Cobra Engineering secondary timing tensioner fix - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 12345678 Last

So this is only for the passenger side head? I assume the stock piece is not a known problem child and leaving it on the drivers side is fine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    So this is only for the passenger side head? I assume the stock piece is not a known problem child and leaving it on the drivers side is fine?

The driverside tensioner functions both well and properly Eric. The only bad boy was the passenger side.

Ed

Most engine builds sit around the $4000-$10000 or higher yet. A $180 is a no brainer...do it right the first time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Hope we can place our orders soon.

I would like to order one as well..

Give James a little elbow room guys. That first item was what is called a proof of concept. It show the dimensions, plumbing and concept were on target. The next step is to build the tooling to produce these little gems more than one at a time. That takes additional time, costs money and results in a lower cost for you, which in addition to the fix is something you all hold near and dear to your hearts (and wallets).

This item is not going away any time soon and James will be more than happy to turn the production machine on for you - just give him a little more time to screw the whole thing together.

Ed

I have plenty of time, I'm no where ready for it.

Will work on the gt500 heads also, or is it a 03-04 cobra deal only... Sorry if that is a dumb question

Senior Member Array Tractionless's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    The driverside tensioner functions both well and properly Eric. The only bad boy was the passenger side.

Ed
    So bad head chain on passenger side and hot #7 & #8 holes on the drivers side. They're both bad

Quote Originally Posted by BlownBlu97 View Post
    I have plenty of time, I'm no where ready for it.
    I'm with you, collecting parts for that inevitable day. Would love the group buy for these to go with my pivot studs, Melling pump, and (off topic) RXT collecting dust. Think the next buy is valve springs and James' IC manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tractionless View Post
    So bad head chain on passenger side and hot #7 & #8 holes on the drivers side. They're both bad :big wink:...
    Yup! For different reasons but you're right, Keith they are both bad boys.

It is amazing how many little design faux pas Ford engineering has left for us to 'discover' ...

Ed

can this be done when motor is already built / running?

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS03SVT View Post
    can this be done when motor is already built / running?
    Valve covers and front cover must be removed. Then you lock the cams and remove the passenger side timing chains. Swap tensioners and put it all back together.

When all that drama about the cloyes secondary chains came to surface on this forum I dropped my motor, trans, & K member and put the stock timing chains on over the course of a weekend. I set the degree wheel up and spun it around just to check & ensure the cams didn't go anywhere. They didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Swervedriver View Post
    Valve covers and front cover must be removed. Then you lock the cams and remove the passenger side timing chains. Swap tensioners and put it all back together.

When all that drama about the cloyes secondary chains came to surface on this forum I dropped my motor, trans, & K member and put the stock timing chains on over the course of a weekend. I set the degree wheel up and spun it around just to check & ensure the cams didn't go anywhere. They didn't...
    ugh…was thinking it could be done with just the vc removed...

I seriously doubt it. I was hoping the same thing when I went in to replace the secondary chains. There wasn't enough space to even remove the primary sprocket from the end of the cam.

Even if you could get the sprocket off somehow, you'd be up against trying to lock the guide tensioner somehow while simultaneously holding the chain up so it doesn't go slack on the crank sprocket resulting in it going together a tooth (or more) off...

After goofing with it for about 15 minutes I said "no flipn way" and just took everything apart.

Man am I glad I discovered this now while it is torn all the way down. finally in the right place at the right time for once!!!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 12345678 Last