Upgraded the Cobra IRS with Poly subframe, control arm bushings and Brembo rear brake - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by cobraracer46 View Post
    jrgoffin, I remember a few years ago you mentioned on your site the possibility of G-Force engineering producing a half shaft kit for the 99-04 Cobra mustang and now its reality. As mentioned on jrgoffin's site, the unequal diameter half-shafts are the magic behind curing the hopping tendencies of the Cobra IRS.
    Definitely might have to check these out as a necessary upgrade even though I don't drag race (they should have been this way from the start!). Since I'll probably be replacing my cross-axis joints next year, may as well do the bearings and think about these axles as well. I did also send G-Force an e-mail to see if they have any better pictures, but if they are as good as the S550 version made for FR, then I know they'll be nice! I think they just started shipping these last week, so hopefully more details will be out there soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

The new axles have started to ship. The size difference on them is not extreme, but they definitely are side specific.

Here's a pic from the site that is now up:

Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

Hopefully within the next year, I can upgrade my Cobra with a set of the G force shafts! It seems like the round of upgrades never ends, but upgradeability is what is cool about 99-04 mustang in that you can update them and improve them rather than trading them up for a newer model. Imagine if the 99-04 mustang was like an iPhone or BMW/Mercedes that you would have replace every couple of years because it quit working right and no upgrades are available!

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Recently did a minor upgrade to the IRS in the form of a Maximum Motorsports coil over conversion.

Maximum Motorsports IRS coil over kit with Bilstien HD shocks and 500 pound springs
    Name:  IMG_6827.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  63.3 KB

it was easy to remove the rear springs with a loaner spring compressor from the local auto parts store

Name:  IMG_6833.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  92.7 KB

reinforcing the shock eyelid

Name:  IMG_6786.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  59.8 KB

Finished product
    Name:  IMG_6835.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  137.6 KB

Overall impressions: Super easy to install. Plus, its a very high quality kit as with everything Maximum Motorsports makes and the car rides so much nice now.
    Last edited by cobraracer46; 09-06-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: fixed the photos!

This looks interesting- so you just used your shocks and springs and just added the threaded bushings? My SVT is bone stock but I'm really getting fed up with the cushy ride and the high stance ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
    This looks interesting- so you just used your shocks and springs and just added the threaded bushings? My SVT is bone stock but I'm really getting fed up with the cushy ride and the high stance ....

I had a race car fabrication shop cut a grove into the shocks so a snap ring could be used to keep the threaded coil over sleeves in place.

Quote Originally Posted by cobraracer46 View Post
    I had a race car fabrication shop cut a grove into the shocks so a snap ring could be used to keep the threaded coil over sleeves in place.
    Oh never thought of that. I was speculating how to drop the threaded bushings past the original grooves so I can drop it on the original springs. This seems like a solution. Thank you!!!

10. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12