It's alive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: It's alive

Default It's alive

Well after almost 2yrs of research, assembling and learning it's alive! I primed the oiling system, primed the fuel and turned the key. 3 cranks and she was alive!
    I'm blown away, it was so nerve racking but the valve train is super quiet but all you can hear is a little piston noise. The throttle response is spot on too.
    Now it's off to Kevin at wicked for a break-in on low boost.
    Huge thanks to Ed for the aid, teaching, long phone conversation and just being Ed!!!
    Huge thanks to AJ for much of the same .
    Dave, juiced 46 thanks buddy because without you it would not have run. He spend over 20hrs lending me a hand and teaching me how to time this thing.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439671140.845158.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  67.8 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

Cannot be happier for you. I have been following this build for awhile now. So awesome.

Senior Member Array

Congrats! This has been a long time coming!

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439676663.244424.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  68.1 KB

Congrats! Its an awesome feeling isn't it

Demented and old Array showme cobra's Avatar

Congrats for all the hard work you have put into it, car is awesome

Congrats on getting it fired up. It's very nerve racking starting a new engine the first time.

Senior Member Array dsg2003mach1's Avatar

congrats!

I never knew I could be so nervous to start a car until my first engine swap, great feeling when it fires off and runs right away

Congrats!

Now keep the timing conservative and keep it alive!

That's the plan BLK, it's a show car more than a track so we will keep it in check and enjoy it!

But, but, but.....

What are you going to do with all the newly freed up spare time?

Whenever I finish a huge project that I have years invested in I feel like there is now a hole in my life.

Then I remember that there is always another car, motorcycle, or airplane just waiting to send me to the poorhouse.

Congrats buddy! Glad to be a part of this build. Cannot wait to see how this combo performs.

Oldmodman, I'm not out of the woodwork yet, it has finishing touches it needs and has to be tuned. Once that's done and I can actually hop in and go for a cruise that empty space will be set in lol.
    I have a power goal I'm shooting for but to be honest if I get it awesome, if not but it stays alive and still make good power I'm still a happy man!!!! I'm looking for it living more than making that 1k mark.
    Dave let me know when I can come up and help you out. I owe you buddy, she fired up and ran so dam smooth everyone in that garage was blown away!

Congratulations Joe!

That was a long and at times challenging road you had to travel. The anxiety as to which solution and did I wisely choose the right one out of so many possible choices you had before you can be extraordinarily demanding. This is especially true when, like you were, the builder is faced with the myriad of choices (and opinions) before us as we try to do the job right the first time, right out of the box.

All that anxiety comes to a head as you prepare to start that engine for the first time. Every thing you did and every assembly nuance is laid out before you in your mind's eye as you try to look for any mistakes you may have made. Usually it is without success and only adds to our already higtened anxiety level.

The proof finally comes with the pudding and that first twist of the ignition key. When you have dotted your i's and crossed your t's correctly you get that welcome sound that you heard as your engine comes to life for that first time. This is a big deal and a special salute the engine has given you, the engine builder, for all the hard work you put in up to this point.

You only have detail level stuff to worry about going forward, like the head retorque I know you are doing this morning. You can run that first crankcase of oil from 100 miles to no more than 200 miles. Switch over to a good grade of non-synthetic to continue the break-in process. Around the 500 mile mark you can go to the Synthetic and on your second crankcase of synthetic you can start to use the PorLong.

The best part to be played out remains before you now and waiting. You will find an extraordinary attitude adjustment every time you get the opportunity to take it out and drive. It is hard to do much better, your smiles per mile needle will be flat against the peg on the far right side of the gauge.

Impressive job, relentless pursuit of your goal and exceptional execution — it don't get much better!

you still have your tune day at the dyno still waiting for you. Take car and enjoy.

Ed

p.s. In the oil change recommendation I forgot about your appointment with the dyno. Change the oil and filter after the dyno tune. Use the same non-synthetic again and look at the next change in the 100 - 200 mile window.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    But, but, but.....

What are you going to do with all the newly freed up spare time?

Whenever I finish a huge project that I have years invested in I feel like there is now a hole in my life.

Then I remember that there is always another car, motorcycle, or airplane just waiting to send me to the poorhouse.

Ooooh so true, Drew ...

Ed

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last