Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Methanol blending??????

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  black2003cobra 
#1 ·
Anybody do any methanol blending with 114? What percentages? Is it worth it? I'm thinking new tune for sure. Thanks

#2 ·
Are you interested in doing so for antiknock reasons? Curious...why not just use E85 instead of blending in methanol? It would be more convenient, (assuming you have it nearby), and it is less corrosive.

#3 ·
I was thinking antiknock but also cooler charge temps?? I maybe wrong, I was just curious and wanted to know if anyone had tried it and if it was worth it? I knew about the corrosiveness didn't think it would be as bad if blended. When I spoke to the fuel guys up here, they had mentioned that a few racers they knew ran up to 20%. There is one place that has E85 I think I'm going to have to do a little more research on that one.

#4 ·
Yes, methanol does have a higher latent heat of vaporization than ethanol, (~1100 vs 840 kJ/kg), which would tend to increase cooling and thereby reduce the risk of knock. But the mass of fuel injected also matters. As it turns out, since E85 has more alcohol in it than M20, the scales actually tip the other way due to the lower mass of fuel injected with M20.

Ideally speaking, it can be shown that the drop in air temp from evaporation of E85 (AFRs = 9.8) would be about 78 °C for a stoichiometric mix. (Note - this idealization assumes that all of the energy required for evaporation of the fuel comes out of the air.) By comparison, for M20 (AFRs = 12.9) the amount of cooling would only be ~39 °C for a stoichiometric mix.

For richer mixtures, the cooling would increase for both blends, but the amount of cooling with E85 would still be higher than that with M20.

To get the same charge cooling benefit as with E85, the amount of methanol added would need to be over 55%, or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.