Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

What kind of paint should I use???

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DeMarcoRacing 
#1 ·
Well I am repainting my engine bay. Not able to get the car to a body shop, ive just got the entire car apart and would kill myself if i put everything back together without repainting this scratched up bay area. The car is dark shadow grey. I am NOT using dupli color that is out of the question because ive used it before and it never looks right. I need to know where I can get some decent paint that actually looks halfway decent after you get done. I dont have access to a spray gun or air compressor though. I dont need it to look like an oem job, I just need it to look alright without stooping to the levels of duplicolor and other low quality autozone type stuff. thanks

#2 ·
If you dont have access to a spray gun or compressor, you're restricted to Duplicolor.... If you can rent or borrow the proper equipment you can get great results, but you cant get away without the proper amount of air delivery and a good paint gun.

There have been articles on brushing and sanding paint smooth, but it's mostly a magazine trying to make a point.... you may have to hire somebody to do it after you prep the body. Theres' no easy answer to this one.

KT

#3 ·
I painted my entire engine bay myself with Krylon spray paint. I sprayed the grey primer and then shot the black. Krylon has a nice spray nozzle that didnt hurt my hand or arm after spraying for so long. no drops or anything. just make sure you spray your second coat within the first 24 hours or the paint will wrinkle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.