Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1998 DOHC Cobra Smoke @ start-up

4K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  CopMagnet 
#1 ·
I have a mostly stock 1996 Cobra, with a '98 Cobra motor swapped into it. Motor has around 110k on it, and was rebuilt from a spun bearing around 30k ago. I don't drive the car daily, and have noticed that after it sits for around 4-5 days, on startup shes lets out a blue cloud. I've done a fairly good tune-up on her, plugs, wires, coil-packs, o2's, so I don't think that could be an issue. She does have the notorious CEL from an off-road H (MIL Eliminators didnt work...). Does'nt smoke on idle, or revs. Could this be rings? valves? any input is greatly valued.

#4 ·
eh, there not that difficult to rebuild. its easiest to pull the heads off to rebuild them.

pretty much you just pop the cams off, then use a spring compressor and compress the springs, remove the retaining clips, the uncompress the spring, the disc, and spring will slide roght off, and the valve drops out the bottom.

this is where is sucks to own a 4v motor, ahaha..

#5 ·
bahaha yea doing 32v would kinda blow, and be more expensive. I just checked some other terminator threads that say they contacted SVT/dealers and they say its normal :/ saying that it has to do with the modular motors etc... Just pisses me off that my 220k mile 5.0 doesnt smoke at all, EVER! :rock:

#7 ·
One guy on a Mach1 thread had a pretty good point. I'm going to butcher it, but it was basically that the oil leaks down into the valve stem and is right there, ready to burn when the engine is started. Guessing thats my issue, the motor doesnt leak/burn any oil, is perfect every time. The only reason I was making a big deal out of it is that its a rebuilt motor, at least internally, and i'm not sure who did the rebuild and how competent they were, etc.

#9 ·
oh yeah i dont think they touched the heads. From the looks of the motor when i first got it, The owner wasnt like us, how we spend hours detailing our engine bay-etc. This thing was trashed, the pix of the car on my FB show some of the original filth. Anyways I think they only replaced the spun bearing, and thats about it. Overall the motor runs good, and pull alright- which you are witness :harhar:. I was just worried that it could potentially be the beginning of a serious issue...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.