Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but after I got the GT500 Fuel Pump issues sorted out (thanks again everyone) the stock clutch simply wasn't cutting it.

It started slipping 3 or 4 days after I actually got 100% of the fuel I was supposed to. (Who knew that second pump was so important? Ha!)

Anyway, I dropped the car off at Power By the Hour (Thanks Jake) yesterday morning at around 11 and picked the car up after dinner.

The first thing you notice about the Zoom D2 Twin Disc is how light the pedal feels. I was a little surprised by how the clutch grabs RIGHT off the floor, which leads me to believe the system may need to be bled, but otherwise engagement is silky smooth with no chatter.

I'm sure it'll get even better once I get some miles on it.

Additionally, stepping up to the aluminum flywheel, which wasn't my first choice, has delivered a significant improvement in smoothness through the RPM range. The stock flywheel felt much more rough as you revved it.

One thing I'm not really happy with is the noise the clutch makes when you're in a high gear/low RPM situation. When you're in, say, 4th gear at around 35 MPH, and you step on the gas the clutch makes a sound similar to marbles in a can.

Both the installer and Zoom confirmed it's normal to get some noise, but this seems pretty excessive. (It's even making some noise at idle, which can't be right.) They mentioned it's got to do with the second disc not being sprung, which I never even considered. (Jake called it a rollover something I'm not all that familiar with, so I'll get more info from him and report that back, as well.)

I'm going to take the car back to the shop tomorrow to have the coolant system pressure tested. I keep coming up missing coolant, so if the head gasket's bad it'll be a huge PITA, but I've got a warranty that should cover it. While it's there I'll have them check out and rebleed, if necessary.

As it stands right now I like the clutch, given I got a GREAT deal on it. (Thanks again HellionSaleen) Unless I can get some of the noise issues worked out, I'm not sure I can recommend that someone should pay $1100 for it.

I'll update once I get more miles on it and the hydraulic system rechecked.

Later kids,
Alan

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was considering your set-up, but after driving my buddies car, I decided that this is the way to go..I'm gonna seriously consider the spec 3+ w/alum.flywheel for my next clutch..
It was grabby right off the floor , no noise, but some chatter, not to bad, smooth straight thru.....it's a awesome set-up ..
I hope you figure out y your set-up is noisy, I'm curious as well....Good Luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome to the world of the twin disc
After a few days of seat time, it's really just a matter of relearning how to drive the car.

As long as I'm not in a high gear at low RPM, the car is better than ever. Smoother through the rev range, much easier and smooth engagement, etc...

I completely understand why this thing is so much money after spending this last week with it.

:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
After a few days of seat time, it's really just a matter of relearning how to drive the car.

As long as I'm not in a high gear at low RPM, the car is better than ever. Smoother through the rev range, much easier and smooth engagement, etc...

I completely understand why this thing is so much money after spending this last week with it.

:)
they are definatly worth the money, its hard to convince someone of this if they havnt driven one

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you're definitely right.

One odd symptom I'm experiencing is when I get in the car after letting it sit for a while, it's REALLY hard to get out of gear.

It's only hard that first time, though. After that it's fine.

I'm thinking it's a bleed issue with the TOB system.

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
Either that or a slow leak. Does the pedal pressure or release point change on the clutch pedal if the car sits for a while?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, you're definitely right.

One odd symptom I'm experiencing is when I get in the car after letting it sit for a while, it's REALLY hard to get out of gear.

It's only hard that first time, though. After that it's fine.

I'm thinking it's a bleed issue with the TOB system.
it happens to me every once in a long while, havnt really looked into it, i thought it was just up against my stop on my garage floor, which may still be what it is, hasnt happened anywhere else that ive noticed

·
Registered
194 Posts
tough to find a clutch that grabs that WILL LET GO!

I hate sticky clutches... take the fun out of driving..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The clutch getting sticky hasn't been an issue. There's just a spot in the clutch pedal travel that's got an odd "sticky" point when you release it, but it doesn't appear to be causing any ill effects in engagement or holding ability.

Per the recommendation of another user, I'm going to go jack up the driver side wheel and pump the pedal a few times. I hear that should help better bleed the system, which I believe to be the real issue.

I'll report back my findings later. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts