Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in a long term build of a '67 Cougar restomod. My initial thought was a coyote crate engine, but I came across a friend that had a motor/trans out of a 1998 SVT for a very reasonable price. The engine had been blown and replaced with factory crate motor, and the car was subsequently wrecked. So the motor has been sitting a while, but has less than 1000 mi on it. It's a snug fit, but I trimmed back the shock towers & put in coil-overs; still working some small details. I'm using Dave Stribling motor mount adaptors to the factory mounts. I have swapped the oil pan to a 95 Lincoln with front sump to fit in the cougar (with some re-shaping), but that's about all I have done to the motor so far.

tag on the motor has the following:
Reman R86-839-YA
Date 10/26/06
P/N F8ZZ-6006-ARH
S/N R07289172.STD

I've started a build thread over on vintage mustang forums if anyone's interested:
67Cougar 4.6 dohc restomod

recommendations wanted:
- no PCM or harness
- can probably find and AOL3 pcm, get it flashed & use ron francis wiring
- considering Holley EFI or other aftermarket - most don't support IMRC, so use delete plates?
  • planning to replace fuel rails to aeromotive or MMR to match aeromotive stealth tank & pump
  • has anyone use modular motorsports racing stuff? I like their oil filter relocation & some other stuff
  • oil pickup for the front sump pan? I can cut mine up & probably make it work

Thanks & look forward to hearing from y'all.
Anyone in the Ft Worth, TX area?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Ed. very good information. The website says it supports PNP on 99-04 Mustang GT OHV, 99-02 Cobra DOHC (NA), 03-04 Mach 1 DOHC, but not the 1996 - 98. Will that be a huge difference? I'm guessing the engine harnesses are not the same.

·
Administrator
9,390 Posts
As you already suspected the engine harnesses and ECU connector are different. This is not a big deal. Your engine does not have a harness so you need to get one no matter. Either go to a salvage yard and get a harness off a 4.6L Mach I or try purchasing a new harness from Ford. The salvage yard is obviously cheaper. I think I paid $250 or so for a SVT Cobra harness from Ford but that was 15 years ago, so ...

I would recommend converting to the IGN1, coil near plug, coils that DIYAutoTune offers. They are directly supported by the PnP ECU as shipped and they have the same or even higher, if I recall correctly, output than the highly respected IGN1-A coils.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts