Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Beware of this head porting service

18K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nucworker 
#1 ·
I purchased the SA Design book titled How to rebuild 4.6/5.4 liter Ford engines. Contained in the pages of this book is a article on a company named Powerheads Engineering. As the book states they are the authority on modular head porting. Don't you believe it for a second. I have the pics of the heads as delivered and the quality of their work is substandard. They claim that the ports are hand finished to remove the lines left by the CNC machine to enhance flow. None of the ports are the same which makes me think the CNC process never happened. Don't let them give you the BS about lines of resolution.

I had a set of 2v PI heads CNC ported with larger Manley valves and Comp springs. This service cost me 1700.00 paid in full. 3 months later I received the heads back and another receipt for 160.00 shipping. The shipping was never discussed and therefore never authorized. When questioned about the charge Ralph Pici (owner) stopped talking or answering emails.

That's when the shipping dispute got opened and things really got interesting. His response to the credit card dispute was that I said I was going to open a false claim just to harass him and that my intentions were to have Discover card penalize him, which were untrue. I'm 46 not 14; I just didn't feel it was right as a business to not inform the customer of extra charges and then process them without authorization. I checked the shipping through USPS and it should have cost $72, so $160 for a set of heads is a bit much.

So in closing, beware doing anything with Ralph Pici and Powerheads Engineering. I would recommend Livernoise, Fox Lake, Total Engine Airflow or Performance CNC.

If you do business with this shady company and get burned, just remember you have been warned.

Patrick

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for the warning i got mine from mhs nick mckinney he took a long time but he gave me stg 2 new heads for blemished heads for same price because of the wait so ill give him a plug mullet99

#3 ·
Cool, I wish I had gone anywhere else. I normally wouldn't raise a stink but what he told the CC company was absolute BS. I never said or emailed anything like what he told them. The wife and I are getting our ducks in a row and will continue the fight. With all the email traffic I have the CC company will have to review the case.

#4 ·
I really hate post like these....We only see one side of the problem or perceived problem and no one sided discussion is truthful or valid. I know you think you might have gotten a bad deal? But what do you have to back that up? No pictures were posted, the cost you paid is in-line if not low considering the work and really the beef seems to be with the 160.00 shipping fee. If it is really the $160.00 that has your tail in a twist, is it worth trashing a guy/business over that? The heads got there in good condition right? Would it have been better if they threw them in a single strength box, tossed in some news-paper and called it a day, ...but only charged you 40.00?

I know many like to air there dirty laundry on this site, but it's really a raw deal when you try to bake someone over such a case, and supply no supporting pictures, details or other evidence that would suggest the guy did anything wrong. As for the 3 months...sorry sometimes it takes time. Depending on the time of year you drop those heads off, it can take a long time. Most busy dealers will have a line of customers waiting there turn for service, to bad if you had to take your place in the back of the line. It would have been nice if you gave a little more info about the facts leading up to the deal and not just the part you were mad about. I have read that same book you mentioned in your post, and many other books by the same publishing company and or author....Generally they give very good advice, and the companies they choose to name are among the better in the industry. Now this does not mean the guy didn't send out a bad set of heads, but with your lack of knowledge on the subject, lack of physical proof, and the fact you seem toasted over the 160.00 shipping, I would have to side with the the company . You didn't mention any action taken by you because of bad workmanship or disappointment in the quality of the work, only the fact they charged you" to much" for the shipping.
I would say if your not happy with the end product, just don't use the guy again. You don't have to make a big deal over it.

#5 · (Edited)
On his web site is specifically says on cylinder heads everything is paid up front. I did pay it up front and thought everything was good. The company never informed me of additional charges for return shipping. He held my CC info and ran an additional charge without my authorization. I didn't even know the charge happened until the heads arrived and the second receipt was stapled to the original purchase order. When the dispute was opened he responded by sending the CC company a different receipt that says the shipping is an extra charge. The receipt I was provided was hand written and says nothing about the additional shipping. He lied about things that were said between us. I have emails to support my story and a screen shot of his response to the CC Company.

So next time you make an order for something and you pay in full at the time of purchase, when you get an additional charge for shipping in the amount of 160.00 just take it as a loss and move on. Don't go on the forums and inform others to be cautious with this company. I know I'm probably fighting a losing battle but in any case I'm trying to inform my forum brothers and maybe help some of them out.

Thanks for the response, I'll post pics tomorrow. The pics will show heads that do not appear to have been CNC ported. The porting looks nothing like the company's I mentioned in my original post.

Patrick

#6 ·
Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Car Bumper
Automotive exterior Material property Composite material Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive engine gasket Electrical wiring
Wood Material property Fixture Gas Fluid
Automotive tire Eyelash Iris Automotive wheel system Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Hood
Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Grille

I know in the pics the heads look decent. What I questioned him on was that they don't look like CNC'd heads and the gasket match on the intake should be the same on all 8 ports. The reason I wanted CNC work was so everything would be the same. The other issue was the shipping. He never said anything about I owed it or how much. He just used the CC info he kept on file and charged it. No authorization was ever given.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.