Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definately bummed out. Tried to install my new wheels and tires today. After taking the time to machine-down a brand new pair of factory IRS upper cradle bolts for clearance, I install the rear wheels only to find that the left rear tire sidewall jambs itself into the left side upper cradle bracket...turns out the bolt is the least of my problems!! This is jacking the car up from under the lower control arm, too. Forget trying to jack the car from the torque box. On the ground, the tire is into the bracket. The right tire cleared the bracket (and bolt) by about 1/4".

I'm really pissed about this, considering how many guys claim they never even changed the upper bushing bolts and had no fitment problems.

Anyway, like it or not, unless anyone has any other suggestions, it looks like a call to Fred Goeske at wheeladapter.com for some custom machined concentric wheel spacers is in order. I hate the thought of having to use spacers, though. Figures, my figgin' luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Race Rat.
Funny you should mention that. Naturally I spent a lot of time with this thing today, and did give it a few wacks. Before I brought out the heavy artillery though, after thinking about if for a while, I felt that if I bent the bracket that much, I might stress or **** the upper bushing, since it mounts into that bracket. You actually saw this fix work on the same wheel and tire combo?
BTW, appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Fred G said:
You actually saw this fix work on the same wheel and tire combo?
BTW, appreciate the info.
Yes...it did work, no problems with the bushing or the bracket and it was 17x10.5 AFS 03 rims with 315 BFG KD's.
Sorry I can't give you more detail, but I ran away and covered my ears while he was doing it. LOL

·
Registered
174 Posts
A) The spacers only change the problem. You'll clear the bolt and bracket but now you'll need to roll your fenders. The outside edge of each wheel will now come in contact fender when you hit a deep bump/pothole. This will slash the rubber right at the shoulder.

B) DO NOT drive the car with BFG KD's if its even slightly wet. Just park it. Even on a low speed off ramp, they will sliently snap oversteer you right into a curb, in the opposite direction you were driving. They are NOT wet compatiable. Fantastic dry traction however.

I just ordered a new pair of Nitto's 315s and a new wheel to fix both these problem. The Nitto's are about 6/10" of an inch thinner than the BFGs. In either case, the 10.5" wheels can't make use of the contact patch of the BFGs so they are a waste of money.

John

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys, maybe I will get the bigger sledge hammer out, I gotta think about this. I borrowed a few generic cheapo spacers, just to try for fitment. I thought if I could keep the spacer to within 3/16", that wouldn't be too bad, I guess.

Gaynor, I don't think this will push the tire out far enough to hit the wheel opening lip. Also, not a prob with the rain. The only water this car sees is from the end of a wash hose.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A 7/32" sacer and the "undy" bolt mod is what's needed. I'm currently on my second set of 315 "KDs" on the 10.5s with no problems. You don't need to roll the fender either. I've probably done more research on this ( and used to supply the "hub concentric" spacers too) than anyone else. BTW... my KDs do fine in the rain.. no driveability problems at all after 9k miles..

Do some search work on SVT PERFORMANCE. I've got numerous threads on the subject. I even tried to get some sponsoring vendors to take over the spacer business with no luck..

Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
some pics on the subject... Custom made from billet aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
"undy bolt mod" Grind the head down enough to clear but not too far where the socket/wrench can't grab it good. You can do it in place with no problem.. Takes 5 minutes. I used a 4" electric angle grinder. Even while the car is jacked up and the tires are dangling theres no contact now... total piece of mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can see the clearance I now have between the bolt head and the side wall after the "undy bolt mod"..

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
hmmm..... The board won't let me post any more pics.. and it deleted some other pictured replys i made?? werd..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I also posted over at SVT and I guess while you were posting here, I was over at SVT downloading your pix and PM'ing you to order a set of you spacers. I'm pretty anal when it comes to this stuff, and I wish I had done more homework before yesterday....I'd be driving the car right now with your spacers on it now if I had. During the week, I replaced the IRS cradle bushings with MM's and went so far as to buy new factory upper bushing bolts and machine, not grind, the heads down, for clearance. The damn bolts look like they were made that way. What can I say... anal. So, in either case, if you could either e-mail me direct, PM here, or call, so I can order up a set of you spacers, I'd appreciate it.

Also Dave, just wondering what springs your running in you car. You stated that there is no tire rub on the wheel lips and was wondering if that was more a result of higher ride height or the tire not being kicked out that far. I'm still running stock springs, and am contemplating a slight drop, either Eibach pro or Steeda Sports.
The guys at Steeda tell me that while both the Eibach and their Sport springs are about identical in spring rate, the Sport will produce less drop, which is what I'm looking for....Just need to get rid of a little of that excess gap over the tires, more so the rear than the front. I love the look of the slight foward rake, but am conerned that lowering the front on real workd streets will be a problem.
Thanks again...appreciate you help.
Fred Greco
[email protected]
516 798-1752

·
Registered
174 Posts
Undy,

I'm running the exaxt setup you've posted previously. The same spacers and IRS Bolt mod. Only difference is my car is a 99 Cobra IRS. There is defeinietly interference.

Might be a variation in production tolerences in the different years or track width that explains the difference. But its definitely an issue on my car. Buyer beware is the summary.

You running the BFG KD-W's or just plain KD's? The W's are rain worthy. The KDs shouldn't be pushed. Straight line traction in the rain is okay. Its the turns where they let go.

Just be careful.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts