Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1996 Cobra Suspension options

8K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  TwoStangTony 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to do some work on my 1996 Cobra, and need some help selecting a good lowering kit. I've already bought Steeda's X2 balljoints and bumpsteer kit, as my car need balljoints. I have'nt been able to decide which lowering springs would be best, and want a really agressive ride height. I just got 315/35/17's on the back, and the rear of the car sits nice, but really makes the front look like a 4x4... Any input would be appreciated, Thanks

#2 ·
Well, I'd recommend the UPR Pro Series springs, for a 1.5" drop with a decent ride. But you specifically said "really aggressive ride height" which usually means coilovers.

I guess if you want to define what really aggressive ride height means to you, I'll make more specific recommendations.

#3 ·
Thank you for your input Sharad. I measured my clearance from the top of the tire to the fender, and right now i'm 1-inch in the rear and 2.5inch in the front. Are coilovers in the same price range as the lowering springs? I was looking to spend around $300 for the Eibach springs from American Muscle, but had'nt really shopped around.

#4 ·
No problem. Like I said, I'd actually recommend our Eibach springs, and we only charge $199 for the set.

But if you want to go REALLY low, this is the least expensive option we carry:

Front coilover kit:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-silver-front-coil-over-springs-kit.html

CC-plates, required for use with the coilovers:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-steel-caster-camber-plates-94.html

Adjustable spring kit for the rear:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-adjustable-spring-mount-springs.html

^^That setup is $495 with the modularfords discount. (Also, all parts are Made in America and carry a Lifetime Guarantee). Now, this is an adjustable spring kit in the rear, not a coilover shock setup. It accomplishes the same thing, but if you want a true bolt on coilover shock setup, it's about $50-100 more for the setup, depending on which coilovers you choose.

#5 ·
Thanks Sharad, those parts definately seem like more of what i was leaning towards, thank you!! One more quick question, a buddy of mine has Steeda CC plates that he's willing to give to me, fairly cheap. Would I be able to use UPR's Coilover kit, with the Steeda CC's, or are they UPR coilover specific?

#8 ·
I'm not very familiar with steeda's cc plates, but the coilover kits are not specific to one particular type of cc-plate, so I feel pretty confident that UPR's coilover kit would work with your buddy's steeda cc plates.

This went from backburner project to immediate need yesterday.... Had a rear caliper freeze up and eat my pad/rotor. WELL while i was already in the rear wheelwell, decided to start taking stuff apart. Shock was shot, Quad shock is out as well, wont remove the springs until I get new ones though. But thats where I sit, payday is Wednesday and plan on getting as much as I can...
Okay, here's the deal, I can PM you the discount code for you to order the parts online, but if you want to do this quickly and easily, call the shop at 561.588.6630 and tell them that you discussed your build with me and you need the modularfords discount. They can get you squared away over the phone. Let me know when they get you taken care of.

#7 ·
This went from backburner project to immediate need yesterday.... Had a rear caliper freeze up and eat my pad/rotor. WELL while i was already in the rear wheelwell, decided to start taking stuff apart. Shock was shot, Quad shock is out as well, wont remove the springs until I get new ones though. But thats where I sit, payday is Wednesday and plan on getting as much as I can...

#9 ·
im stuck on the damn quad shocks. I decided i would go ahead and replace them, along with the other suspension components. BUT on the last bolt..... cant get it out. Out of ideas. Its the quad shock bolt that goes into the rear end housing, and ive had a breaker bar on it, hammer, soaked it for the past 4 days in a "break free" - nothing. desperate need for help, this is frustrating the hell out of me!!

#11 ·
Couldnt get the impact into the space to remove the bolt, as it was on the backside of the bracket. Behind the brake assembly, spring, exhaust etc.. eventually i loosened up my exhaust, got a huge breaker bar on it and broke it loose by a benchpress move. after only 4 days of trying haha!

#13 ·
OUCH! that makes me re-thing wanted to buy an aluminum driveshaft.... Yeah what took me the longest time was the fact that there is a "false" bolt on the outside of the bracket, welded in. So here I am, exhausting myself literally standing on the damn thing, only to realize that there is no way in heck thats coming out haha. Whenever you think it will be easy, think again...

#18 ·
I use Eibach Pro springs and cut 1/2 coil off the front and use weight jacker lca's in the rear.Sits very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.