your caliper as well.

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you get that 7/16 spacer at Bill I wrote down the lug nuts size that you posted on Stangent for me I am looking at the studs on steeda right now I am guesing they are the 3"

·
Registered
289 Posts
The spacers I got from a local auto store (pep boys or discount auto) and yes the front studs from Steeda were 3".

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts