new 96 cobra owner

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Array

Default new 96 cobra owner

I just traded a worn out 98 gt and a 2003 4wd suv for a 96 cobra the motor is a rebuilt 98 dohc and the car has all new brakes, suspension, exhaust,etc. The only problem is a ticking or rattling valve lash adjuster(I hope). The car has about 1300 mi. and I just changed the oil, motorcraft filter, and their 5w-20 oil and 1/4 qt marvels mystery oil. No change in the sound. I tore the filter apart, and its clean. I realize this is not the most economical motor to play with so I want to be able to find out whats wrong and fix it. I also have the original mtr. It was replaced because of a similar sound,supposedly, and the owner was so disgusted he just gave up. Apparently, this problem is not unusual, hopefully it is not unrepairable! If I get it fixed my wife might start speaking to me again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Mod fords slowest cobra. Array shawnssvtcobra's Avatar

Is the noise on one side or both?

Junior Member Array

It seems to be on the left side. I listened with a stethoscope, and it was loudest on the intake right behind the TB. Not really definitive. I started taking some of the lash adjusters out of the spare heads and two were stuck and the others moved freely. I didn't want to assume, but the ones that move are good, correct? I also found a procedure on the autozone repair guide that looks comprehensive. It says to use a spacer to prevent damaging the valve seal, when compressing the valve, which makes sense.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Array

Default working on it

I've removed the plugs on the left side. The previous owner used E3 plugs and the #4 looks different than the others. There is not as much carbon buildup on it. So I'm hoping that's where the problem is. I didn't realize I would be moving the AC lines so I got one out of the way and cant find my tool to remove the high pressure side. Apparently the system wasn't filled. but it all looks new.I'll soldier on tomorrow. Supposedly this motor has some system that does away with the closed port on the intake at lower rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by cjadams2 View Post
    Supposedly this motor has some system that does away with the closed port on the intake at lower rpm.
    Correct, they are called IMRC'S... They go in-between the intake and the cylinder head. They look like this.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360326656.022353.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  65.5 KB

Junior Member Array

Default Thanks for the picture.

Thanks for the picture. I thought I might have gotten lucky for once, but noooo. The cam lobe at the back of the motor on the intake side had a different looking wear pattern. Sure enough the valve lash adjuster was not extending as far as the ones removed from the spare heads. The rocker arm also looked like it had been moving around on the valve. I changed both the rocker and the "lifter". I put it back together and get the same noise. Oh well, It still runs and its not worse! But I cant tell if its another one or if the valve is worn down. I spoke with someone that said their were some"caps" that fit on the valve to adjust that space.

Default don't really knw wat im doing

I've been needing some help in swapping a 92 Mustang 5.0 ho in a 92 f150 inline 6 4.9....I want to see if in possible to do...also wat would be easier or cheaper to do....fuel injected or carbureted...any advice would be great thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ricardog152 View Post
    I've been needing some help in swapping a 92 Mustang 5.0 ho in a 92 f150 inline 6 4.9....I want to see if in possible to do...also wat would be easier or cheaper to do....fuel injected or carbureted...any advice would be great thanks
    Hijack!

11. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread