Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Purchasing E85 in 55 gal drums question

97K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Waynebuilt 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I am looking to purchase a 55 gal drum of E85. I have a few questions. What is the life span of this fuel even if it comes in an air-tight drum?

Next, I have 2 available options to purchase this but the price is very different.

Option 1- E85 in a 55gal drum(sealed new). The brand is Renegade Fuels, the supplier wants $385 (=$7 gallon)He said it is 100% pure E85.

Option 2- E85 in a 55 gal drum for $220. (=$4 a gallon) Still need to get details on this one but he said it was Shell fuel. Not sure if he gets it directly from a Shell supplier or is pumping it into a 55gal drum and selling it.

I am trying to find out why there is such a huge price difference between the 2.

Obviously, the $220 is the way better deal. Any particular brand of fuel I should look for or stay away from?

Dave

#3 ·
I'll be of no help in answering your questions about the fuel differences, but i just refilled my sunoco drum with e85 at a local gas station. Is getting a drum and filling it yourself not an option?

View attachment 91275
View attachment 91276
We have one E85 station here in CT. Its over an hr away from me. It is an option for me to get a 55gal drum and do that. But I would have to borrow a truck and 2 hrs driving round trip, plus fuel for the truck etc. Both of my suppliers are 5 mins away from my shop

#4 ·
I understand.
Not sure what your setup is, but my car is conservatively tuned (to preserve my 10 spline input shaft) on the local pump stuff and put down 589 rwhp.
Doesn't seem to be a problem.

I do have a local supplier selling leaded e85 fuel. Maybe that's what the more expensive stuff is?

#6 ·
So I just found out. Supplier #2 is going to the station that is 1 hr away and pumping it. He said he always test it before he pumps it to make sure its E85.

So what do you think? Should I get the pump stuff or the Renegade fuel for double the price? If I go out there to pump it myself it may just not be worth it to me. Between losing time at work (I work alot) and borrowing a truck/gas etc.

#10 ·
Yes I can see it. Are you talking about the Pro crate 98? That is leaded. However the stuff my guy has claims its E85. I believe that Procrate 98 is E98? I will need to check

#11 ·
Ok just got off the phone with my supplier. He said the Renegade fuel he has is indeed E85. It is not the ProCrate 98. He said it is not on their website either. He said it is indeed E85, just like you get at the pump but its 100% pure and guaranteed to be 85% ethanol. Not leaded. Im going to pick it up at the end of this week

#13 ·
I have been taking a drum and filling it up myself at a station which is a good 45 minutes away....It is only $3.59/gal for me doing it that way. As far as longevity....I lost my engine last year in August and once I had the new engine done I tested the fuel in February this year and it was still perfectly fine and E85. I keep my drum in my garage fyi.

#14 ·
I get my E85 from a distributor about 40 minutes from my house. I buy 110 gallons at a time and last fill up was 2.90 a gallon (it's discounted when 2 drums are bought at a time.) If I had the means to store more, I would buy it and get a bigger discount. As far as longevity, I've had a 5 gallon plastic jug full as a test specimen and it's tested at 85% +/- 1% for the last 18 months that it's been in the jug. I keep mine in a climate controlled storage space at my shop.

I think some of the price spread comes from location. I know we have some of the lowest prices in the area because we have a few big distributors around us.

#15 ·
Helomech- what brand E85 are you running?

I picked up the Renegade E85 from my supplier today. He was wrong. This stuff is Leaded. I cannot find any info on Renegades site about it though. My car was tuned on pump E85. I am wondering how the Race Fuel Leaded E85 will affect the tune?

Here is the label

Attachments

#17 ·
Like previously mentioned leaded fuel will take out your sensors and plugs. Why would they even make a leaded E85? E85 can't be made to predetonate so why add another anti-knock additive like lead?

#22 ·
So far its great. I just picked this car up and it was already installed. Going to retune it soon but the car feels strong. I have alot of experience with the other blowers like Mammoth 2.8, 3.4 Crusher etc. This blower is for sure worth it for a small 2.3 it does the job!

#23 ·
Man I'm in the middle of my build but I'm up in the air I want the twins but in the back of my head the vmp tvs 2.3 or later 3.3 high compression and boost e85 would be nuts not including reliable I just could up boost at will like a wastegate and oh oh what if you threw a 125 shot to it and I've got a 5.4 billet bottom end

#24 ·
My old car was an Auto/Single 76mm Turbo Cobra. I really like the Auto/Turbo combo alot more. The TVS is still fun dont get me wrong. I would rather have a turbo though.

#25 ·
I test all my fuel that I buy from the distributor. I also run an Ethanol content display in my car, so I know what the mix is at all times. If for some reason my batch tests low, I just add E98 to the mix until it tests correctly. Same goes for when my gauge reads low in the car, just add E98 until it's where I want it. I don't know of any distributors or manufacturers of Ethanol fuels in my area that use 93 octane to cut the fuel to E85, they all use 87 octane to adjust the rating, I think it would be a waste of money to use 93 to do it especially since the end result is the same. Even if I were to pay the incredibly inflated prices of the "Race" Ethanol, I would still test it to verify the mix.

#26 ·
Can you post pics of your ethanol content gauge and how you have the sensor installed in the fuel line if possible? I am debating on doing this. Thinking of putting the display in the center console or glovebox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.