Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Do you regret going e85

19K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Turbopit 
#1 ·
Ive been wanting to change my car over to e85 for a while. Ive heard a lot of positive things and ive had people that have 1200 horsepower cars tell me not to do it cause e85 is very moody when cold. I want my car to run high 8s and still drive on the.steet. So do any of you guys regret going to e85

#2 ·
I don't regret it at all but I have been keeping the boost low most of the time which means I could actually switch back to pump 93 if I wanted to. The most difficult thing for me is that the closest place to get it is 45 minutes away so I'm limited on the amount of street driving I can do with the car.

#3 ·
Not at all. You can always switch back. It's as easy as loading a tune. Cold motor driveability and cold starting can be tuned to be very close to stock, you just need a tuner who has experience tuning driveability. He also needs to be willing to invest some time in it.

#6 ·
I run E85 and have no regrets. My only concern is that it'll disappear from retail stations around Dallas. I switch back to 93 during December for about a month . On my flex fuel F150, if you run E85, Ford recommends running a tank of regular fuel through it each oil change so I assume their engineers think that's good for it so I treat my Mustang the same. It is a bit finicky in cold temps but I've been able to figure out most of that in the tune.

My car just put down 711rwhp/676rwtq on E85 and 15 lbs of boost, too.

#16 ·
Do what I did. Buy it in 55 gal drums from a Fuel supplier

#13 ·
Stoich AFR of E85 is lower than that of gasoline, so if you still have some E85 in the tank and switch to your gasoline tune, it won't be running rich enough at WOT.

#19 ·
I have an E85 station within 3 miles from my house so I'm lucky here if I were to switch. I spoke to another turbo guy in town and he's on the other side of the fence....his car makes around 700 on 93 and 860's on C16. His reasoning for not going E85 was, "I have most people covered on pump gas if I don't I run them on C16." Not sure if I agree or not but, he does make a good point.

#21 ·
best fuel ever, we always run about 1/5th of a bottle of VP M2 upper engine lube with every tank. Our E85 is more around 88-92% here in Australia. Alot of people are scared but we have helped around 100 people make the switch and not one has regretted it.

#23 ·
the small bottle 480ml, we put about 100ml in 60L. Been doing it since day 1, pulled the motor down to freshen up was still like new and it was hard worked 1200hp at engine, 400 1/4 mile passes, 30000 miles street driving, we use Brad Penn oil found it to be excellent with the E85. we used to change oil every 4-5 meetings or 3500mi's would still be in great condition, hardly broken down or diluted, we had oil analysis done.

#24 ·
Let me ask you guys in northern states something: when people are talking cold-drivability issues, is that all the time with the fuel cold - or just cold starts or situations where the motor's cold and it doesn't injest the cold fuel well?

I don't ever drive a built motor without bringing it up to operating temps anyway, so if it's just that the tune needs to be modified for cold starts that wouldn't bother me. But I drive one of the cars throught the winter - I was thinking about converting the cv to save the money on the cost of running 93 (and being able to turn it up a bit and not have to run torco or race gas as a necessary safety).

#26 ·
I'm in Iowa so it gets pretty cold here..
The initial start up with engine cold is the main problem.. It won't lite off like gas in two or three revolutions normally..
Below 40 degree my car mite take 10 revolutions before it fires first time..
I'm running XFI with 120 pound injectors so I don't expect it to start perfect that cold any how..

#25 ·
For my car it is only the initial cold startup that takes some time but once it fires I just hold the rpms around 1500 with my foot on the pedal for 15-20 seconds and then it will idle just fine on it's own.

#27 ·
I live about 35miles from my closest e-85 stations. Which can be frustrating at times. The biggest deal with swapping back and forth from 91 to E-85 is the 91 left in the system. I pumped my system out completely, added 5 gallons of E-85, and tested it. It was down to E-73. I added another 5 gallons of E-85 and that got me up to E-84ish. Which is good enough for me. But i test my fuel fairly regularly just to make sure. Always before a race or if i plan to beat on the motor a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.