PROBLEM w/Compcams stage 2 XFI-SPR cams

+ Reply to Thread

Default PROBLEM w/Compcams stage 2 XFI-SPR cams

I am having issues w/ the comp cams stage 2 XFI-SPR cams with cam phaser limiters. Timing for them isn't getting set right this is the second shop I have taken the car too and they are having issues as well. The shop knows there stuff they have 3 stangs running over 1k hp each so im sure they will firgure it out but I neeed to know if anyone else is or has ever had any issues like this with this setup for an 2006 4.6 3V motor. Please let me know. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

you MUST have your engine’s computer reprogrammed for the engine to operate properly after installing the COMP Cams® Cam Phaser Limiters. Upon initial engine start up, the Ford factory computer does a diagnostic sweep test of the cam phasers. If the computer cannot get the cam phasers to reach their programmed maximum limit, an error mode occurs. The engine will continue to run in the “limp mode” and the cam phasers will not function properly. The guidelines for reprogramming are simple; just make sure that the maximum retard amount entered for any of the cam phaser tables in your tuning software does not exceed 20 degrees.

proper engine tuning guidelines shoild have come with the cams
    Last edited by JEFF 1; 08-10-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 06eleanor View Post
    I am having issues w/ the comp cams stage 2 XFI-SPR cams with cam phaser limiters. Timing for them isn't getting set right this is the second shop I have taken the car too and they are having issues as well. The shop knows there stuff they have 3 stangs running over 1k hp each so im sure they will firgure it out but I neeed to know if anyone else is or has ever had any issues like this with this setup for an 2006 4.6 3V motor. Please let me know. Thanks guys.
    Can you be more specific about timing not being set right? Are they mechanically timed correctly? Are these are 127500 cams?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Both shops say its going into open loop when ever you touch the throttle and the first shop could not figure it out and gave up literally told me to take it somewhere else. Second shop heard a knock/tapping from the top end and mentioned that the cam phasers might be installed incorrectly. I mentioned the table programming with no more than 20 degree timing when I dropped it off and they said they new about that. So they took the top end/valve covers and such off in order to look at the setup to make sure everything is in order. Im just tired of everyone telling me if I had a engine managment system it would be 100 times easier to tune. I have a sct handheld but I can't locate a ems for an 06 GT. Honestly im on the verge of going back to carburation. Im sick and tired of this computer crap.

who ever did the install should be correcting their install error. it is basicly a simple install and retune

Both shops say its going into open loop when ever you touch the throttle and the first shop could not figure it out and gave up literally told me to take it somewhere else. Second shop heard a knock/tapping from the top end and mentioned that the cam phasers might be installed incorrectly. I mentioned the table programming with no more than 20 degree timing when I dropped it off and they said they new about that. So they took the top end/valve covers and such off in order to look at the setup to make sure everything is in order. Im just tired of everyone telling me if I had a engine managment system it would be 100 times easier to tune. I have a sct handheld but I can't locate a ems for an 06 GT. Honestly im on the verge of going back to carburation. Im sick and tired of this computer crap.
    If I understand this correctly the shops are also doing tuning and they would prefer you have a stand alone ems vs the Ford spanish oak processor, is this correct? If it is and I was in your shoes I'd contact Eric Brooks or Manuel who goes by Lito on this board and ask them to tune it remotely because your local shops don't seem to have the skills that are needed.

I just received word from the second shop. The issue has been my driver side cam phaser. They are so sure that they are buyiing the part to replace it and. Wont charge me if it dosent fix the problem. Im hopeful that it does and will let you guys know. Thanks for the other bruceH! If this doesn't work ill definitely give your guys a try. Either way ill let you guys know. Thanks again!!!

Im really sorry for the delayed response. I completely forgot about this post here. The cam phaser was the issue and actually added livernoise cam phaser lockouts with the install of the phasers. I would like to find a complete phaser delete system if anyone can help considering I should be pushing around 650 horse and torque when tuned. Im gonna go with sniper I think. I don't want the stock damn pashers to be in there when pushng that much and even more down the road. Just seems like they will fail me again ya know...

A phaser lockout is just a couple of pieces of billet that prevent the cams from advancing too far. They are set and forget and should never fail. You'll be fine man. I'm glad the shop got it sorted for you. Hopefully the tune rocks and you're enjoying your car.

Im really sorry for the delayed response. I completely forgot about this post here. The cam phaser was the issue and actually added livernoise cam phaser lockouts with the install of the phasers. I would like to find a complete phaser delete system if anyone can help considering I should be pushing around 650 horse and torque when tuned. Im gonna go with sniper I think. I don't want the stock damn pashers to be in there when pushng that much and even more down the road. Just seems like they will fail me again ya know...
    Lockouts make the phaser a fixed gear, no need to do anything else but turn the vct switch off in the tune and set all vct cells to 0.

Thanks guys ill make sure it happens. One more thing though, anyone know how to COMPLETELY DELETE the DTC'S that show up because of the lockouts. I've tried deleteing them numerous times but it comes back a few miles down the road everytime. Its saying cam phaser sensor on both sides. I know its just the compuer being stupid but it is annoying. Plus id like to have the idiot light pop up if something is acttually going wrong other than those phasers. Ya know. Thanks again guys.

No more limiters for me! I have the 127450's, and had all sorts of timing and phaser issues with limiters installed. I put lockouts in, and had no issues in setting the timing, and locking it down.

My tuner wrote my a tune to fix the PCM issues. I don't know if he just changed the cam timing limits, or if he turned off the vct all together. Runs a hell of alot beter now.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
    Lockouts make the phaser a fixed gear, no need to do anything else but turn the vct switch off in the tune and set all vct cells to 0.

15. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread