Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Coil cover spacers?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  NeverEnough 
#1 ·
I have an 03 I am working on for a friend and I has billet coil cover spacers. I've never seen these before Was this common at one point for a specific coil? The car has all new ford coils in it now and I don't see the need for the spacers unless I am missing something.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never seen that before!

#4 ·
They were made very well and fit perfect I almost didn't notice. My worry is that the factory coils could be sustaining damage from vibration. The car is surging and spitting above 4k but that likely has to do with the crushed over fuel filter line!

#6 ·
Matt, I suspect Tim (MaxV) hit the nail on the head. Someone at one point in time decided he had a better COP, perhaps the 2V, and built the spacers to give him more clearance with a taller COP. I would be suspect of the clearance available under the intake plenum on the passenger side. It is already vey close.

If he doesn't have the taller COPs still in there I would put the coil covers back on w/o the spacers, they serve no purpose.

Ed

#9 ·
Matt, I suspect Tim (MaxV) hit the nail on the head. Someone at one point in time decided he had a better COP, perhaps the 2V, and built the spacers to give him more clearance with a taller COP. I would be suspect of the clearance available under the intake plenum on the passenger side. It is already vey close.

If he doesn't have the taller COPs still in there I would put the coil covers back on w/o the spacers, they serve no purpose.

Ed
Matt is the guy who owns the car I just labeled the pic with his name so I would remember which car they came from. The car has a 2.2 KB on it and there was surprisingly plenty of clearance. Getting the spacers out did get an air gap back where there was none between the intake tube and coil cover.

#7 ·
They were made for the first set of granatelli cops for the 4v, which were pretty much just adapted 2v coils. Instead of the connector being straight out like normal 4v they were angled up so they needed the spacer for clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.