Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

my kenne bell 2.6 2v build

31K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  tri99gt 
#1 ·
hey guys im new to the site want to share my build with you.
I have a 2000 sunburst gold mustang gt. i bought the car a couple years ago mostly stock with an exhaust and a k&n intake. right away wasn't enough for me and i ended up putting a saleen IV series supercharger on it along with 18" chrome saleen wheels, spec aluminum flywheel, stage 2+ clutch, aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, bbk long tube headers, o/r h-pipe, and a magnaflow catback.

it made 328rwhp 349rwt (before full exhaust and alminum driveshaft and flywheel) which i was very happy with at the time but the motor had just just hit 100,000 and i wasn't very easy on it, could feel it losing power. so before something went in the motor and ruin the blower i took it off and sold it. figured i would put a 100 shot wet kit on the car to keep me happy through the summer i knew the motor wasnt going to last but i had big plans anyway so i planed on buying a new motor in the future. it lasted all of 10 mins:mad2:

anyway this is the car

ive always wanted to have a kenne bell with big hp. IMO nothing sounds better than a screeming kb. so now with a blown motor its the perfect time to build one. i plan on having the car for mostly drag racing but also be able to drive it on the streets to car shows and cruises. heres the future plans

motor/trans/rearend:
-shrader 800m shortblock 9:1 comp
-trickflow heads
-custom cams
-kenne bell 2.6, 21psi pulley ratio
-snows stage 3 water/meth injection
-built th400 trans with pro tree transbrake
-neil chance 4000 stall converter
-custom chrome alloy driveshaft with unbreakable universals
-strange 35 spline axles
-c-clip eliminators
-minispool

fuel system:
-glenns performance sumped tank
-aeromitive a1000 fuel system
-80# injectors

cooling:
-meziere electic water pump
-mishimoto radiator
-mishimoto electric fan, fan shroud

suspension:
front:
-mm k-member
-mm coilovers tokiko 10 way adjustable struts, 175lb coils
-aluminum stearing rack bushings
rear
-mm heavy duty torque arm
-mm lower adustable control arms
-mm panhard bar
-tokiko 10 way adjustable shocks
-h&r race coils (260-280 spring rate)
-mm adjustable weld in rear swaybar
-s&w racecars 8 point roll bar

im sure im forgetting a bunch of stuff but thats everything off the top of my head. alot of these parts i already have installed or waiting for me to install (mostly suspension stuff i dont have the motor yet). i have pictures right along as i go but thats all i can type for now lol

See less See more
#4 ·
first thing i did was pull the motor so i could see what the nitrous did. it was a PITA because i couldnt pull my motor with a cherry picker the long tube headers woudnt fit had to drop the whole k-member.

then i pulled the heads off to find this.

now that the motor is out i decided to clean up the engine bay and ordered myself some scott rad inner fenders. way more work than i expected. i welded them in and did all the body work myself and then had a painter buddy of mine come and prime them. then i wet sanded for hours :yawn: and he came back and painted the engine bay right in my garage. im pretty happy with the way they came out.

#8 ·
bought a 6 point s&w race cars roll bar and also bought some corbeau seats and put them in he car so when the roll bar was being installed he could tweak it to fit just right around the seats and doors. came out pretty sweet.

im not really liking the hoop he put in for my harnesses thinking about redoing it maybe a little wider so both belts with pieces in middle seperaterate them

while he had the car i had him weld in my maximum motorsports subframe connectors . i could have done it to save a little $ but his welds look so nice so just asked him to do it

#12 ·
Nice build. After owning the 1.7, 2.1, 2.6 and now the 2.8H on a 2V, I can say they are great blowers. The 2.6H however really doesn't scream like the old 1.7 did on the GT and 2.2 on the Cobra. The most impressive part is the torque. It is insane and will make you giggle like a school girl. I am running my 2.8 at just 12 psi (in 100 degree heat) and is making about 425 Ft lbs at the tires @ only 2500 rpm. The impressive part is at 6000 it is still making 450 ft lbs at the tires. The absolute flatest torque curve I have ever seen. The 2.6 was just as impressive.

They are a great supercharger and you won't be disappointed.

Attachments

#15 ·
Lol. I actually just bought a 2.2. I should be somewhere between 18-20 lbs of boost. I know my buddies termi screams and i hope mine is just as impressive as his. Good luck with the build

#22 ·
Good luck on the Shrader block.. Also, if I'm not mistaking, you'll have to grind on the heads and KB for them to match up. Atleast that what I have read and here when I did my build lastyear.. I wanted to put a KB 2.8 on mine..

#24 ·
Steve does a wonderful job on his motors. I have 0 complaints on it. I had him install all the stuff. Flew to NC and drove the car back to TX about +900 miles with no NO problems with it at all. To me that says something about his workmanship. I have also know Steve for over 10 yrs as well. To me as honest as they come. I had no worris on the built he did for me and I was out of the country while all the work was being done as well.

#25 ·
now to the rear end. probably a little overbuilt but wanted to make sure there is no way I'm going to break this thing.
strange 35 spline axles, c-clip eliminators, mini spool, 3:73 gears and a trick flow diff cover.I'm probably going to regret putting the 3:73 back in the rear end im thinking im going to run out of gear in the quarter but it will be close if i do no big deal ill just change them.

#28 ·
i have all of the suspension in and the car is a roller. up front I'm running
maximum motorsports k member
tokiko 10 way adjustable struts
a 175lb coil
mm caster camber plates
mm bumpsteer
and aluminumbushingschings

now for the rear
mm heavy duty adjustable lower control arms
mm heavy duty torque arm
mm panhard bar
tokiko 10 way adjustable rear shocks
h&r race rear coils (280lb)
mm 1 1/4" 250 wall weld in adjustable sway bar

#31 ·
hey guys haven't been keeping up on my build thread very well. there's been a few changes in the plan. originally I was planning on buying a short block from shrader but I ended up getting hooked up with a guy in Fitchburg, ma pk machine. anybody dealt with him before?

he just finished a kenne bell 2v build and made some great numbers with it. unfortunately I brought my motor there at the busiest time of the year so ive been waiting for it for a while now. he says the rush is just about over for him so hes going to start making some progress on it. last week he ordered my trickflow twisted wedge heads and comp custom grind cams.

we test fit the kenne bell with a pair of trickflows twisted wedge heads that he had in the shop it doesn't fit but it is an easy fix. there is just extra aluminum in the trickflow casting a little time on the cnc machine is going to take care of it no problem.

as for the car made a little progress with it cant do too much more till I get the motor back though

I took some plywood and cut it and sanded it down till it fit perfectly in the spare tire well and then cut a door in it so I could get to my snows water meth pump.

I didn't like the cheap straps snows give you with the 2.5 gallon tank so I bought 2 steada battery holders with some threaded rod. a couple people said they didn't like the threaded rod but I think it looks pretty decent.

got my taylor battery box mounted along with the shutoff switch and most of the wiring

also got my brake lines and line lock tucked into the fender.

got my th400 back from gregoire racing transmissions in Southbridge ma. I bought the tranny used and heavily built along with the converter and I just wanted ron to go through it and make sure everything was cool. he made a few small changes should be good to go now.

the converter is a rebuild able neil chance 10.5" converter. unfortunately it was built for a turbo car. I called neil chance and they said if he was building it for my car he would have used a 9.5 but if im going to be driving it on the street I might actually like the 10.5. he said its going to feel tight and not slip as much. I would like to just have the right converter built but turns out this converter I have is a $2200 converter. so im just going to try it out and see how it is I can always change it after

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.