Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Out with the pushrod, in with the Modular

52K views 223 replies 29 participants last post by  wickedcobra96 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after screwing around with push rod stuff and blow through carbs, its time to change to what i have always wanted. Im selling all my 351 Turbo parts, motor, fuel system and ignition, and installing a 03 cobra motor with twins and E85! Pretty damn excited! ganna keep the boost to about the 20lbs range till i get the short block built. But i do have a few questions. Some are planning for the future power levels, but i only want to do things once.

I have seen some blocks flex and cause distortion in the cylinders from high horsepower and motor mounts. Any idea what power level this is? Im trying to decide if i should motor plate/ mid plate or make mounts. SO insight on this would be great.

I talked to Greg at RET about computer system for the setup. He agreed that i should be able to use the wiring setup from The Detail Zone, and stock computer/SCTII for up to 1k. I have to admit, it makes me a little sick to pay a min $3K for stand alone. So ill probably run a stock style setup till i decide to go very big power. will 105injectors support what im looking for? Mass air meter Suggestions? and pipe size?

Fuel system. I plan on eventually making 1K+ rwhp, which in a 3000lb car should be pretty fun. I want to start running E85. Ive been looking at magnafuel pumps, as they seem to be fairly streetable, namely the SQ-750. Is there another pump better for EFI supporting what id like to run? I like belt pumps, but honestly, the 65 engine compartment is so tight, id rather not clutter it up any more then it already will be.

And lastely, i know i want to do twins. Im currently thinking the 6266's with a .68 A/R, T-4 i think. I dont want to get to crazy in turbo cost, as is buying two of everything sucks for cost. But cool factor is for sure there. So any options or opinions would be fine to hear.

My car (which is together right now) is probably getting completely tore down this coming week, heading to a fab shop to make the front clip removable, Remove the inner fenders, have the rear fenders expanded to allow a 28in slick to fit, and parachute mount installed. Should be picking up the motor this sunday. And i suppose for the next few months a load of money getting dumped..lol Wish me luck, and i will update as i go.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like an awesome build man, on the stock motor the 105's should support around 800whp on E85, possibly a bit more. I know I have 120's for mine and Bob Kurgan told me they should be fine to 1000whp with my setup which is twin 6262's. I elected the 6262's after talking with precision for a while on my combination but the 6266 is awesome as well, they just said I would sacrifice 400-600 rpm in spool time. I am also running a stock ECU with SCT X3 as I do not want to drop the $ on a standalone yet but I know I will end up doing so at some point.

#3 ·
With the teksid and solid motor and trans mounts we saw no distortion 850rwhp best pass was 8.8 with that setup but that was with the old engine builder they didn't last long mains were not round maybe 300 passes took out the mains 3 times but cylinders still look good

#5 ·
I ran poly mounts and a custom strap to hold the motor in place and reinforced the intake for a long time

#9 · (Edited)
I never had a serious problem the motor would just move enough to remove the intake coupler

#10 ·
They say to run a poly Trans mount idk why I run a solid but I have not had an issue yet

#12 ·
It sounds like you are eventually going for big power--over 1K. The 105's aren't going to cut it for that. I started out the same way and messed around with the low impedance 120's but they only would take it up to 900rwhp or so with the base FP at 43 PSI. So I ended up with the high impedance 160's. I've also messed around with many differnt tuning methods and MAF's with the stock ECU. Through all of that, I eventually realized that a stand alone is the BEST option with large injectors and turbos. No more MAF issue, etc. Then you can run the LS coils which are much more reliable at high HP levels. So after 4 MAF's, 5 tuning methods, and two sets of injectors/drivers, the bottom line is that the stand alone would have paid for itself with thousands left over. After all of this, obviously I'm not the smartest person here but maybe you can learn from my mistakes.

#13 ·
Totally understand about the stand alone. And the more i think about it, the more it seems it would be better to do even a Mega squirt then stock setup. My biggest issue seems to be that i don't want to run a 4in pipe to the throttle body.. but i know that a stock Ecu setup basically needs it at that point for mass air
Anyone have a fast setup they don't want? Lol
Cash in hand..

#15 ·
This is gonna be a bad ass build!!! My 2 cents, ditch the stock computer and put in a BS3, Fast or Pro EFI system. You will save $$ in the long run. You're already married to the car, don't get married to a tuner! lol

#16 · (Edited)
Ya. Going stand alone. Only problem is one tuner says xfi another says bs3. Now to find two people that agree....

There is also the distributor setup. I can't figure out why that's better or worse either.
Been beating my head against the wall. Price sucks on all of them.

#17 ·
Big thanks to Mike aka Twin57Cobra. For some help on what has worked for him. As well as shipping out his nice 4R70W trans. Looks like the 65 will get some better miliage for the first time in its life. lol

#26 ·
Thanks man. Anything you need, just let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

Mike is a great guy and has been a HUGE help with my build. He is always willing to help answer questions, etc. He makes this hobby FUN!!!!
Thanks very much Ken....and you've helped me just as much! Thanks

#19 ·
Good call on going standalone, after reading a lot of what these guys have posted on here I decided to do the same thing myself. Saves me from having to have the car wired twice and it will be better/safer in the long run. I PM'd you but I would look into the Holley Dominator Efi if I were you.

#21 ·
You should download the software for both and take a look at them. Also with BS3 you have to pay for a lot of extras that are included with the Holley. The Holley also has 2gb of on board memory for datalogging, many of the other standalones you have to buy something additional to datalog. They will all work though, just do your homework on them.

#28 ·
gonna be a fun build cant wait to start on it..

#29 ·
Well spent the last couple days welding/grinding, freezing my butt off. Pretty much done though. Looks like i have a friend that is a body Guy that needs my glide. So we are ganna do some trading, I
Getting a decent paint job with color change. He gets the glide. Pretty happy about that.
Anyway, should be very busy blowing the car totally down to body minus all removal parts now. And finishing up metal work. Here is the fire wall now though.

#37 · (Edited)
Was pretty busy this last weekend. But all good things.

And my brother came down this weekend, and after much measuring, leveling and welding, we got the motor and trans mounts in just the right spots. Cross member notched and boxed. And also got the rear fenders cut out a bit, so now the tires wont rub under load.

Car is off to get the chute mount done tonight. And then back to me for engine bay cleanup. And Then blast it all apart for paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.