Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Starter/charging wiring 4.6 into 1966 mustang

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  joorloop 
#1 ·
So I'm doing a terminator swap into a 66 mustang. I have been researching on how to do the starter and charging system wiring but after looking at many diagrams I get mixed feelings. I plan on using an RJM wiring harness for the engine and "its a snap wiring" for the car. I'm looking to get any input or thoughts on the wiring. I'm looking for safe and simple.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to rethink the RJM harness. RJM closed their website some time ago;

Screenshot Font Rectangle Technology Multimedia

They appear for all intents and purposes to be out of business. If you don't want to take the time to modify an OEM harness to meet your requirements then you ought to consider looking at something like the DetailZone harness click here => Harness one of the site members has for sale - although just checking he may have already sold it.

A commercial harness like the Detail Zone's greatly simplifies the wiring task, provides for neat wiring/harness routing and most importantly has an in business manufacturer in the event something goes bump in the dark and you need help or just have questions about the best way to approach some aspect of the project.

Ed

#3 ·
I purchased the RJM wiring before they closed, but its actually a great wiring and have no issues with. I only had to make a slight modification because of the supercharger. Its ready to just plug in.

I guess I didn't really make my question specific. I was looking for input on the above drawing which is how I plan on running my wiring.

#4 ·
A couple of thoughts. You should fuse the alternator somewhat higher than its rated output. I would not fuse the battery. You need to indicate polarity on your drawing. There are electrical connections that are not on the drawing that need to be. The electrical system will need two or more (preferably more) robust grounds to the chassis and one preferably two grounds to the engine block.

Ed

#5 ·
I wouldn't use fuses for the starter and alternator. Fusible links are slow blow compared to the quick blow of a fuse. The rest of the stuff is fine but the amperage draw of those can spike slightly depending on the cold start, accessories on, etc. Just get the proper fusible link setup in there and you'll be fine. My take on it. Oh, if you're relocating the battery to the trunk, then make sure you have an engine ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.