Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

2003 Mach 1 Clutch issue

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pdogg74 
#1 ·
I have 2003 Mach 1 that had the main bearings go out a couple years ago. Rather than just put a factory replacement back in it I ordered a Coast High Performance 5.1L short block. In the midst of having the motor and trans already out I figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and throw a clutch in it as it would be easy to do. After a few months of getting it back together and then getting a good tune, the car ran fine. I moved out to California due to my job in the Marine Corps, about a year ago the car was almost impossible to shift at anything above 4500 RPM. I tried to research the problem and after a suggestion from a friend I tried one of the two way adjustable clutch cables. That made the car at least drive-able. It still takes a lot more force than it should to shift it at high RPM's and the clutch is crazy stiff all the time. Does any one have any thoughts on what could be causing it? Maybe the throw out bearing is going bad? Or could it be something with the transmission itself? Flywheel maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.