Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Turbo'd 2001 Mustang GT build

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Scott2001GT 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a very long time since I have been on here but wanting to get back in here and get more involved! Anywho...

Background story...I has a Procharger P1sc on 10psi with a 3 core intercooler, Edge 3500 stall and all the supporting mods but kept through belts and got bored after about 2 weeks with the powerband. So with those two things I decided to sell it and go turbo. Oh and was I in for a treat! I bought a Team Z k member with coilovers, solid MM motor mounts, Precision CEA 6768 t4 .96AR, Precision 750hp I/C, TurboSmart 45mm Hypergate, TurboSmart 52mm Raceport BOV, and the TurboSmart Eboost-2 boost controller. I brought it a shop in Fenton,MO to have a hotside and sold side welded up for a custom kit. I told the guy I wanted the kit LIKE the Hellion kit with going from the stock manifolds to the turbo BUT LIKE the on3 kit where it goes through the K member. He quoted me $3500 for the entire job and it would take 3 weeks or so...I said cool and I waited to hear something. Well after 3 months and ASKING numerous times for a price quote and never received one I get a text one morning with a total bill of $5200!! I was PISSED. I didn't have the money so I took a loan out to pay for it. I had no other options. He did send me pics before hand and I saw the piping going UNDER the K member with 2.5in of clearance maybe. I should have said something then but I guess I was too intimidated being 18 or 19..22 now. IDK why but I was so that was my fault there. I talked to him about it a few time and was told to fly a kite. Knowing who he is now I would have been charged more if I told him it was wrong from the pics since he would have to start over. The plan was to keep the AC and PS by the way.

So I said f-it and cut my losses and sold the kit off. I then get an email from him saying there are holes in the hotside! I was then again pissed and told him I had no idea and if I knew I would have had them fixed before shipping! He was cool about it thankfully.

I then gave it to a different shop and bought CG headers that deleted AC. No bit deal though. The kit was a 2.5in crossover to 3in downpipe going into A 3.5in downpipe after the power steering lines. Also got 3:55's put in and FLSFC.

After I got the car aligned I was driving it home then the rear end locked up! Got it towed home and found out there wan't any gear oil that I was charged for on the bill?! The shop owner fixed it and returned it without oil again. Ok w/e it's cheap. Well then gears whine like owls so that's being fixed this Summer.

I get the car to the tuners and I have major over boosting issues. Like no control at all. ****! The w/g was put underneath the merge so the exhaust had no idea it was even there. A complete 180 the other way. So the hotside goes under the knive. We put the gate had a 90* angle b/c of lack of room. When it helped but I was still seeing 14psi plus(stock longblock) in 3rd but that was all I could do with the money I had. The ECM was also messed up too. I can only have a Bullitt tune which is a 5 speed car and I have an auto. So my lock up schedule was all messed up. At the top of 2nd it would un lock then re lock losing 2psi and MPH. I went all Summer like that and it still ran well for what was wrong and was a blast! Love the turbo! My one and only pass was a 11.649 at 119mph. Not bad for with having issues. I didn't even overboost though haha.

This Winter I deleted power steering and brakes and took the crossover out and the single gate for 2 TurboSmart 40mm Comp gates on each bank. That should work I hope!

The car is now back at the tuners and going to be able to control boost and use my boost controller and getting the ECM fixed too. It's been a long 3.5 years but it's been a blast with the turbo and learning a lot! This Summer I am doing chassis bracing, built 33 spline rear end, and ARB.

Thanks for reading if you did! BTW no dyno numbers..my tuner street tunes and didn't have a dyno at the time.

I also changed out from the Precision I/C to a Treastone same side inlet outlet to clean the clutter of all the pipes.
- - - Updated - - -

See less See more
#5 ·
Overall ultimate plan is..

Teksid block (already have)
Ported TFS heads
custom cams
ported Eddy intake
custom upper intake hat
DivisionX return system fuel system
meth injection
manley h beams
diamond,ross,je, or CP pistons
Kellogg crank
billet oil pump
ARP through out
built 4r70w with brake and UCC or Circle D stall
built 33 spline rear end with chassin bracing and ARB (this summer)
cage with removable side bars
Precision CEA 8284 .96AR t4 turbo
1300HP Treadstone intercooler
3.5in from intercooler to throttle body
ect ect you then the point :)

- - - Updated - - -

#6 ·
Sure went through some ordeals. Nice project though!

I kept staring at that big kink you had in the inlet, then I finally noticed the centri and realized those were "before" pictures with the old setup. Looks like you got that taken care of.

I have a feeling this must be obvious, maybe to drag racers perhaps (?), but what's the scoop with the handle sticking out of the taillight?

#13 ·
Yeah it has been stressful to say the least!

Change of plans though after I talked to my tuner

Stock heads with 125lbs springs and CMS stage 2 cams
TFS Streetburner intake
10.5:1 CR
E85
Fuel Lab single pump with eletronic regulator
3in catback still
3.5in cut out through the front bumper
Keeping the PTE 6768 CEA turbo
leaving the 4r70w stock until it starts giving me trouble then building it with a T brake

Just aiming for 600rwhp now and a nice ET for the HP..still a street car

It's much more budget friendly and since I need to buy a house in the next few years just a smarter decision overall.

#17 ·
how much timing? was that sae corrected? respectable numbers at only 10.3psi through an auto. if you turn the boost up just a little and play with the tune youll probably be at that 600 mark pretty easily

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.