Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Shelby gt500 engine in 2001 mustang gt

75K views 258 replies 17 participants last post by  eschaider 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been working on this swap for a short time now in between trips for work. Its been hot as hell here the last couple of weeks so I can only get time in during the early mornings but it is coming along. There are quite a few "gotcha" moments on this type of swap. I have done the cobra swap and that was a piece of cake in comparison. I am hoping to be completed here soon. UPR kmember and using energy suspension mounts for an 03 cobra, Ford Racing cable single blade throttle, T56 Transmission with spec stage 3 Plus clutch. There is so much more to this than I can put in a few pics and I have been stumped by a few things but thanks to SilverHelion I have been able to get thru a number of the gotcha's. I still have to build a fuel system but I have in mind to run to triple pump set up rated for E85.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Engineering
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
Gas Event Liquid Drinkware Metal
Wood Rectangle Composite material Font Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Gas
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Rim Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

A320PYLT

See less See more
#88 ·
Worked on the cats that needed some small welding work in order to make system function. I had the GT500 cats but they were never going to fit because ford designed that system to fit the S197 frame and not the New Edge. So the mounting ends were cut off the the GT500 system because we knew for a fact that they bolted directly this engines manifolds. The end result is this.

Attachments

#99 ·
Coming to the end now, custom made throttle cable, even used the GT500 coolant tank for the intercooler. I will change that later but I have it set up. Changed the fuel rail set up so that each individual rail gets its own feed line rather than one with a crossover. Still working on the IAC motor but that should be minor so long as I can get enough vacuum. I am hoping that I can get it from the supercharger off the brake vacuum since this car has hydroboost it doesn't require that line. Photos tomorrow

A320pylt

#151 ·
Changed the fuel rail set up so that each individual rail gets its own feed line rather than one with a crossover.
A320pylt
Any pics of this? Still trying to figure out if I should try to modify the stock rails for my return setup or try and use the aftermarket rails I have on my current motor. I am sure I am getting way ahead of myself as I haven't even taken the GT500 motor out of the car! I'll have to start a build thread soon.

#100 ·
That's awesome!! Glad to see you're making good progress. I have a question. What upper radiator hose did you use, and what about the small nipple at the top corner of the radiator that usually goes to the coolant expansion tank?

#101 ·
Well that was a bit of an issue as the GT500 thermostat housing was much larger than my car's radiator opening. I was able to get part of the housing off a GM Cadi that fit perfectly and the house diameter was the same as my radiator. Been busy but will get some photos tomorrow for sure.

#108 ·
Ok so had the car running today and it runs like ****. One thing is for certain, its running very very rich. Now I still need to hook up the idle air control but that should not have it running like it is. It almost sounds like its missing however the computer hooked up says all holes are firing. Now I am wondering if they are firing in the correct order? I may have to pull this harness and start the wiring process all over again which would be a MAJOR PIA.

A320PYLT

#119 ·
Yes had it running and it ran like crap for a minute and I found out that one injector was not firing, once that was fixed it ran great but the wire harness was a mess so I decided to redo the whole thing. Its very time consuming but I want it done right. So now it has the cold air kit, single blade throttle body, 80lb injectors, 10% lower harmonic balancer, AEM 50-1200 fuel pumps, 10an fuel line and allum drive shaft. Going to change the mass air flow to SCT big air 5000 and change the super charger and then off to the dyno.

A320PYLT

#120 ·
I've been going back and forth for a couple of months on what to do about the supercharger. I have of course the stock M122 that came with the engine and since I installed that innovator west 10% overdrive pulley it spins faster but still limited in terms of power. I have been torn about what to put on there. I was seeing a bunch of TVS 2.3 blowers off the new 5.8l engines and they produce much better than the 2.1's and its a direct fit. They have been on avg anywhere from $1400 used to $2800 new. I really wanted more so that in the future if and when I tear this block down and rebuild I would have more room to grow with the blower and that would mean stepping up another notch. So after going back and forth for months I finally put my order in for the Venom Force 2.9l Whipple.

The wiring has been a pain but I am working thru the issues well. Going to upgrade that heat exchanger too. Photos will follow just as soon as it arrives

A320PYLT

#126 ·
Well I had no desire to build the 4.6l but this guy I sold mine too ripped me off and send me back his crap of an engine. Its a allum 99 block so should be a teksid block and so long as the block has not been ventilated I can build the bottom end to 04 cobra standards but it will be lighter since the factory block was iron. I can put it in an f150 or sell it just now sure yet.

A320PYLT

#129 ·
Getting near the end of this super long project and only have a couple of parts left to do before turning this over to the master tuner Eric Brooks. As I await the arrival of the Whipple here are two new additions for her. Tubular upper and lower rear control arms and new shoes:>) The socks arrive on monday lol 315/35/17 Nitto 555 in the rear and 275/40/17 up front.

A320PYLT

Attachments

#130 ·
Don't let anyone tell you that these rear control arms are easy to install because they really are not. I know they look docile enough but its that rear end, the springs and the exhaust that wear you down. I got rid of the quad shock as they say you no longer need them once you install these tubular ones but we will see soon.

A320PYLT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.