Huuuge project... Need input - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    To say that bonding with your car is lame...IS LAME! Every guy on has bonded, is currently bonding, or will bond with their cars in the near future. Since the pistons are already out and easily swappable...if they're willing to make a trade, a bump in compression to 9-9.5:1 would make for a little more grunt off-idle and down low. For use with a Vortech, and low boost (under 21-30 psi) I would DEFINITELY bump the compression to at least 9:1. If it helps -11.5cc dish with stock cobra gaskets and heads yields 9.2:1 compression. That's what I used in my build. I just got home myself dude...was at the KGZ for 6 months and change.

Hey I bonded with a granite surface plate just two weeks ago!

I left a tube of super glue open on the plate and then sat down to eat a hamburger. I mean to tell you that glue is impressive - tore a hole in the seat of my jeans and I wasn't on the plate but a few seconds!

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Hey I bonded with a granite surface plate just two weeks ago!

I left a tube of super glue open on the plate and then sat down to eat a hamburger. I mean to tell you that glue is impressive - tore a hole in the seat of my jeans and I wasn't on the plate but a few seconds!

Ed
    hahahaha, that gave me a good laugh. I've done that before, but actually bonded with the chair at my work bench.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I've been wanting to pick up a wideband kit and an a/f gauge too. Anybody using one or know of a good kit at a decent price? I think its a must for me. I don't need all the crazy ecu to pc connections and stuff, just a solid kit to monitor w/ gauges. I've heard the standard non wideband gauges don't really read very accurately

http://www.plxdevices.com/

I got the dual bank...amazing stuff.

wow, that looks awesome. i can't find anythign specifically stating dual bank... did you have to purchase the module and the gauge seperately? cuz the dm-200 OBD II 60mm says its 259, but the content list doesnt show the wideband o2 sensor in the parts list. I definitely wanna pick it up though

You just get two modules and sensors...one gauge reads all of them.

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

I don't think the compression bump is a necessity. The long runner mach intake will promote some low rpm grunt. Combine that with set of 4.10's or 4.30's and you'll be happy with it. The T-trim is a nasty blower, but you'll want to spin it pretty good to see any improvement over an S-trim.

On a side note, I'm stationed at Miramar (don't know where you are), and I have the fuel tank/pumps/hat out of my 03 cobra I'll let go for $450 if you'd rather go that route.

I'm at pendleton, I am planning on spinning it pretty hard. I'm looking to pick up 4.10s so I'm not 100% sure on the comp bump. 8.5 just seems safer and I can use more boost.. a drop in comp of 1.5 will only lose like 20hp? And it is way safer especially considering effective compression w/ boost in the teens... Dang! I looked everywhere for a cobra tank pumps! I wish I'd have known u had one, I already bought dual focus pumps. Thanks for the info. Know any good tuners around us? Also... What do you think about wideband o2s? I'm looking at a plx kit.

Probably the best tuner around here would be Racers Edge Tuning. They are in Downey, CA though. It'd be worth the haul. If you're interested in tuning it yourself, you could pick up the SCT Pro Racer package.

I tune my car myself and I use the dynojet Wide Band Commander. I turbo'd my cobra in 2005 and I'm still on the stock longblock, so I must have done something right. I like the dynojet setup because it uses a gauge that matches my other gauges and the OEM stuff pretty well. It is a nice box that allows some logging, nitrous controls, and also has a warning LED that lights up if you're drifting lean (you can adjust this). Of course, the WBC isn't the end all-be all of widebands. The PLX stuff is really nice as well.

I think people tend to think centri's don't work well with 8.5:1 compression because of the procharger kits for 2003 cobras. The consensus is that the low compression is what makes the car a dog in the lower rpm range, when in reality, it's the intake manifold. Short intake runners reduce bottom end torque and build power up high. The factory lower (which the procharger kit uses) is extremely short (about 2 inches), so it sacrifices serious bottom end grunt to gain serious power up high. The problem is, you can't rev the cobra motor high enough to get in the rpm band of a 2'' runner. It'd probably make power from 5000-12000rpm. Bumping static compression will not make an optimal package out of that.

yeah, spankin time is givin me the run-around. I'll call RET today and talk to them. excellent point about the runner length, plus I'm probably picking up 4.10s so i'll get into the boost much more quickly. i dont see the compression being a big issue. its a minimal loss anyway. there's another guy on svt performance "swervo" thats in svtperformance who's at miramar too. He has a grabber blue 5.0 and used to have a turbo mach 1. But you probably know him anyway. Great info man, and your car looks great by the way.

5.0 carlo on another forum mentioned Racers edge also. and you both have insane cars, so i'd say thats evidence enough for me if you both recommend it

I appreciate the compliments. I don't know anyone out here with quick mod-motors unfortunately. I need to get out more. Definitely give RET a call , I'm sure they can take care of you. Also, the combo you're putting together isn't that "off the wall" so someone such as Eric Brooks would be able to send you a mail order tune and get pretty close. Definitely good enough to get the car up and running/drivable.

Quote Originally Posted by smashedheadcat View Post
    ... On a side note, I'm stationed at Miramar ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtboylan View Post
    I'm at pendleton ...
    You guys definitely need to get together. My geography says about 30 miles or so between you. There are no acceptable excuses!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    You guys definitely need to get together. My geography says about 30 miles or so between you. There are no acceptable excuses!

Ed
    We are definitely close. With me having a 6 month old kid, it's hard for me to find the time to get out and play (or turn wrenches). It's not impossible though.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last