Crank Tech - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 12345678 Last

Thread: Crank Tech

L&M Engines Array

While on topic, for years during Sun-N-Fun we would fly up to Jimmy Leewards Air Ranch in Ocala and join the picnic with the warbirds from the show.
    Usually a dozen P-51's, occasional F4U or FG, P-40, AD Skyraider, and a ton of one left flying WWII aircraft.
    Pretty cool times, but now that's all gone now that Jimmy Leeward passed. Great guy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    I have heard the F8 Bearcat would would turn circles around an F4U Corsair. The Mustang could out-climb the Zero which was the first American plane to be able to do so. Changed the tides of the war.
    The F8F bearcat was faster then a F4U Corsair but the Corsair was the first US Fighter to exceed 400mph but the Bearcat was to late for the war. It was actually on ships on their way to the Pacific when Japan surrendered The Mustang was used less then the Navy fighters in the Pacific and the Corsair and Mustang could out climb a zero depending on speed entering the climb(initial climb). The F4U and the F6F Hellcat that came before it used BNZ tactics, Boom N Zoom, to dive down on a enemy plane make a pass and use there overwhelming speed to pull away for another attack. The F4U was much more able to do what the pilot wanted because it held a 50 mph speed advantage over the F6F depending on altitude.

I could write this whole forum full of dissimilar aircraft comparisons but Ill stop there. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Michael-L&M View Post
    While on topic, for years during Sun-N-Fun we would fly up to Jimmy Leewards Air Ranch in Ocala and join the picnic with the warbirds from the show.
    Usually a dozen P-51's, occasional F4U or FG, P-40, AD Skyraider, and a ton of one left flying WWII aircraft.
    Pretty cool times, but now that's all gone now that Jimmy Leeward passed. Great guy.
    I used to be a member of the CAF when I lived in Georgia, there is nothing like the smell and sound of a V-1650 or a R-2800 firing up on cool foggy morning.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Ahhh, I see we have drawn out a lot of ex and current military and just plain aircraft enthusiasts with this one.

I'm overseas right now for a friend's daughter's wedding. Depending on internet access and quality I'll try to post responses but will get to everyone when I get back in a week.

Thanks for all the enthusiasm and shared knowledge.

Ed

Sounds like your having all the fun Ed. Where you at or is that classified? lol

Demented and old Array showme cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    I have heard the F8 Bearcat would would turn circles around an F4U Corsair. The Mustang could out-climb the Zero which was the first American plane to be able to do so. Changed the tides of the war.
    the corsair and the hellcat did all the damage in the pacific, i believe the bearcat didnt show up til almost the end of the war

Thanks to Administrator MF/Ken I am finally able to view the details starting on the first post of the thread , I think this is a great idea , I'm thinking the shank of the stud will add some rigidity to the crank snout also. Did you end up with much or any clearance between the stud shank and the crankshaft ? also after drilling did you ream to your final inside diameter ? Right on the money or slight interference would be perfect! What are you machining as far as keyway slots for the balancer/pulley drive ? You probably need to modify a balancer installer also, right ? Great tech !

Have a blast at the wedding !

Demented and old Array showme cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark8denny View Post
    Thanks to Administrator MF/Ken I am finally able to view the details starting on the first post of the thread , I think this is a great idea , I'm thinking the shank of the stud will add some rigidity to the crank snout also. Did you end up with much or any clearance between the stud shank and the crankshaft ? also after drilling did you ream to your final inside diameter ? Right on the money or slight interference would be perfect! What are you machining as far as keyway slots for the balancer/pulley drive ? You probably need to modify a balancer installer also, right ? Great tech !

Have a blast at the wedding !
    ck out mofasta's engine build thread for pics of the custom hub and balancer

Thanks guys ! nice mofasta build , although I am running a different balancer , this tech works for me ! My lethal Lincoln is going to love this !

Moderator Array

Just out of curiousity, how do you plan to mount a degree wheel to that stud?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
    Sounds like your having all the fun Ed. Where you at or is that classified? lol

Taiwan for the wedding of a friend's daughter. Trust me it is more fun back home.

BTW have any of you ever noticed at weddings all the women are grinning ear to ear and all the men, save one, are straight faced. The only guy smiling is the groom - he still hasn't figured it out yet.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by markolson View Post
    Just out of curiousity, how do you plan to mount a degree wheel to that stud?
    Mark,

I think you mean the reluctor. Both the reluctor and the lower timing gear will need to be opened up to 1.4" in diameter with the keyways deepened also. Not real tough but not a walk in the park either.

Here is some more info on the crank mod and why in another thread clic here => Crank Mod Info

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 02-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Moderator Array

Actually, I was curious about attaching a degree wheel for degreeing the cams. I have the Comp Cams crankshaft socket http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-4798/. Will that socket still fit after the crank mod?
    Last edited by eschaider; 02-15-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markolson View Post
    Actually, I was curious about attaching a degree wheel for degreeing the cams. I have the Comp Cams crankshaft socket http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-4798/. Will that socket still fit after the crank mod?

Apologies Mark, the eyes are tired and the fingers are too. Didn't mean to click the edit button on your post.

The short answers is no because the snout is bigger at 1.4 inches. If you use one of the cinch lock type centers that have a mandrel held in place by the snout bolt with a locking mechanism for locating the degree wheel on the mandrel then you are good to go.

Ed

Ed,

What do you think about this crank? It is forged 4340 with .125 inch radius fillets for the snout, main and rod journals. I would still do the 9/16 inch stud mod with this.

http://www.modmaxracing.com/product_...8135545933.htm
    Last edited by Rickyll7; 04-21-2012 at 12:32 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 12345678 Last