Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1956 F100 Crew Cab 4.6 Crown Victoria Motor swap help

28K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kstones63 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

well I am new to the mod motor madness, but a veteran when it comes to customs.

I have been building a 1956 F100 Crew Cab for a couple years now and have purchased a 2006 Crown Victoria for the drive train.

We are using the engine, wiring, and front suspension on the project.

The front suspension has been installed and the engine has been test fit for clearance.

I will be swapping In a Tremec TR3650 from a 2002-2004 Mustang Gt.

I have been trying to research two issues and need some guidance.

1) The car has a return less fuel system. I plan on using a tanks inc. fuel pump setup for my 70's mustang tank.
2) The 100lbs of wiring that I removed from the crown vic. What can I shave off the harnesses?

#2 ·
Welcome!
1. The return less fuel system will require the computer from the Crown Vic to control the fuel pump (or an aftermarket controller), or you can change it to a simpler return style. Not sure how the computer is set up or if the fuel pump controller is separate on the Vic? I just posted about this earlier this week. Call Jason Fore and talk to him - foreperformance.com. Post 19: http://www.modularfords.com/threads/197257-96-Mark-VIII-upfit-with-03-Cobra-Blower/page2
2. about 90 lbs! Kevin Stone has covered this several times: search kstones63.

Find an EVTM manual on the Crown Vic for all the wiring harness info.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, i forgot. Post pictures or be banned! :)

#3 ·
All true. Especially the pics part. I miss my old 54 F100. Now I sport a 57. A CC would be the ultimate family cruising truck!

The EVTM is an awesome tool to help you realize what to keep and what to shave for wiring. That and the service manual together should cover most all wiring questions you have. Otherwise, you'd have some on here typing for days on what to splics, save, cut, relay or whatever.

I really wish the price of those Panthers would come down. All us F100 owners are searching for them and they are getting expensive for a clean one.

Good luck and I am anxious to see the build.

Dave

#4 ·
All true. Especially the pics part. I miss my old 54 F100. Now I sport a 57. A CC would be the ultimate family cruising truck!

The EVTM is an awesome tool to help you realize what to keep and what to shave for wiring. That and the service manual together should cover most all wiring questions you have. Otherwise, you'd have some on here typing for days on what to splics, save, cut, relay or whatever.

I really wish the price of those Panthers would come down. All us F100 owners are searching for them and they are getting expensive for a clean one.

Good luck and I am anxious to see the build.

Dave
I have the wiring diagrams for the 06 crown Victoria. My question is more of what can be shaved from the system while allowing the computer to communicate correctly.

I will be using an aftermarket steering column, stock (1956) switches, Dakota digital cluster, vintage air , tanks inch in tank fuel pump, aftermarket corvette style firewall mounted booster.

I picked up my Vic with 114k as a running driving ex police car (bought from a private seller not a police auction) for $500.00. I searched for maybe 4 months.

Anybody running the stock fuel system with a tanks inc in tank fuel pump??

I have seen one hot rod article saying they used a corvette in tank pump with a return style corvette fuel filter. I'm just not sure if the Vic computer will communicate correctly with the tanks inc fuel pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome!
1. The return less fuel system will require the computer from the Crown Vic to control the fuel pump (or an aftermarket controller), or you can change it to a simpler return style. Not sure how the computer is set up or if the fuel pump controller is separate on the Vic? I just posted about this earlier this week. Call Jason Fore and talk to him - foreperformance.com. Post 19: http://www.modularfords.com/threads/197257-96-Mark-VIII-upfit-with-03-Cobra-Blower/page2
2. about 90 lbs! Kevin Stone has covered this several times: search kstones63.

Find an EVTM manual on the Crown Vic for all the wiring harness info.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, i forgot. Post pictures or be banned! :)
I want to post pictures, but I don't have enough posts yet. Sry.

#5 ·
If you use a returnless system, I believe you will need a pump that can handle the control. As far as I know, those Walbros are designed to run at 100% on a return style system. The pump only knows it has voltage.

If you keep the returnless set up, you will need the fuel pump control module, and you will have to wire it all up. Check that out in the EVTM for the car. I was reading a thread on another forum about the fuel pump not keeping up in returnless style cars on quick manual shifts.

Setting up the return style is easier, and the control is simply the requlator.

Not sure what your tank looks like, but look at the minium depth. Consider the plate that Tanks sells to get a flat spot for the pump to mount to. The ribs in my 62 Fairlane tank were too deep to allow it to seal. We installed it upside down from what they intended, to get the needed depth.

Gas Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

#6 ·
Herb is going to be running their in tank setup and that's what I plan to do as well. I'll be running their PA-4 setup in the stock Fairlane tank. My Mark VIII wiring had the fuel pump going through a VCRM which was a variable speed relay module that handled the A/C, cooling fan and the fuel pump operations. It can be deleted for a few relays in place of it. Does your setup have something similar?

I'm not sure what all you have that can be deleted. I'm interested though as I do plan do go through this someday. I called the wrecking yard today. Seems some prick in Denver picked up all their 03-08 panther setups not too long ago. I have a potential lead on one so I'll see.

Some things you can potentially delete are egr, A/C, knock sensor, steering sensor (CV's have some steering sensing circuit I read). I'm not sure about the rest of the stuff. To delete something, you'll more than likely need to retune for it because things like the EGR and Knock sensors would surely throw a code and cause some drivability issue.

Good luck!

Dave

#7 ·
I just read your thread a couple of days ago on the FTE website. Very impressive build.
Post pics in a photobucket account and you should be able to post right away.
Do buy an EVTM manual for that year car. You will just about wear out the pages in it dissecting the harness down. It is time consuming to do but it works out well. From what I saw on your build page, you seam like the type of person that would rather do it yourself than spend the $800 for the Ron Francis harness. Take a lot of notes when you dissect the harness so you can find all of the wires as you go. String tags(Walmart) and an electrical number book from Home Depot are also very valuable to have.
I am doing another 63 F100 unibody for my son right now that we are using Jag IFS and Jag IRS along with a 5.4 DOHC Navigator engine. This engine, he is going to buy the Ron Francis Televork harness because the person that removed the engine and trans hacked up the original harness too bad to save.

I am watching and reading everything that I can about the returnless or return type fuel system. I put a Cobra intake on the Navi engine and it uses a returnless fuel system so I am interested in the comments and final decisions about this. I think that I need to convert it over to a return type system.

Kevin

#8 ·
Here is a link to my build page on FTE.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ct-started-lots-of-pictures.html#post10914047

- - - Updated - - -

I just read your thread a couple of days ago on the FTE website. Very impressive build.
Thank you.

Do buy an EVTM manual for that year car.
EVTM? wiring manual?

From what I saw on your build page, you seam like the type of person that would rather do it yourself than spend the $800 for the Ron Francis harness.
You hit the nail right on the head there my friend.

Attachments

#10 ·
They used to call the manuals - Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. (EVTM) It appears that they call them something different now.
I am also using the Tanks Inc fuel tank in my son's truck with the in tank fuel pump. I need as much info as I can on the fuel system. Aeromotive has a bypass regulator that they claim will do the job. (Aeromotive 13109)
Their regulator hooks in right at the fuel rails with the bypass hose coming out of the bottom to return to the tank. They have the installation instructions on their website.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.