Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

**Matt's Worlds Fastest N/A Modular Engine Thread**

36K views 83 replies 18 participants last post by  mercenvy_3114 
#1 · (Edited)
Well guys, I sold the 4.6 BB out of my 89 coupe. I am moving forward with the Big Bore Stroker build. I have finally decided after years and years, I like the idea of a drag car over a drag/street car. So with that, here goes.

I don't plan on naming this the fastest, as obviously that's a tall task on my limited Military funds and time, but I think I should be able to get close to Scotts record time.

Motor specs on that combo-
WAP alum block, Big Bore by Modular Performance/Mike/John T
Stock Cast crank
SVT Cobra H beams with ARP 2000 bolts
Diamond Big Bore pistons with 2.4cc of valve notches, putting compression around 10.8:1
03/04 Aviator heads, Livernois CNC ported, VJ done by Tommy@KPEracing.com along with some bowl work and blending
Cams were off the shelf Comp 278s installed at a specific centerline by NA SVT
Sullivan intake and Holley Pro-Systems carb from John T
Kooks 1 3/4" Longtubes with 3" collector with a custom 3" tru X by me
T45 trans, worked by Zak@theT45source.com
4.56 gears on 28" slicks
Tubular front end, with 90/10s in the front and 50/50s in the back
Tubular upper and lower control arms and a ARB

It honestly is a pretty simple setup. I did what I needed to do, to get it to run. I never dialed in the suspension or motor as well as I should have. The results speak for themselves. It went 6.6@102mph NA with a 1.40 60ft. and 6.1@111mph on a 150shot running a little rich. This is all with a fully shifted 5 speed trans and very minimal time behind the wheel. Not giving excuses, just think the car maybe had a little more in it.

Moving along to the current build. I decided no more street/strip setup. Boss block was ordered, and I almost pulled the trigger on GT heads, but I couldn't commit, as my pocket book wouldn't allow it. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, but also with as much power that can be made with the parts available to me. While deployed last year, the Boss block was ordered, along with Billet Oliver Connecting Rods, and Diamond big Bore pistons. I was supposed to get sent a stroker crank from a member on another forum, but it turned out to be a normal stroke crank. Oh well. Lesson learned, so I put in an order a couple months ago for a new stroker 3.75" crank from Jim@cushmanmotorsports.

Heads are 03/04 specs that have been worked about as much as the castings will allow. im not going to go too much into them, but lets just say they flow about 10% more CFM than my Livernois box heads. I should be getting these in the next week or two.

Cams will be custom spec'd by Todd (NA SVT) and myself. Trying to keep the rpm in the 8000rpm range, so I don't have to shell out 6-8k for a trans to handle more rpm than that.

Intake will be the same sullivan and Ill be using the 850cfm carb till I can or need to afford a new. As I said, as budget as possible, but still making great power.

Headers I already have, purchased from a member on here, kooks 1 7/8" longtubes, 3.5" collectors, and I will be again building the custom X pipe with Bullet dumps again.

Rear will remain the same, along with the suspension save for strange 10 ways on all 4 corners.

I will keep the thread updated with as much info and pics as I can. It may not be as exciting as Scotts, but I have no doubt that this combo will run deep deep 9s on motor.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Headers and me getting the block ready for the hone.

All machine work will be accomplished at KPE in Wichita Falls, Texas.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes sir. I think this new motor should make in the area of 550+rwhp. I know that's a far cry from what Scott did. But I'm not far off. I think most know Scott's motor had 8s in it NA. And with my 150 shot run, being mid to low 9s...I think I have a shot at getting close. This motor will be no where close to a street setup. Race gas, high comp, big cams, etc etc...

Only time will tell. I really wish I could find a cammer block for this thing! Keep the weight down!

#6 ·
Lets just say the car is really light.

And i feel like you are doubting it. I'm just going off of 590rwhp if it made that much, on the spray and the 6.1...that 9.5 or better. And this thing pulls way good on the top end. So I realize I am 40+HP short...but I think that should get me in the mid nines. When I can afford some GT heads. I'll go that route. Till then. I'm stuck with what I got. I'm hoping its enough to get it to mid 9s on motor.

#10 ·
Yeah. I knew that most likely it would be a 2/4 bolt main and not 4/6. It is a steel block so flex will be minimal when compared to an alum block. I want to say im not worried and didn't think about it at all, but the fact I did notice, tells you it has crossed my mind. I think it will be fine being that its all steel.

If I could have had a choice, Id be doing a Cammer block, but there just aren't any out there. The 5.4 option has crossed my mind, but by the time I get the alum 5.4 block, big bore it and stuff some oliver rods and custom pistons in it (to get them to the top of the deck), ill have 5-6k in the shortblock. This 4.6 motor im building now, will be somewhere around that as a longblock. Im hoping.

#12 ·
I don't know why the GT heads are so expensive now. I ordered mine from Steve at Trousley in 2009 and they were $1743 for the pair complete with cams and everything shipped to my door. Called him a few months ago about another pair and he said they were now $5895 or something like that. That's just crazy.

#17 ·
I agree. Im going to try a conventional worked trans till it proves to me it can't be done. Then Ill have to take out a personal loan for a trans the big boys use.

- - - Updated - - -

Sickkkkk!!!! Buddy looks good

Ps when you grow into those big boy shorts maybe you'll build a 2v lmao.
Um...4v > 2v....dont you learn? lol

#19 · (Edited)
Well here they are. As soon as I can, Ill be getting them all bare and the guides knocked out. Sending them off for some needed CNC porting. Then have another person work the bowls some, install the valves with a good valve job, reassemble them and ship them back. Hope it doesn't take too long, but good things come to those who wait. Man I get more and more excited about this stuff when stuff shows up.

hopefully these heads are the trick that push me right up to what Scott ran...

Attachments

#24 ·
Well I tried to mock up the Kooks headers. I knew they weren't going to match up perfectly, but I remembered reading somewhere that you can open up the bolt holes and they would fit. Well, not with the kooks. Thier flanges aren't huge or have enough material to grind away like say BBK or another company where the flange is big and has a lot of material to deal/work with.

So, I was thinking about getting a flange and making my own custom set, but with conventional motor mounts, etc etc. It would be tough. Never tackled something like that before. So what I came up with, is Ill call Kooks monday, and see if they cant send me a set of GT500 flanges/gaskets (bolt/port) pattern should be the same as my GT heads I have, Ill carefully cut the flanges off my current headers, and have the GT500 flanges welded on.

Input? I think it should work. I have a very good TIG welder that lives very close to me, so Ill prob be gonig that route.

Ill get some pics today of the actual mismatch so ppl who try to do the same thing they know what they are getting into.

#27 ·
Here is a pic of the bolt pattern mis-match of the port. If I use the lower stud mounting, it moves the header flange too far back, if I use the top, too far forward.

For most headers, the fix would be to slot the holes to use the GT pattern, being that I have Kooks...there literally isn't enough material around the hole/slot on the flange.

The fix ive come up with, rather than cutting off the flanges and welding on all new flanges...Im going to try to find some round 3/8" thick spacer/steel. Dill a hole for the stud/bolt, and then clamp the header to the head and weld the spacer to the exsisting flange. Should be time consuming, but over all cheaper and easier than cutting and welding on a new flange.

The easiest way would be me calling Kooks and having them put a GT500 flange on a set of 03.04 headers. But another 1200$ I can't afford. Maybe if someone buys these kooks from me, I could do it. Maybe off to the for sale section I go...

Attachments

#30 ·
Big thanks to tommy@KPEracing.com for drawing me up some GT header flanges. Ill get them cut out and put on my headers ASAP.

If anyone needs a set for whatever. Let me know! He can cut them out of whatever you want!

Attachments

#33 ·
My spiderman senses told me someone was trying to take my crown, so I came to find out what the deal was.

I ran 5.70 @ 119.xx to the 1/8th, but didn't have 5th gear on that hit. I coasted through at 9.36 @ 116mph. Coulda....woulda....shoulda... lol