Votes: 8 80.0%
  • 2004 Cobra at x-plan

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I'm looking to purchase an 03/04 Cobra. The problem is I just missed the rebate on the '03. It was about $4k in rebates plus I'm x-plan. Now the rebate is more like $1500 plus x-plan. In the state of Florida there is now only one silver coupe. I've been thinking since I'm x-plan i could just wait until the '04s come out and purchase one for x-plan price no rebate. I'm just looking for some opinions from you guys, kinda torn.. I'd like to get in the game but I can't make up my mind.

Also - I heard the 2004 Cobras won't be out until March of next year?

Thanks everyone! :confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm an old retired guy, and I know I don't look at things like everyone else, but I always make decisions about stuff like that about how it effects my personal bottom line.

If I were to buy a 03 mpdel car at the end of the 03 model year, I'm buying a year old car. It is already worth a lot less in the marketplace, no matter what the dealer is trying to get for it. So if it's only worth say 30,000 in the marketplace, I don't want to spend over $30,000. My personal worth stays the same. $30,000 goes out of my money account, and 30,000 is added to the value of my car toy list. If I paid $35,000 for something only worth $30,000, I lowered my net worth $5000.

If I pay $35-36,000 for an 04 at the beginning of the model year, at least I'm buying an 04 model, which is worth a little more. My toy account value probably wouldn't be worth quite what I paid, but there probably wouldn't be a $5000 difference either (for a while).

Point is you shouldn't pay more than the value of a new one year old car for a one year old car. Otherwise get the new model.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Despite the 03's being blown out, i opted for a 04 model.

SVT has a funny way of last minute improvements and fixes over previous model years.

Oh yeah... California Highway Patrol has ordered some 04 Cobras in Silver for their desert patrol cars FYI. The will have white doors.

Routes covered are:

Interstate 10 from Indian Wells to Blythe

Interstate 40 from Needles To Havasu

Interstate 15 from Tehachapi to Vegas

Interstate 5 from Bakersfield Into Sacramento

Interstate 99 from Bakersfield into Sacramento

Highway 46, Paso Robles, Highway 41 Avenal

US 101 Hwy from Paso Robles to King City ( Made top 10 Speedtrap in USA today )

Owners beware :evil

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for your opinions so far. I was leaning towards a 2004 Cobra, and you guys are on the level with your points. Greatest thing about all this is my local dealer was lying to me and the porter whos a buddy of mine toldm e about the 04 Cobra. He said the 2004 Cobra will hit the lots end November early December. Good stuff. :hammer

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know about you, but I'm impatient. If the 04's don't come out until March of next year... I'd go with the 03, but then again, that's just me...impatient.:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
2JZFAN said:
Well thanks for your opinions so far. I was leaning towards a 2004 Cobra, and you guys are on the level with your points. Greatest thing about all this is my local dealer was lying to me and the porter whos a buddy of mine toldm e about the 04 Cobra. He said the 2004 Cobra will hit the lots end November early December. Good stuff. :hammer

Thanks!
Sorry didn't read this one... since it's coming out nov or dec, go with the 04!:blob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Go with the 04 you will be happy in the long run. Because you know someone is going to ask you what year the car is and you will say 03 and they will think it is a used car or off lease. And that really makes yo feel good when you paid full price for it minus the $1500. Another thing to look at is if you would be in an accident the insurance would be more likely to give you back more money on the 04 since it is newer. Only by a few months but not by their books.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Venomous Mofo said:
Despite the 03's being blown out, i opted for a 04 model.

SVT has a funny way of last minute improvements and fixes over previous model years.

Oh yeah... California Highway Patrol has ordered some 04 Cobras in Silver for their desert patrol cars FYI. The will have white doors.

Routes covered are:

Interstate 10 from Indian Wells to Blythe

Interstate 40 from Needles To Havasu

Interstate 15 from Tehachapi to Vegas

Interstate 5 from Bakersfield Into Sacramento

Interstate 99 from Bakersfield into Sacramento

Highway 46, Paso Robles, Highway 41 Avenal

US 101 Hwy from Paso Robles to King City ( Made top 10 Speedtrap in USA today )

Owners beware :evil
Are you serious man? Thats insane... can you imagine being the lucky cop? It would kind of suck being a cop though and having to drive a 6 speed since you'd have to be taking off and pulling people over a lot, but hell, atleast he'd be doing it in style.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know where the $4k in rebates was coming from. The rebate on the 03s was $2500 with an additional $500 for X-plan. That is how I bought mine. I only paid a little over $29K so the depreciation bug didn't bite me this year. Now the rebates are only $1500 though. You will still get the $500 X-plan rebate though so $2k total rebates. If I were you, I would get the 03.

Most dealers will probably not let you use X-plan until late in the model year when they are desperate to get rid of them so keep that in mind. If you can find a dealer that will let you order an 04 on X-plan right now, that would be tempting, but you will still be paying $1500 more for the car than the 03. Lots of dealers selling 03s for invoice or below so you may do better on the 03 without mentioning X-plan ($200 over invoice). I chose the 03 b/c I wanted sonic blue and the rebates put the car below the current selling price on used ones.

Ralph, as soon as you drive the car off the lot, you lose tons of money, especially if you paid sticker for it. You won't be able to sell a car even for invoice price used, no matter how little mileage you have on the car so your net worth drops as soon as you drive it off the lot b/c you have to sell it as used.

I personally will never pay more than a couple hundred over invoice for a car, regardless, so depreciation is not as bad but it is still depreciating. Cars are not good investments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts