Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

MAF Sensor and Housing Size Question (NA SVT Help!!)

Tags
maf tuning
7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  guilloe 
#1 ·
na svt,

In upgrading to a 90mm Lightning MAF can you swap the stock MAF sensor (80mm MAF) into the 90mm housing? I've been told that this is what most people do since a the Lightning MAF has the external IAT and requires tapping into the intake tubing to fully convert since our stock MAF has the IAT included. Obviously, either route will require a tune but which would you recommend? From my understanding the MAF includes two resistors. The front resistor is measuring air temperature and the second resistor is a heated element, which the circuit within the MAF electronics is designed to maintain at a set temperature well above that of the first resistor. As air travels across the second resistor it cools the resistor and the amount of effort that is required to maintain the resistor at the set temperature is output as a voltage reading to the ECU. This voltage reading is then used to determine the mass flow rate of the air. Again from my understanding the ECU has a pre-programmed table that references the voltage output and converts it to a mass flow rate based on a transfer function. If the stock MAF sensor is swapped into a larger housing the air velocity and cooling would be reduced. This would also lower the voltage output and therefore make the ECU think that less air was entering the engine. I'm not all that familiar with the transfer functions used but I would imagine that the housing size is incorporated into the function since it plays a role in how much pressure drop the air experiences which will affect the density and velocity of the air. Again if my understanding is correct would using my stock electronics be easier to tune with or should the new electronics that came with the Lightning 90mm MAF be used?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.