E85 pump advice needed

+ Reply to Thread

Default E85 pump advice needed

Ive been reading, researching, and talking to tech lines on the phone and Im looking for a definitive answer on what fuel pump I should buy for my setup. Was hoping some of you guys could chime in and help me out. Ill list my setup and then the issues im having.

-stock 2003 cobra longblock
    -stock t56
    -Kenne bell 2.8 with behemoth inlet and single blade accufab
    -3.00 upper / stock lower
    -jlt gen 2 big air cai, sct ba3000 maf
    -80# injectors
    -sumped tank, -12 to pump, 100 micron stainless filter, aeromotive eliminator pump, 10 micron filter, -10 to y block, -8 to division x rails, -8 to aeromotive boost reference regulator, -8 return.

So in the upper rpm range my fuel pressure at the rail starts dropping off and around 5200 rpm it hits 30# of fuel pressure and the computer shuts the car down. I talked to aeromotive and they said Im running out of pump and injector. I talked to magnafuel (I was looking into picking up a magnafuel 750) and their tech guy said a 750 isnt enough that I would need to run 2 750s. And the pump thats the next step up isnt really designed for continuous street duty, that I could only drive the car 40ish minutes at a time...

What im looking for is a pump that i can use to drive on the street running e85 and support 800 rwhp. Im not at that power level yet just want a little room to grow. I know im probly close to the limit of the 80#s right now. So all that being said does anyone have any suggestions as to what pump I should look into. Im ready to drive this car so I can get the suspension and other things dialed in! Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

i think you have another issue going on. I eliminator pump should support roughly 1100 whp on e85. a buddy of mine has a 09 gt with a return system and he pushing 720 at the tire wit a Paxton on 18-21 psi. and with ford racing 80s injectors. I would start buy check your alternator and the mearsure voltage at pump while doing a run, you could jus be dropping voltage. I have a a1000 and making 640 whp and 775 tq on e85 with a fast bank to bank and only got 82% duty cycle

Base fuel pressure is set at 40psi and its a 1 to 1 regulator. I forgot to mention that.

Goldenhp- thanks for the response. When i put the setup together i thought the pumps and injectors would be adequate for wat i was going to make. I did replace the stock alternator w a 150 amp unit. Havent had a chance to check it yet. On the datalog voltage hovered right around 13 volts. I dont remember the exact number ill have to look again. Also i ordered a stainless steel 10 micron replacement filter. The paper (altho practically brand new) is now dark colored and starting to get hard.
    Last edited by meats50; 05-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

How do you have the pump wired? You should run tge biggest wire possible like 10 gauge, hell if u can 8 gauge directly from the batt, or fuse box juntion under the hood. An obviously a relay to activate it. If u using stock wires they arnet big enough. So i would start there makin sure you have okenty vokts to pump

- - - Updated - - -

And double check your lines seems like your tank and styff might be dirty

Battery is in the trunk. Maybe a 4ft long lead of 8-10 gauge wire feeds the relay. Lines were flushed Thoroughly before first start up.

Quote Originally Posted by meats50 View Post
    Ive been reading, researching, and talking to tech lines on the phone and Im looking for a definitive answer on what fuel pump I should buy for my setup. Was hoping some of you guys could chime in and help me out. Ill list my setup and then the issues im having.

-stock 2003 cobra longblock
    -stock t56
    -Kenne bell 2.8 with behemoth inlet and single blade accufab
    -3.00 upper / stock lower
    -jlt gen 2 big air cai, sct ba3000 maf
    -80# injectors
    -sumped tank, -12 to pump, 100 micron stainless filter, aeromotive eliminator pump, 10 micron filter, -10 to y block, -8 to division x rails, -8 to aeromotive boost reference regulator, -8 return.

So in the upper rpm range my fuel pressure at the rail starts dropping off and around 5200 rpm it hits 30# of fuel pressure and the computer shuts the car down. I talked to aeromotive and they said Im running out of pump and injector. I talked to magnafuel (I was looking into picking up a magnafuel 750) and their tech guy said a 750 isnt enough that I would need to run 2 750s. And the pump thats the next step up isnt really designed for continuous street duty, that I could only drive the car 40ish minutes at a time...

What im looking for is a pump that i can use to drive on the street running e85 and support 800 rwhp. Im not at that power level yet just want a little room to grow. I know im probly close to the limit of the 80#s right now. So all that being said does anyone have any suggestions as to what pump I should look into. Im ready to drive this car so I can get the suspension and other things dialed in! Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Here you go buddy, there was an article on this,

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...r/viewall.html

look into the aeromotive stealth pumps that go in the stock cobra tanks...

I don't know which tech you spoke with at Magnafuel, but I run a Pro-Star 750 on my drag car and it's supporting over 1100 to the tires on E85 with no issues at all. I run a Protuner 750 in the tank on my street car and it's doing fine supporting close to 800 to the tires with PLENTY of headroom.

@Helomech74 - The guy I spoke with at magnafuel sounded very unsure of himself and gave me some other info I know for a fact was wrong. So take that for what its worth. Im leaning toward the protuner 750 efi. Its supposed to be a more street oriented pump from what I have read.

I have resolved my issue for right now. I changed the filters on the eliminator and that didnt help. So I bought a kb boost a pump and wired it using the hobbs switch and the dial. Now under full boost its sending a little over 13v to the eliminator pump and it holds 60+ psi of fuel pressure all the way thru the pull.

Would dual 340s not support 800?

A car my friend put together for a guy ran dual 340 stryker pumps from lethal. On the dyno it was running out of fuel. Upgraded to dual 465's and doesnt have a problem now. car made 700ish rwhp. Cant remember the exact number. Wasnt over 750 though.

Heres a video of my car on the dyno if anyone is interested. Im wanting to stay with an inline pump because I may minitub the car and go with a sumped fuel cell. Its an ongoing project.

This video is from earlier this year when Eric tuned it.

http://youtu.be/P8NSCnUfeAA

wow i just went back re read your post and it looks like you are running the eliminator pump already and im very shocked that it will not get you to 800 rwhp with out the BAP...

When putting my combo together i assumed the eliminator alone would get me there also.

16. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread