Which seats?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Which seats?

Senior Member Array

Default Which seats?

Need seat suggestions, want to preserve my factory mystichrome seats... Don't need anything exotic or crazy, something that fits nice and feels decent is good enough. Want them to work with the factory seat belts if possible. Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I stumbled across a full set of Mach 1 seats and put them in my Cobra. So now i have a brand new full set of cobra seats bagged and ready if ever needed.

But I like the look of the all black tuck and roll Mach 1 seats. Very Old School.

Senior Member Array

Considering people want like $800 a pair I'll pass....

Anyone try these?: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ssembled-79-04

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

Bueler?

You can get good seats, or you can get cheap seats. It's not really an area where you should skimp, but if you do, you'll get what you pay for. These Recaro seats in my '03 would cost over $4,000 for the pair when new, and even the ones that are OEM in the later Mustangs aren't inexpensive, for good reason!

Name:  P1030241.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  73.1 KB

If you want to preserve the OEM material, why don't you just remove the covers and get an aftermarket set to put in their place? Once you replace seats, you then have to spend more for bases and sliders, so it will add up no matter what. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Corbeaus are a good mid-range seat. Not too expensive, but not crappy either. Get the Corbeau manual slider bases (I have a extra pair I can sell you for less than they want for them if interested) and it'll sit nice and low compared to the stock seats. I'd recommend NOT running the adapter bars with stock seat bases unless you are fairly short.

You can use your stock seat belts with their manual slider brackets.

I recently put my stock seats back in after years of having Corbeau Carreras (similar to the current CR1s) in my car on their manual slider brackets, man- what a huge difference. The stock seats sit so high. As good as they look, they are just way too damn high for someone as tall as me at 6'-3". I think I might have to pick up a stock seat base and get it cut and welded to sit lower in the car. It's to the point where I dislike driving it with the stock seat since I know how much better it is with a lower seat.

Sparcos are good too, but I have no experience with their brackets or fit into our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    Corbeaus are a good mid-range seat. Not too expensive, but not crappy either. Get the Corbeau manual slider bases (I have a extra pair I can sell you for less than they want for them if interested) and it'll sit nice and low compared to the stock seats. I'd recommend NOT running the adapter bars with stock seat bases unless you are fairly short.

You can use your stock seat belts with their manual slider brackets.

I recently put my stock seats back in after years of having Corbeau Carreras (similar to the current CR1s) in my car on their manual slider brackets, man- what a huge difference. The stock seats sit so high. As good as they look, they are just way too damn high for someone as tall as me at 6'-3". I think I might have to pick up a stock seat base and get it cut and welded to sit lower in the car. It's to the point where I dislike driving it with the stock seat since I know how much better it is with a lower seat.

Sparcos are good too, but I have no experience with their brackets or fit into our cars.
    Were you running the single or double locking Corbeau seat brackets?

Mine are the single locking brackets. I did have to modify them to lock easily which was disappointing. Corbeau made them with big old rivet head touching one of the flat pieces that needs to move for the locking action to happen. The drag from the rivet kept the locking mechanism from springing tightly into the locking holes. A small notch above that rivet has it working perfectly. I'd give them an A on the seats, B- on the brackets. The locking thing, and the bolt for the seat belt anchor could be about 1/2" longer IMO. They are strong though, and they sit nice and low.

Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

I second the recommendation to get the best seats you can and nothing beats Recaro for seats. I just don't understand why people cheap out and buy lousy seats that feel horrible after a long trip. The OEM seats aren't too bad and you can get new upholstery and foam for them is they are a little worn.

Im currently eye balling a set of these Recaro sports for my 2001 Cobra
    Name:  Sport.1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  36.6 KB

Off topic a wee bit but are/is there a manual seat bracket that will work with the stock seats to drop them down? I agree with IWRBB the stock seats sit high, I am only 5-9 and feel like my head is too close, it touches with a helmet on.

Quote Originally Posted by torchred04 View Post
    Off topic a wee bit but are/is there a manual seat bracket that will work with the stock seats to drop them down? I agree with IWRBB the stock seats sit high, I am only 5-9 and feel like my head is too close, it touches with a helmet on.
    I'm not sure, but my gut feeling is a non-power OEM bracket out of a V6 would sit lower. You could probably get one from a junkyard cheap. The OEM seat comes off the bracket easily, it's just 4 bolts and you unplug one wire harness. You could measure the stock Cobra bracket height before you hit the junkyard, and then take the same measurements on the manual bracket to decide if it's worth buying. I wish I had measured mine, I had it off the seat a few months ago.

I want to cut and weld the stock Cobra bracket, then you still get the power/inflatable lumbar and 6 way/tilt, but get it sitting lower to the floor. I've seen pics online of SN95 brackets that were modified- they basically put a wide piece of tape around the "legs" going down to the floor, and cut/welded it at each end of the tape. Similar to how they chop a top on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by cobraracer46 View Post
    I second the recommendation to get the best seats you can and nothing beats Recaro for seats. I just don't understand why people cheap out and buy lousy seats that feel horrible after a long trip. The OEM seats aren't too bad and you can get new upholstery and foam for them is they are a little worn.
    The Sport seats are ridiculously comfortable, and had I not been able to get the "Style" version that I have, those would have been my second choice. If you do get the "Topline" version that is vented, heated, and has full power, they still get pricey but are well worth it (over $3K for the pair if I recall). Also, factor in the good Recaro dual-tabbed sliders (not the single-tab junk), Wedge bases, and the custom harness and it is a bit of a project. Still, you can't go wrong.

Here's a bit on my install, and one of these days I'll draw up the wiring schematic for anyone else that goes this route:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/recaro_seats.htm

I went with the Corbeaus, had to move the seatbelt latches from the stock seats and onto the new ones but I still love them.

Stock seats look the best to me but I might be crazy. I'd just buy a used set of black or grey insert Cobra seats to use.

Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

Name:  IMG_7628.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  40.7 KB

After seven long months after I placed my order for the seats, they finally showed up last week. I went with the Recaro Sport in the "top Line" configuration that includes heat, forced air cooling and power recline functions. The seats are super nice and I can't wait to wire them in next weekend!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last