Heavily Modified, can I put any supercharger I want on my car?

+ Reply to Thread

Icon5 Heavily Modified, can I put any supercharger I want on my car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVUHzAbkbew

This is my 2001 SVT Cobra. This is a video of the car idling after getting a tune from bob kurgan. It put down 343RWHP / 329RWTQ naturally aspirated.

284ci built by Modular Performance
    Custom Diamond Pistons
    Oliver Billet Rods
    BULLET Custom Cams

Livernois Stage 3 CNC Ported Heads

ProMotion built 5-speed transmission (750hp)

I had it built with custom ground turbo cams, but now I don't have the funds and dont really want to go that far and turbo it, so I was thinking of getting a used supercharger and somehow making it fit... the engine is built as **** and is just nasty so I can just put high boost and get like 700hp on pump im sure ? anyways... I just want to supercharge it so bad and really only have like a 3K spending limit, less is even better. On ebay I see this ..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Mu...abe504&vxp=mtr

LOL is there any way to mount that on the engine, and how much power should I expect with that if I ran it as hard as I could. Or could I get a used 2.3L whipple or 2.9L whipple and somehow get some performance shop to make the brackets and whatnot to make it fit? I am sick of driving around a car thats meant to be boosted but with no boost and only ~350hp so if I can put an eaton and get 600 hell I would do it for the time being, the eaton is only 800 bucks too!! maybe I could port and polish and with the built motor get like 700hp with the eaton or am I just dreaming. I have been out of the car world for 5 years and JUST got back and got the car in the shop getting back running again so now is the time to do it. If i could get a turbo kit cheap I would, but I hear on3 performance has all sorts of problems, and I just love superchargers, especially whipples.

TLDR: Can I basically buy ANY whipple and have someone custom fab it to fit my built motor and then get a tune and just rock out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

what if i got an eaton and then intercooled it, and put the highest boost i could? would that work?

Sure...John built ya a hell of a motor...u can pretty much do what u want...there are even used procharger kit floating around for 2k...

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Default i g

would having :turbo cams: affect it negatively in any way or if I supercharged this with a 2.9L whipple what do you think it could make

ok I found this, does this look "safe" to you? http://www.ebay.com/itm/O3P-4-6-Must...ccc623&vxp=mtr or could it be a scam is there any way to protect myself

I will be going with a 0n3 performance single turbo kit and I will just replace the crappy parts with quality ones, (what is the best turbo I can get and what do you recommend? Its just a street car that hauls ass I never go to the track. Only using 93 octane. 76mm ? what AR

Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

In my opinion, putting an On3 performance turbo kit on your 2001 Cobra would be a mistake. In general, turbo kits present reliability issues and the low cost On 3 kit has proven to be problematic with exhaust leaks and other problems. Another minus of the On3 kit is that the factory K member must be replaced with a weaker light weight drag race tubular unit.

If you want to add boost on a budget without the reliability issues and headaches of a turbo kit, I would piece together a used Vortech, Paxton or pro charger blower kit. The street/strip blowers such as the Vortech T, Paxton Novi 2000 and the Procharger F units can outrun turbo kits if they are spun hard enough so why put with the turbo kit head aches? especially with a street car?

As an example of a low cost way to add boost, I put togeather an aftercooled Vortech kit with a T trim head unit with 60 pound injectors, Lightning MAF,Vortech maxflow bypass valve, home made power pipe, Diablosport MAFIA, Terminator tank and pumps, AEM methonal kit for just over 3 grand. not too bad. No need to swap out the factory K member either. Except for a leaking pulley shaft seal that I had to replace shortly after installing the used Vortech head unit, the kit has been reliable.

Here is my used kit installed on my 2001 Cobra
    Name:  9353705395_edf6664968_b.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  96.8 KB

I'm perfectly satisfied with this kit and when I get around to rebuilding the short block, I will add an overdrive crank damper, 8 rib conversion and a upgraded tensioner to get the big boost levels that the T trim unit is capable of.

I would do the CG Fabrications system. I use a Precision PT8285 and it spools quite nice actually.

Blown cars can run real good with a head unit capable of putting out good amount of boost. An example: 29 pounds of boost out of a T-Trim Vortech results in 7.99 170 MPH without the complexities of a turbo set up.

Read more: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...#ixzz2qVSGt874
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hmm im really liking the sound of the centri blowers...... thanks for the info guys.... is there a certain model or 'size' I should go for where I can make optimal power/boost for 93 octane? thanks a ton

Quote Originally Posted by EVLSVT View Post
    hmm im really liking the sound of the centri blowers...... thanks for the info guys.... is there a certain model or 'size' I should go for where I can make optimal power/boost for 93 octane? thanks a ton

A short block stuffed with Custom Diamond Pistons Oliver Billet Rods seems tailor made for at least a Vortech T trim, Procharger F series or Paxton Novi 2000 size blower.

14. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread