Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to the cobra deal. Just got my car last week and I already have the modding bug. I have read a couple of posts on people who get by with no chip on a 2.93 or 2.8 pulley but no big details.

I know its a good idea to have a chip tuned for your combo, but im just looking for something small to get me going and tide me over until I get the chip. I see posts where the stock tune is pretty rich anyway..so with the xtra boost wouldnt this equal out to a certain degree??

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Allan,
You don't know me, but I was checking in on the Akmotorsports site quite often, but wonered what happened to it? And what happened to your Z28? I've been thinking about getting an '03 Cobra myself, but there aren't any up here in squarebanks yet.
Anyway if the Akmotorsports sight is up at a different address could you please give me the link.
Brad

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in denver (high altitude) and a buddy of mine claims that his was pretty lean after a couple mods and NO chip. I would be a little cautious and do a dyno run, get an air fuel reading and just see where your A/F is at. I know you have the bug but what is a couple weeks of waiting to save up for a chip to match that extra boost. Seems worth it in my mind. Good luck, Andrew!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Z-28 is a long story, just wanted an 03 so I made the change.

www.alaskamotorsports.com is the new link. we used to have the akdsm link redirect but we nixed that.

I know I shouldnt be cutting corners with a pulley and no chip, just havent seen many dyno slips and a/f slips to prove the theory. Is there anyway you can get some more info for me? How lean and where at in the powerband.

The weather here in alaska is awesome, cool dense air, probably mid 60's track temp, track is at sealevel. I would assume the ecu would compensate for the change in altitude and maintain a halfway decent a/f ration.

anyone else???

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I dynoed my car with the pulley and no chip it was way too lean. Not safe to even get on the car until we fixed the A/F curve with the chip.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.

G

·
Well, my dads first run 03 cobra has a Lightning Pulley on with a Steeda Catback and just the air silencer out and K&N filter in the factory air box and it runs just awesome. The plugs still look to be burning alittle on the rich side and the tailpipes are still black. So it cant be that lean. But this is a first run car and I think they did run on the rich side. He still has the stock plugs in too. About 4000 miles. So I am not sure how this setup will work on a second run car...they seem to run on the leaner side compared to first run cars. My car is another story...way beyond stock now.

In short...my dad's 03 Cobra is running just incredible with that setup he has now. He is very happy and really doesnt want to go with a chip if he doesnt have too. When we took his stock pulley off and put the stock Lightning one on...we were very careful not to put and marks on the factory pulley using the ASP pulley puller. We cut a piece of cardboard the shape of the area of the puller so's not to scratch the pulley anywhere. Just incase he wants to go back to the stock pulley for warranty issues.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra DSG(20 lbs of boost and nitrous)

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is possible. But why play with a $35,000 car that way, in hopes that nothing goes wrong. If your reasons for not chipping a car is to save the warranty, then I would always recommend to not do anything. Something as simple as a K&N could technically void your warranty.

With as much money that was invested in R&D, I think this motor is pretty solid. You can only destroy this engine if you do something stupid, like no chip with pulley, or take it beyond it's horsepower limits. Which Nitrous Pete and others have proven we really don't know what that limit is yet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Harry,
I wasn't giving you flack, I did say that it is possible. I just personally don't think a pulley should be added without a chip, thats all. I know it can be done, however to make everything right, you should include a chip with every pulley change.

G

·
The key to this is a first run car and running good fuel. Atleast 93 octane. Keeping an eye on the plugs is good too.....I know certain people are running up to 15:1 to 16:1 a/f ratio with racing fuel and the cars are ripping in the horsepower/torque numbers and running tons of boost... I dont think a 2.93 is going to go near that a/f.

I dont know......this stuff is getting old. I have been here for awhile and have modded the hell out of my car and seen alot of testing and tuning going on with these cars....who the hell knows whats totally safe.

Shoot...just put the 2.93 or 3.00 pulley on....and have a shop put a good a/f meter on her and take her out for a spin down the road and see whats what. If its way too lean with the 2.93...then either take the pulley off or get a chip. I am sure Rick from Amazon has tested some first run cars with a 2.93 upper. He must know this answer. A 2.80 upper is pushing it and I had a chip in my car when I went with that setup. I wouldnt go that route without a chip. I have seen so many variables with these cars...seems like no 2 are the same at times.

I know alot of people running a 3.00 and 2.93(not much difference there) without a chip and all has been fine...but they are scared to post that because of all the comments they will get.

Harry

oops...I deleted my first post before you replied...I didnt like my flack comment so I deleted it

lguerra1 said:
It is possible. But why play with a $35,000 car that way, in hopes that nothing goes wrong. If your reasons for not chipping a car is to save the warranty, then I would always recommend to not do anything. Something as simple as a K&N could technically void your warranty.

With as much money that was invested in R&D, I think this motor is pretty solid. You can only destroy this engine if you do something stupid, like no chip with pulley, or take it beyond it's horsepower limits. Which Nitrous Pete and others have proven we really don't know what that limit is yet.

G

·
Also gang...I will get my dads 03's a/f tested soon and as soon as I do I will give the results here. I have been known to be wrong on more than one thing about these cars...so we will see.

Hot Rod(the ever changing world of the 03 Cobra)Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra (20 lbs of boost and nitrous)

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info again.

I dont know that much about these cars yet to go out on a limb and say that is to lean or its too rich. I just carry alot of tuning experience over from other cars I have owned and tuned in the past.

When something was too lean you could tell it was pulling timing, or you would get a slight ping and you would have to adjust accordingly to get things cleared back up.

Do these cars have a knock sensor built in so when the car does knock or go lean it will pull timing to safeguard the motor to a certain degree? I know heat kills efficiency with a blower or any power adder car. Here in alaska cars have been known to do crazy things because of the weather we get here is so cool and the air is dense not to mention we live at sealevel. For instance I had a buddy with just an Xpipe, Bassani Catback and chip put down 433 last fall here on his "1st run" cobra.

I guess knowledge is something I will gain over time. Thanks for the insight and info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
broke7 said:

For instance I had a buddy with just an Xpipe, Bassani Catback and chip put down 433 last fall here on his "1st run" cobra.

Hey I know that guy....oh yeah its me....I was very surprised with my hp numbers on the dyno......Allen is right..we have excellent air up here...I'd say the 2.93 and no chip would be fine...I ran my 2.93 a day before I got my JDM chip....the chip makes a world of difference. I'd say get some NGK TR6's from Rick and run the 2.93 till the chip can be burned.

·
400 Posts
We've have seen first run cars with 2.93 pulleys and no chips run very lean up to 4500-4800 rpm. After that they go rich and are fine. I feel anything smaller then a 3.2 should have a chip to keep it on the safe side and to clean up the a/f curve. With no chip it is critical to run good gas when you add boost with a chip or without, more so when you don't have a chip. Tip in detonation is hard to hear and can cause damage over time too.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info rick.

I am brian's buddy up here in AK, I just ordered the 2.93 and Intake kit from you. I will be giving you a call sometime in mid june for a chip setup for my 2.93.

Later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts