Comp Cams Adjustable Cam Gears

+ Reply to Thread

Default Comp Cams Adjustable Cam Gears

Does anyone have the screw dimensions for the adjustable gear? Long story short, Fidanza makes the wheels for Comp Cams. Comp has to contact Fidanza to get the specs. I'm trying to get a car straightened out for the NMRA finals. It has the oh so common P0340 code. Fidanza states they "never heard of false cam signals" with their gears, or the CC units. I believe the screws are magnetized, and I would like to go to Fastenal and pick up some quality non magnetic stainless screws to try and eliminate the issue. I know others have encountered the same problem. We have replaced the alternator, and checked all other possible issues. If you have the screw dimensions, I would appreciate it if you could share. Thanks - Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Just take one of the screws out and take it to fastenal they can match you up with one

Quote Originally Posted by LS1KILR View Post
    Just take one of the screws out and take it to fastenal they can match you up with one
    I don't have then engine apart yet. I'd prefer to have the parts when I tear it down. However it may come to that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I got some at my local lowes. 10-32 x 1/2" I think (don't hold it to me) And it did not fix the code. Take a magnet with you because it took me 40 of to find 4 non magnetized ones. If anyone has anymore info please chime in. Only thing I haven't tried swapping is the PCM. Sorry to hijack your thread. Thanks

Ok, so I'm going to give a little back drop. I put this combination together for a guy about 2 months ago. As soon as we fired it up, there was a random issue. It would crank, almost run, smother out, and pop out the exhaust. Next crank it fires up, and runs great. I did all the normal checks, electrical connections, sensor integrity, wiring integrity, etc. Everything mechanically was 100% correct. Cams were degree'd within 1/2 degree of centerlines. I called my tuner, and we discussed possibilities. At the end of the conversation it was apparent, the ecu was picking up extra cam signal(s). Knowing the installation was sound, I called a former Comp Cam's tech. He researched the problem a little, and suggested I call Fidanza. The issue had been reported (to comp) before, but no action was taken by Comp or Fidanza. Fidanza denied any calls, emails, or customer complaints regarding the comp cam gears giving false signals, or vehicles throwing the p0340 code. They suggested I recheck my installation. So last night I reached out to Comp Cams yet again. Today I got a reply. "They are aware of the issue, and simply replacing the adjusting screws will NOT resolve the issue." Comp/Fidanza is currently redesigning the gear set. They gave me a possible solution, however I won't post that as it's a hack way of fixing a design flaw. I have to say thank you to the tech, and the purchasing managers that gave me a solid, truthful answer today. So, long story short, the current design may or may not have signal issues. In my case, the vehicle I have in my shop has an issue, and won't be fixed until the new gears are available. - Derek
    Last edited by dj94gt; 10-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.

I think it was hit or miss with them and I think I missed. Lol. I have tried everything possible with no luck, I've seen these gears work, so I know it's not all of them. The ones I have were in a running car, but it had a stand alone system. Off hand can you pm me the combo and what they are degreed at? I for sure the screws would fix it, i really don't understand what else would cause the issue. Thanks

9. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread