Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Doing Some Paint Work Myself (maybe)

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bartholomew1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have done some searching and have been trying to see what I would really be getting myself into if I did some minor paint work on my own. I have an 02 Mineral Grey GT and the hood is more or less coming apart paint wise. It had a crappy repaint on the hood when I got it and has been getting worse ever since. There are numerous chips and areas of open primer where the paint is flaking off. Igot a quote to paint the hood from two shops and both were around 500-600$. I grew up working with my dad in his auto detailing business so I know paint work isn;t cheap, especially when done right, but I wanted to see if I could save some money and do it myself.

If I did do it myself, I would go ahead and paint the rear wing (clear is developing lots of fine cracks in the clear), the valve covers, and my jlt intake to match the body color. I went to autocolorlibrary.com and found the PPG code for mineral grey.

For the hood, I was thinking of painting the center rise matte black and have the sides mineral grey. Since the total amount I am painting is relatively small, would I be better off just using a single stage? The acrylic enamel is 126.95 whereas the uerethane basecoat for two stage is $200 for a gallon. (Would I even need a gallon or would a quart or two do?).

As far as guns go, iI have seen a number that range from $75-150$ which would suit me just fine and will scour craigslist too for a used one. I will go with a HVLP I believe since I'll be doing this in the garage.

I looked online and will probably just rent a compressor that meets my needs(bout $60) for now and if down the line I find myself painting the car I'll buy one.

I figure if I pay to have the hood straight up repainted, then it will cost me $500. If I do it myself I figure the compressor rental, a gun, 2 quarts of paint, and miscallaneous stuff will come out under $500 but I will be able to paint the wing, valve covers, and intake as well. Plus I could do the matte finish on the hood in the center as well.

What do yall think? Am I thinking right or am I talking myself into it? Also, here is the car now if it helps:
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Tire Wheel

See less See more
#3 ·
The hood on the Mach is kind of close to what I had in mind, but on a GT hood. I was thinking something like this:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle Grille

I have worked in auto detailing for years and can handle wet sanding and finishing no problem. I think the degree of difficulty is manageable from what I have read and researched. ANyone done somehting like this themselves?

#4 · (Edited)
The hood on the Mach is kind of close to what I had in mind, but on a GT hood. I was thinking something like this:
View attachment 81171
View attachment 81170

I have worked in auto detailing for years and can handle wet sanding and finishing no problem. I think the degree of difficulty is manageable from what I have read and researched. ANyone done somehting like this themselves?
I also agree with this idea. Like the hood is black from center and the change the complete car's color. I think you black is prefect with the whole car and hood center is yellow or white.? What do you say about this.!!!

gold coast car hire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.