Help with tire selection. 26 or 28"

+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with tire selection. 26 or 28"

Ok im on the fence about getting some tires for the track. Im looking into getting the hoosiers qtp's or et streets. Where im stuck at is should i get 26 or 28 inch tires. They are going on 16 in rims. My car is lowered and i still have the 3.55's. I have a ford racing cover being shipped and i bought the ftbr front and rear diff support bushings (also being shipped). So until then my rear is stock. I have a 2 step and will be leaving with it so what ever you guys think is the best tire for my set up please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

power level, power adder, target trap speed?

The taller the side wall the easier it is on the drive train and the better your launch. The shorter your sidewall the harder it is on the drive train and the worse your launch. If funds permitted and if ride height allowed, I would consider a 15" rim and a 28" tire with a 3.73 or 4.10 ring and pinion (depending on power level).

Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Ok thanks guys. Im not really trying to do the grinding to put the 15s on. I have a 2.8 kenne bell at 18lbs. Im just really trying to get in the low 11s for now being that im on low boost. After i do long tubes and upgrade the fuel system ill be on 23-25 lbs all day being this is not my daily driver. Then im hoping for 10s. I still will hold on to the 3.55 for now though. Broke 7 are you running stock gears?

Ed do you think going to 28 on stock gears ill be slower through the traps since that will knock the gearing down?

I'd go with the 28" tires and forget about the 26" ones. I'm still a firm believer that less gear in most of the 03/04's is faster/quicker. Unless it's an all out drag car then it's up in the air.

cool posi, thats what im going to order.

I would go with 26's if your running a 3.55.......

28's if your running a 3.73

I ran 26's most of the time. Swapped to a 28 with the 3.55's, didnt like it, so I swapped to the 3.73's, and it was much better.

I run 28s with 3.55s
    Power is 650+
    If I grenade the diff I will go with 3.73s but it's working well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Quesplosive View Post
    Ed do you think going to 28 on stock gears ill be slower through the traps since that will knock the gearing down?

That depends on the engine's power and torque. Higher power cars require less mechanical advantage to launch and provide higher trap speeds both because of the power level of the engine and also how tall the ring and pinion ratio is. Taller ratios (smaller numbers) require more power but deliver more trap speed.

Ed

Ok guys im about to order the 28's tomorrow. Again, my car is lowered, will that cause a problem with these tires?

Easy solution I did it on my car put drag bags in the springs there cheap and will help on the launch .
    When you put your regular wheels back on just deflate them problem solved

15. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread