Sounds like an exhaust leak but it's not

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Sounds like an exhaust leak but it's not

Finished my KB 2.1L kit install on my 4.6 2 valve. Everything is looking good so far but there is a new noise that can be best described as a dull exhaust leak. It is present only while under engine load of quarter throttle or more and is consistent with engine RPM.

I did not touch the exhaust system during the install so I verified it was not an exhaust leak by removing the belt from the blower and running the engine under load. The sound went away. I have also mostly ruled out detonation because it happens even when the engine is started cold. I know what real detonation sounds like and this noise is different, almost like a hammer hitting a pillow instead of a piece of iron.

At this point I can say with confidence that whatever is causing the sound is due to the blower installation, but being new to the technology I need some help with either the KB gurus or others who may have heard this. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Is your bypass valve clamp tight?

Quote Originally Posted by zipperhead View Post
    Is your bypass valve clamp tight?
    Yes I have checked all four clamps on the bypass valve and they are tight from the factory.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Does the blower change the way the exhaust sounds as it travels through the pipes? For example more cylinder pressure from air/fuel creates a greater combustion which creates a louder exhaust noise?

I haven't noticed a change in the external exhaust sound, just internal somewhere, which is really apparent when driving along a wall that allows the sound to echo back. Anyone?

I also just finished a 2.1 install on my 2001 KB kit. On my initial drive it was the first thing I noticed. Other than that all seems good. I did not touch the exhaust either. I thought my turbo on my honda sounded like it had some exhast leak, like a ticking but my tuner and installer said it was all good.

Does it sound like a slight ticking to you ? It sounds like a bad manifold on the early 2000's 5.4 liter ford trucks.....same sound to me.

Kenne bell have you heard of this at all?

yes it does sound like a ticking sound. I took it to Midas and had them look for an exhaust leak to be sure. They used a stethoscope and found nothing so I'm 100% confident it's coming from the Kb blower. I would really like to get this resolved because I can't stand the annoying ticking sound. It would be a shame to have such a flawless install ruined by this.

To be honest I don't think there is anything to be resolved. It just may be a sound you have to get used to. It's not really bad to me. I just like to know that things are perfect.

Senior Member Array GunGrey04Gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post
    To be honest I don't think there is anything to be resolved. It just may be a sound you have to get used to. It's not really bad to me. I just like to know that things are perfect.
    Disagree something is not right you need to find it ..My **** doesnt make any noises out of the ordanary other than a whine when I get on it..normal for a KB sc car.
    Last edited by GunGrey04Gt; 05-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGrey04Gt View Post
    Disagree something is not right you need to find it ..My **** doesnt make any noises out of the ordanary other than a whine when I get on it..normal for a KB sc car.
    Yeah you are right, turns out my BBK shorties are leaking. I was convinced it was normal becuase I didn't touch the exhaust when I did the install of the Kenne bell. I just probably always had a leak and it got worse with forced induction.

To the OP I would look toward the same thing.

Yeah you are right, turns out my BBK shorties are leaking. I was convinced it was normal becuase I didn't touch the exhaust when I did the install of the Kenne bell. I just probably always had a leak and it got worse with forced induction.

To the OP I would look toward the same thing.

My exhaust is all stock right down to the original mufflers. I doubt it would suddenly start leaking when it was never touched.

Have you checked both ends of the EGR tube? Did you have to wrestle it to get it where needed it to re-connect it during the install? Might be a possibility of an exhaust leak there if you were tugging on it.

How many miles are on your car? Even though you didn't touch the exhaust doesn't mean it there wasn't a small leak before and now with the extra pressure of air with forced induction you may be making a small leak audible now. My manifold bolts were loose on the driver's side so I tightend them and I hear nothing now and decided to buy kooks long tubes now anyway

Have you checked both ends of the EGR tube? Did you have to wrestle it to get it where needed it to re-connect it during the install? Might be a possibility of an exhaust leak there if you were tugging on it.
    I did have to bend the EGR tube a little to get the new intake manifold in place, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to make a hole in the tube. The end that bolts to the supercharger is not leaking as I have examined it for black exhaust soot. The other end is mostly impossible to check due to being so close to the firewall, unless you have any ideas on how to check it.

Well I stuck my head in the engine compartment and blipped the throttle with my hand and I heard the noise coming from that area that's when I decided on long tubes anyway. There are little welds that hold the bung for the EGR tube in the collector and I suspect maybe I had started to tear one of those little welds when I was wrestling with the EGR tube....Just an idea

I have checked the EGR tube going into the exhaust manifold and there are no signs of a leak. This rules out the entire exhaust system which leaves just the blower causing the ticking sound. I'm out of leads and options to check... This should be an easy diagnosis from kenne bell tech support...

The larger fuel injectors you have make a much louder ticking noise than the stock injectors. Also did you properly torque the bolts that hold the blower down? It's easy to over torque them so if you were careful maybe you didn't torque them down enough or you over torqued them and lost tension holding the blower assembly down and do not have a good seal now. You can get a smoke test done to see where you are leaking or maybe seafoam it to expose the leak

also it may not be an easy diagnosis by kenne bell tech support as you think as they were not involved with the installation so they will have to figure out which one of the 250 or so steps you messed up on.....pretty tough to do.

Their tech support told me I had an exhuast leak when I was convinced I didn't becuase I didn't touch my exhaust either but sure enough my shorties were leaking. Sometimes this is why companies only prefer to talk with authorized dealers instead of the end user because they have to try and walk you through and you just clog up the phone lines and waste their time opposed to the professional installer who doesn't need help with the petty things.
    Last edited by ajpturbo; 05-26-2011 at 10:01 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last