Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

f150 coyote what cheap cams for best overall usage

10K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ashford 
#1 ·
i currently have a 2013 f150 5.0 boss intake in my mercury capri. i am fairly happy with it just have the itch for a bit more. this is my thought, i just picked up another, a 2014 16k miles $3100 shipped. the intent was to drop this into a 1940's jeep pickup with twin or possibly quad turbos(aesthetics) with forged pistons/rods. now i am thinking i should change to mustang intake cams and drop this in the capri then build the older motor for the jeep

then i started having questions would i be better off with boss cams? if i did how would the low end torque and drivability be? as it sits the f150 has stupid low end for a small size stock motor and revs to 6500 before it falls on its face. the car is my summer daily driver it has ac and very comfortable to drive.

i think i may be partial to the gt cams and the boss are a bit too much.

does anyone here have experience with all 3 cams? how do they act/perform?

last question, i have vvt working on a megasquirt, is there a difference in valve reliefs/interference between f150 and gt/boss pistons?

See less See more
#3 ·
from what i have found the boss and gt have the same intake(production vehicles) the exhaust is a bit bigger on the boss though. only thing i have unanswered is that the 11-14 cars had a br3z-6550-a and -b which have been superseded with a - e and -f. would this be the 2015 cams, different spec or was there a deficiency with the original design that was addressed.

#4 ·
i did the cam swap the other weekend along with billet pump gears and timing drive sprocket.
what suprised me is that there is a visual difference in the cams and not a small one, i can see it from 20 feet away. anyway i coudn't find any f150 cam specs on the net so i chucked it in the lathe and took a dial indicator measurement .002-.002 is 224 degrees, granted i didnt use a roller to check that is still quite small. anyone up to doing the calculus for me? :)

#5 ·
i just got done with a motor swapout. new engine is the same(stock f150 motor before with boss intake) except for mustang cams, boss valve springs and some billet replacement parts for oil pump and timing gears. im going to build up the old motor with some forged rods/pistons for a turbo setup.

first off the bat was that the intake cams were 5* off(exactly) from the f150 cams, so i just added 5* to vvt calibrations. there is s definate loss of low end below 3000 rpm but the top end should make up for it. torque is flat till about 7000rpm :shock: , i didnt expect a stock cammed motor to do that. another thing i noticed is that a small tick is no longer present and vvt3 behaves like vvt1 now and works much quicker at higher rpms. i had to add a bunch of fuel about 20% at higher loads which makes no sense to me as i have a maf, knock retard is acting more now, reduced timing took care of the lower speed/ higer loads, but light loads are a bit noisier now.

a screen shot of the action, maf load is pretty level aroun 80-85% bu correction table is averages about 120% so actual ve is near 100% to 7000 rpm.

Black Slope Rectangle Font Line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.