DOHC minus one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: DOHC minus one

Default DOHC minus one

I haven't been here for quite a while but I thought this may inspire some discussion.

I went to move the '93 when it made an awful sound for a couple of seconds and stuttered and died.

Autopsy photos...

Big cam 1.

Sprocket and chain 0.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Finally got around to getting it tore down. This just keeps getting better...

Name:  IMG_3324.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3325.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  80.7 KB

Junior Member Array

Ouch, can the piston be saved?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I doubt it. I just hope the cylinders are OK.

Junior Member Array

Best of luck with the repair

Block, crank and rods are all good. New Diamond flat top pistons, rings and bearings will be on the way.

Heads will be sent to Fox Lake. I expect some new valves and possibly valve guides will be involved.

Ordered the AccuFab secondary kit with HD chains and tensioners and looking to buy Cloyes billet secondary sprockets.

Placed an order for a Hogan sheet metal intake and I am considering switching the fuel system to E85.

Name:  16757 (2).jpg
Views: 254
Size:  99.2 KB

I know I need to find a high performance inline fuel pump to replace the Weldon 600A pump.

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  66.4 KB

Not sure, but I think the -10 and -8 steel braided fuel lines will be OK? I have -10 from the tank to the pump and -8 from the pump to the fuel rails and -8 for the return.

I'm sure the 42# injectors will need to be upsized. 60's seem to fit the calcs but it may need 80s?

Driller, If you haven't ordered the Diamonds yet you ought to take a look at the Gibtec alternative.

Click here for the pics and story => Gibtec Billet Pistons

These were purpose built for blown Modmotor engines from a clean sheet of paper and incorporate some attractive piston engineering specifically for blown motors.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I left the shop to order the pistons/rings since they were thinking of torque-plate honing the block.

I thought those were exclusive to the blown mod motor? Can the piston be modified for a NA 12:1 compression? This is for the 3.700 bore if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by driller; 11-21-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by driller View Post
    Thanks Ed. I left the shop to order the pistons/rings since they were thinking of torque-plate honing the block.

I thought those were exclusive to the blown mod motor? Can the piston be modified for a NA 12:1 compression? This is for the 3.700 bore if that makes any difference.

Absolutely! They are custom everything. That said, this winter there is a blown modmotor that looks like it will get built with 12.5:1 compression and Gibtec will build the pistons for him. The 3.700 bore is easily accomodated by the Gibtec guys. Talk to Nick over there. Tell him we spoke and you are not blown but you do want 12:1 compression for the 3.700 bore block. He can easily take care of you.

Ed

Thanks again.

I'll check with the shop and see if they have progressed to the point of ordering the pistons yet.

I'll be talking to the shop this coming week on the pistons and some other details.

I just received word the block was torque-plate honed and this project is on the front burner (again).

The block was picked up, measured and the Gibtec billet pistons have been ordered built for high compression and future nitrous application. I was told about 3 weeks to build the pistons. Heads have been sent off to Fox Lake for refurbishing. I need to follow up with Hogan's and start picking up some fuel components.

Hopefully, this time next month, things will start coming together.

FedEx made a delivery today...

Name:  IMG_8354.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  83.6 KB

Newer member here. What caused the gear to fail on start up? Sorry if I missed the backstory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truthfully I really don't really know but I suspect the high lift cam conspired with the flawed secondary tensioner design.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last