Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new around here - please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area.

My 4.6 tbrd (124,000 miles) runs OK and starts well when cold or hot, but not warm. For example if I go to the store and it sits for 30 minutes it may not start. This has been happening for months and so far, a shot of starting fluid into the air intake gets it going.

It cranks over normally but just will not start. It doesn't do anything - no pops, no attempt to start - no sign of life whatsoever.

Sometimes, when it's borderline start or not, it seems that cracking the throttle makes it fire up. Most of the time this doesn't work and I need to open the air cleaner and shoot the ether.

It also burns a good amount of oil. I suspect that this is a separate problem but maybe related.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Excessive blow by going through the PCV system into the intake. Check your intake for lots of oilly residue. Check your MAF also. Do you get any smoke when you finally get it to start? If so what color? It could be a leaking fuel injector. Fills a cylinder with enough fuel that it doesn't want to ignite. Have you pulled your plugs and looked at them? When was the last time you replaced the Fuel filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
additional information

Thank you FireFighterHill,

Well, the car always smokes some but doesn't seem to smoke any more after one of it's episodes. It seems like oil smoke. It's hard to tell the color from inside the car. I constantly need to add oil and there isn't much on the ground. When I sit at a light for a minute I notice a plume of smoke when I take off (or if I rev the engine)

I do notice, on a cold start, the smell of fuel as if it's rich but I thought that may be normal when it's cold. Now I'm second guessing if I think it's normal.

Haven't looked at the plugs recently and the fuel filter was replaced about 10,000 miles ago.

I have had it plugged into a diagnostic a few times and it showed excessive egr flow or something like that which the mechanic thought was strange.

I guess the burning oil is from valve seals and/or rings

Starting problem may be related or may be faulty maf or the other things you mentioned.

What do yo think of this:
I get the maf cleaned and check the plugs / do a compression test.
That should tell a lot.

If I need to take the engine apart it's going to cost a lot. Maybe instead of fixing it i would be better off swapping it for a different engine. The trans was rebuilt recently and I may "inherit" a 95 cougar with 60,000 miles and new trans that I could use as a donor car.

Please tell me any more ideas that you have.

Thanks,
Bob

Excessive blow by going through the PCV system into the intake. Check your intake for lots of oilly residue. Check your MAF also. Do you get any smoke when you finally get it to start? If so what color? It could be a leaking fuel injector. Fills a cylinder with enough fuel that it doesn't want to ignite. Have you pulled your plugs and looked at them? When was the last time you replaced the Fuel filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other idea I had - What about getting an engine from a mustang for the tbrd?

Would it be difficult / expensive to make it work correctly?

Would the exhaust match up? What about electronic connections and stuff like that?
It would be nice to have something that runs better than the original engine.......

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts