Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Heavily Modified, can I put any supercharger I want on my car?

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cobraracer46 
#1 ·

LOL is there any way to mount that on the engine, and how much power should I expect with that if I ran it as hard as I could. Or could I get a used 2.3L whipple or 2.9L whipple and somehow get some performance shop to make the brackets and whatnot to make it fit? I am sick of driving around a car thats meant to be boosted but with no boost and only ~350hp so if I can put an eaton and get 600 hell I would do it for the time being, the eaton is only 800 bucks too!! maybe I could port and polish and with the built motor get like 700hp with the eaton or am I just dreaming. I have been out of the car world for 5 years and JUST got back and got the car in the shop getting back running again so now is the time to do it. If i could get a turbo kit cheap I would, but I hear on3 performance has all sorts of problems, and I just love superchargers, especially whipples.

TLDR: Can I basically buy ANY whipple and have someone custom fab it to fit my built motor and then get a tune and just rock out?

#6 ·
I will be going with a 0n3 performance single turbo kit and I will just replace the crappy parts with quality ones, (what is the best turbo I can get and what do you recommend? Its just a street car that hauls ass I never go to the track. Only using 93 octane. 76mm ? what AR

#7 ·
In my opinion, putting an On3 performance turbo kit on your 2001 Cobra would be a mistake. In general, turbo kits present reliability issues and the low cost On 3 kit has proven to be problematic with exhaust leaks and other problems. Another minus of the On3 kit is that the factory K member must be replaced with a weaker light weight drag race tubular unit.

If you want to add boost on a budget without the reliability issues and headaches of a turbo kit, I would piece together a used Vortech, Paxton or pro charger blower kit. The street/strip blowers such as the Vortech T, Paxton Novi 2000 and the Procharger F units can outrun turbo kits if they are spun hard enough so why put with the turbo kit head aches? especially with a street car?

As an example of a low cost way to add boost, I put togeather an aftercooled Vortech kit with a T trim head unit with 60 pound injectors, Lightning MAF,Vortech maxflow bypass valve, home made power pipe, Diablosport MAFIA, Terminator tank and pumps, AEM methonal kit for just over 3 grand. not too bad. No need to swap out the factory K member either. Except for a leaking pulley shaft seal that I had to replace shortly after installing the used Vortech head unit, the kit has been reliable.

Here is my used kit installed on my 2001 Cobra
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design

I'm perfectly satisfied with this kit and when I get around to rebuilding the short block, I will add an overdrive crank damper, 8 rib conversion and a upgraded tensioner to get the big boost levels that the T trim unit is capable of.

#8 ·
I would do the CG Fabrications system. I use a Precision PT8285 and it spools quite nice actually.

#9 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
A short block stuffed with Custom Diamond Pistons Oliver Billet Rods seems tailor made for at least a Vortech T trim, Procharger F series or Paxton Novi 2000 size blower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.