Main Bearing Replacement

+ Reply to Thread

Default Main Bearing Replacement

I'm having trouble with my rebuild. Purchased Main and Rod bearings for the rebuild. Torqued down the main caps and tried turning the crank and couldn't... I went back a few steps in the book and found these 4.6L -V modular engine uses a three grade select-fit Main bearing system (what ever that is). Obviously the main bearings I purchased wont work for this engine. I found the letters on the block and on the counterweight... Block has on it MOKIL and the crank has QSSSM... took a look at the chart and from what I can figure the first bearing is grade Blue, second is Blue, Third is Orange, Fourth is Orange and Fifth is Blue... Now... How do I go about getting these ordered... I'm sure it's dealer only but I'm frustrated and it's Saturday... I have Till Monday to find out what to do. I'd like some reassurance... I'm sure a few of you know what I mean.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

Default Part number

what is the part number off the box of bearings you bought?

Federal Mogul part number 7289 MA then below that says "A"-Series (Bored Alum)... Since this sending out this thread I found what happened... I have a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII. I have the Ford shop manual on CD... I found a discrepancy in the torque setting on the jack screws on the main bearings. I torqued the main caps in sequence as the sop manual said then did the final 90 degree turn. The crank turned fine. Then the manual said to torque the jack screws on sides 25 foot pounds then turn 80 to 90 degrees. After that step it put a bind on the crank. I looked in the manual under several different cars same block all the manual said was to just secure the jack screws to 44 inch pounds in sequence then the final torque to 80 to 97 inch pounds. The block I have is aluminum. As I was tightening the jack screws that 90 degree turn I heard a pop. I found 2 cracks from torquing it down too much... This was an original Ford shop manual on CD for the Mark VIII. Do I have any recourse on this discrepancy with Ford? I ordered a new block from SHM for $500.00 with shipping. This one is a romeo steal block... Also, I'm thinking I cant use these bearings on the new steel block. I noticed under the part number 7289 MA it says "A" Series (Bored Alum) I'm thinking these bearings are for the Aluminum block I had. Just guessing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Some other things you may need to determine the bearings I need... 94 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6L DOHC much like the cobra but I take it the lower internals (piston crank and rods) are not the same. What I have out of the Mark VIII is an aluminum block with RF-F2LE stamped on it. I did not see an R or a W stamped anywhere but the local Lincoln dealership looked it up by the VIN# and verified that it is a Romeo block and not the Windsor. The Lincoln also had a forged steal crank part # F2LE AG-300 that I plan on carrying over along with the stock pistons and "crack type rods" over on to the cast iron romeo block from SHM. Here's a link over to the 4.6L page on the SHM site. http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=47&osCsid=ee 29baf0e2bed6e809907de9f98073af
    I called to order the block but they were fresh out at the time... I'm on a call list for when they get their stock up on the romeo block. I checked the local Ford/Lincoln dealership but that block is $2000.00 buck. the parts guy said Ford will do anything for rebuilders to get cores to rebuild engines. So here I am buying parts on line Please if its anything here that you see I'm not heading in the right direction please let me know. The only recourse I have on this car is knowing similar modular performance engines are in the Cobra Mustang. Not much is left available in dealerships parts (most everything is now obsolete on the Mark VIII), and not much made it to the parts stores markets like Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc. For the rebuild I had to look under the Cobra Mustang to get the gasket sets I needed. Need all the help and knowledge I can get.

Thanks,
    Doug

You need some help. It looks like you have a lot of bad information. There is a very reputable ford shop right in longwood. Lamotta perf. 407 695 4549. There is a big aftermarket parts supply available for these engines.

Senior Member Array

Default Lots of options

If you cracked the aluminum block, that will need to be replaced. You can find them in the classified on most web sites for less than the $500 that you paid for a cast iron block. You will need to overbore it and add new pistons. Might as well get new rods too. Unless your doing something outstanding in the horsepower game, the crank should be OK. Once it's all balanced, you should be good to go. The rod bearings are common for the CI / Aluminum block. The main bearings are different.

Hope this helps.

Senior Member Array

I just had a complete Navi engine shipped right to my door from these guys: http://www.karkraft.com/ Service was excellent.

995.00 for a complete engine with wiring harness and it appears to have very low miles on it.....who'd a thunk. To bad I'm just using it for a mock up.

Anyway I'm pretty sure they have what you are looking for.
    D

Member Array

Hevy D,

Need me to take it off your hands when your done with it?? (for a price of course) May be good motor for the Lightning project...

Eric

11. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread