Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Custom Turbo Build Thread

93K views 578 replies 77 participants last post by  TKB 
#1 ·
This thread is a bit premature, but I'm pretty excited about it. A long time customer contacted me about doing a custom turbo kit on his new 2011 Mustang GT. He was a fan of the 3v car my old shop did (that still currently holds the record for the quickest 3v) and wanted to talk to me and get my opinion.

As many of you know, I work for Diablosport but do a fair amount of tuning at Power by the Hour in Boynton Beach FL. Jake over at PBH is a master at custom fabrication, his specialty being custom turbo kits. So after some conversations with Jake and the customer, he decided to send the car down and see what we can do.

Here are his requirements of the kit:

1)Super clean install
2)Work well with stock engine but be able to make 1000+rwhp with engine upgrades
3)Reliability - very important for him to have the kit reliable, basically OEM type fitment and tuning

Jake and I just finished up this gem on the dyno yesterday for you guys to get an idea of what Jake is capable of:

wastegates dump alongside of the exhaust

Car has twin 72lb injectors, new fuel system (custom by Jake) and runs on E85

Make 1049 rwhp and 1064 rwhp

Here's a video on the dyno

‪Ford GT Twin Turbo Compound Boost E85‬‏ - YouTube

Right now we are waiting on parts to arrive to get started on the 5.0. I will post up as many pictures as I can as we move along as well as information.

See less See more
#5 ·
Pretty soon. We just did that dyno yesterday. So I still have to drive it and get the rest of the tune squared away. Some people involved in the project are headed out on a 2 week vacation, so probably after they get back. So late Aug/early Sept

#4 ·
Simply beautiful work!

I suggested to another turbo outfit that for a race only
kit,flipping the headers would be a sick setup for those
doing the coyote swap in an older S197 ride,like me :)

#41 ·
That's a pic I have been wanting to see.
Got any side shots of those headers swapped side to side ?

It looks like the header clears the oil filter. :thumb3:

#16 ·
Finished up the GT tonight. Man that has to be one of the sickest rides I've ever been in. I've driven some 1000+ RWHP cars, but the instant 1000 RWTQ is what really gets you.

Some parts for the Mustang turbo kit started showing up today. For some reason they sent us 2 wastegates.:hmm:

#18 ·
Very nice looking work!! That is definitely one bad Ford GT!! Looking forward to the progress on the Mustang!!

#19 ·
This thread is a bit premature, but I'm pretty excited about it. A long time customer contacted me about doing a custom turbo kit on his new 2011 Mustang GT. He was a fan of the 3v car my old shop did (that still currently holds the record for the quickest 3v) and wanted to talk to me and get my opinion.

As many of you know, I work for Diablosport but do a fair amount of tuning at Power by the Hour in Boynton Beach FL. Jake over at PBH is a master at custom fabrication, his specialty being custom turbo kits. So after some conversations with Jake and the customer, he decided to send the car down and see what we can do.

Here are his requirements of the kit:

1)Super clean install
2)Work well with stock engine but be able to make 1000+rwhp with engine upgrades
3)Reliability - very important for him to have the kit reliable, basically OEM type fitment and tuning
Familiar looking car!

#26 ·
Cool Setup...all the best :)

#28 ·
That is great! Would love to see it there. :D

#33 ·
Thanks everyone. We are very excited about this build. We are still in the process of getting everything built and I will post some more pics as they become available. Right now we are mostly focused on making it to the Texas Mile but we are not going to rush it. If it doesn't make it, no big deal.

#35 ·
I have a question.

If you already have LT's could you run a rear mounted TT set up? Or would the LT's cause to much flow I guess the right way to put it. Or heat.

#36 ·
I have a question.

If you already have LT's could you run a rear mounted TT set up? Or would the LT's cause to much flow I guess the right way to put it. Or heat.
I think you should have a good header on the car more so for turbos than blowers. I just witnessed last week a turbo 2011 mustang lose 80 horsepower by putting the stock pipes and mufflers back on... It was crazy never would have thought, that a little change like that would cause that much power lose.

#44 ·
Pretty sure the flipped headers would hit many things on a stock car. The alternator would be one of the bigger things. For a swap it might work, on a race kit with no A/C etc. But I wouldn't want the flanges to be anywhere near where those end up. I think you may want to see what is behind door number one on the picture I posted. :)

#46 ·
Well, we are really taking our time so that means no Texas Mile for us. But things are going very nicely. The manifolds are done and the downpipes have been started. Hop to have those and the wastegates done this week and then start on the cold side.

So for now I'll leave you with a teaser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.