Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

2005 Whipple GT with Engine noise soemtimes

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  1fst_GT 
#1 ·
A friend of mine recently had a problem with his Whippled GT and were having a really hard time fixing it, the car has a built engine, ported heads ( stock cams and phasers ).

The issue is that when on second gear and i slightly rev the car to move it, the engine keeps shaking like hell and sounds like a deisel engine. to make it go away, i have to rev it past 4k rpm or turn it off and start her up again.

problem also someitmes occures when downshifting on low speed from 3rd to 2nd gear

we swapped new phaser lockouts, new cam sensors, new cam bolts, new cam timing kit.

I ran out of ideas, and the only check engine code is the cam sensor.. ( WHICH I MADE SURE THE HARNESS CLIP IS CLEAN AND GOOD )

#2 ·
A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
• a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
•the camshaft position sensor may have failed
•the PCM may have failed
•there exists an open circuit
•the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
•Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
•Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
•Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
•Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
•Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
•Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
•Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

#3 ·
Ok, Just went through all you listed except the PCM. Still no use.

#4 ·
ok, I swapped the whole PCM and retuned the car. Problem still exists... I am about to just lite her on fire.

#5 ·
Is it insured? Just kidding. Any positive progress?

#6 ·
I ran out of ideas to be honest, I even tried to retune the vehicle and came up with no positive. I will be taking out the engine and sending the crankshaft to check its balance.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.