Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

CG Fab Twin 2V Turbo Build

42K views 89 replies 13 participants last post by  y2k2gt 
#1 ·
Finally pulled the trigger on my new setup! After deliberating on whether to go with a larger billet ball bearing turbo or billet twins (both could easily make enough power) I went with twins for the following reasons: More average HP, quicker recovery between shifts, faster spool with a manual, the more I learned about turbos the less I was willing to stay the course with my old setup, and I love the CG Kit!

There are some differences in fitment with the 2V Kit...so far it looks simpler.

See less See more
#2 ·
Started mocking everything up before ceramic coat and everything is going along great. With the 2v kit the driver header and up pipe are noticeably different...its looks clearanced for the oil cooler/water adapter! not sure if I will still have to run a remote oil filter. I'll know soon.

[URL=http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/s1ten/media/photo1_zps8dad89b1.jpg.html]

Header and up pipe clear the A/C. I had to move the break lines a little but not too much. With my MM K Member the passenger side header is close right at the collector. I may have to raise the engine a little and or clearance something.

[URL=http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/s1ten/media/photo1_zps7b728d98.jpg.html]

#3 ·
Ran into a problem...up pipe was cut too tall. Sent it back to Caleb and he took care of it.

A/C lines had to be bent a little. Hard to tell how much because I had already bent it some to clear my single.

Got everything back...looks like it all fits great now. He also clearance an area I marked that contacted the K member. Time to get everything to the ceramic coated. I'll post some more pics with a better camera soon.

#4 · (Edited)
Good Timing on the C&G build. I bought my 2V car with a home made twin 57mm setup (720hp @ 18psi) but I hate the quality of the work that was done and I would LOVE the C&G piping to replace what my car already has. I just have higher priorities for the car right now than replace the hot/cold side.

Get your camera fixed so things are in color then take a lot of pics!;)

I'll be curious how you run the piping from the turbos to the exhaust and get the wide front tires to clear.

Good Luck, I'll be watching!

ks

#9 ·
Thanks. I'll be getting everything coated this week. Turbo X coating is what I'll most likely be going with. Right now just trying to figure out how I'm going to mount PS and expansion tank in the fender.

#12 ·
Since there isn't many TT 2V builds out there here's a link to my finished 2V TT car. Maybe some pics will help you decide where you do/don't want to mount things. I'm redoing a lot of things and I post pics of the items I'm changing.

http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

hth's
ks

#13 ·
Don't know if you know this but the builder of your car made a really good build thread. I believe it titled "Just another 2v Build". You may want to add to that...it's a nice thread.

#15 ·
[URL=http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/s1ten/media/powdercoatdropoff_zps256fe630.jpg.html]

Dropped everything off for ceramic coat...powdercoating the compressor housings also.

Next: Figure out what route I'm going to take with expansion and power steering reservoir.

Battery relocation. Looking to put together something clean, safe and legal. I've looked at a really sweet set up on Killspray's thread...awesome but, not sure if I want to go to that extensive. Suggestions??

#16 ·
Here's some of the work I did early this summer in prep for going to twins. Wide ratio T56 Magnum, RXT, 3:55 Gears. Astro Performance clearance the front plate for added clutch fork clearance, countersunk the forward shifter plate bolts and removed a tab on the passenger side of the case so it fits better in SN95's. New trans and clutch are LIGHT YEARS better than my TKO600/Spec 3+

#18 · (Edited)
Just got everything back. Turbo X coating came out nice.

PT CEA Billet Wheel up close

I love how everything turned out...the black turbos looks mean and business like IMO! Polished the inlets up with a Mothers Power Ball before I put them back on, only took a few minutes.

#54 ·
Who did the black coating? I need a heat shield done in a matte black that can withstand the heat coming off the exhaust housings.

KS

#21 ·
Going to slow down a bit till after Christmas but, I'm considering a few options on the expansion tank, PS reservoir, remote oil filter (if needed) and battery relocation.

Still leaning towards battery relocation but, a friend just finished up his 2v YSI set-up...he mounted a Braille in the factory location with a Braille mount. Looks great, something to consider

Howell Racing expansion tank or HPP Motorsports mounted higher than the heads to relieve air pockets (engine bay) or stuff something in the fender (air pockets in head with no 2v cooling mod is a concern if mounted too low)

If I decide to put everything in the fender and I need to run a remote oil filter, figuring out where to mount everything and still be able to use the wheel well liner???

#22 · (Edited)
Have a few updates:

I got the headers up pipe and turbos installed. Stage 8 header bolts fit no problem...I little tricky getting some of the c clips on but not too bad. I went also with Remflex gaskets. I decided to use a T set-up for oil return. I had to spiral the passenger side around a bit. I may need some more adjustment when I install the down pipe.

Clears AC without an issue (you will have to remove it at least with my MM K member.)

The 2 valve header and up pipe clear the oil filter assembly but, you can not use the stock height oil filter. I'm going to try a shorter filter. If anyone know the pn for one let me know.

Starting to take shape!

#23 ·
Congrats to you and CG Fabrication on the install. It looks really nice.... and keep the pics coming.
I can't wait to swap my TT hot side to the CG kit. Every time I open the hood I cringe at how ugly it looks.

ks

#24 ·
Thanks...its getting there! Won't know what to do with myself once its back on the road.

#29 ·
Everything is -10. -3 oil feed. MMR makes the pan, I called them with the same question and was told they plumb all there cars the same but use a Y instead of a T. If there's an issue down the road I'll modify the pan.

#40 · (Edited)
They build racecars that blow up, not street cars. That is their copout answer to EVERYTHING. Our racecar this, we've never had that problem that. Etc. The sale is done. You have the pan. They give no more sh!ts and will tell you whatever it takes to get you off the phone to quit inconveniencing them.

While the single drain may work, two drains would be a better idea.

#31 ·
I don't have the exact setup as you, but the hp kit rather where the turbos are mounted in the bumper really low. It use to be setup where each turbo drained individually to the pan, but after the turbos started blowing smoke, i ran them to a homemade catch can that fed a turbowerx scavange pump then just one line went to the oil pan. After that, i haven't had any issues in about 10k miles. No smoke, leaks or drainback issues that i could tell.

#32 ·
You both bring up good points...will definitely see how much oil is drains individually vs from the adjoining T Fitting when I get it going. If I run into issues I'll be making a change to my pan.

#33 ·
I usually like the KISS pholosophy but the catch can and scavenging pump idea sounds really good. I never thought there would be that much oil draining back but my Vortech has the same size drain hose and it always has some seepage around the lower fitting closest to the pan.
Everything looks well thought out, I'm enjoying watching the progress

#35 ·
About an inch. MM K member doesn't have a lot of extra room. I don't think you need to with any of the others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.