Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

More boost, new tune

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  stangfreak 
#1 ·
Got the return system done. So I decided to add more boost and switch to ms109. I know weather plays a big role. 22lbs vp100 I made 710rwhp 650rwtq. 2.9 whipple btw.

25lbs ms109 I only made 716rwhp 642rwtq. We did notice the tq curve looked a bit funny. Usually the curve has a little arc to it. This was just flat like a table. Kind of odd. Belt didn't seem to slip. Maybe the clutch? Don't know. But then again we didnt smell no clutch burn.

I didn't print out the Dyno sheet bc I wasn't too happy. I know weather plays a big role in numbers but I just dont get it. whipple told me I am over spinning my 2.9. But we over spin the eaton and gain more tq. why would my numbers stay the same with 3 more lbs and better gas?

Another thing, my tuner said the car lost mph on the run. should I do a compression test and leak down test?

#4 ·
You have it pullied up for sure towards the upper end of the blower rpm range.

To be honest the numbers aren't bad, I know they aren't what your looking for. For reference my 2011 combo with basically a stock motor (8.5:1 Manleys) at 25-26psi on the 2.8H with custom inlet made 723/664 SAE, that's with ice on 110 Sunoco racegas. It made about 715 without ice....pull after pull....

When something like that happens on the dyno, I like to do some experimenting. It would be nice to go back to your previous pulley combo, and see if the power drop is there, or even shows.

I did something similar at the beginning of last year in May that had me searching for answers all year, and ended up being "air"/density altitude related. My first outing the car ran 141-142 on lower boost all day (24psi), came back the next weekend on 25-26psi, and car ran the same. Took me a couple visits, and finally in August ran the 2 pulley combo's back to back, and the car picked up 3mph the very next pass from boost change alone. Went back and reviewed notes, and the DA on that first visit in May was -800 vs running in 800-1500ft in August. I knew it would have an effect, but not that much. Not saying that is your case, but its possible.

What plug combo you running/gap?

#6 ·
You have it pullied up for sure towards the upper end of the blower rpm range.

To be honest the numbers aren't bad, I know they aren't what your looking for. For reference my 2011 combo with basically a stock motor (8.5:1 Manleys) at 25-26psi on the 2.8H with custom inlet made 723/664 SAE, that's with ice on 110 Sunoco racegas. It made about 715 without ice....pull after pull....

When something like that happens on the dyno, I like to do some experimenting. It would be nice to go back to your previous pulley combo, and see if the power drop is there, or even shows.

I did something similar at the beginning of last year in May that had me searching for answers all year, and ended up being "air"/density altitude related. My first outing the car ran 141-142 on lower boost all day (24psi), came back the next weekend on 25-26psi, and car ran the same. Took me a couple visits, and finally in August ran the 2 pulley combo's back to back, and the car picked up 3mph the very next pass from boost change alone. Went back and reviewed notes, and the DA on that first visit in May was -800 vs running in 800-1500ft in August. I knew it would have an effect, but not that much. Not saying that is your case, but its possible.

What plug combo you running/gap?
Thats interesting. I was actually thinking about going back to the original pulley setup to see if it drops. I know joey at mustang magic uses the motor craft plugs. I forgot what he gapped them with this new combo. I left the car there for two days bc I was having issues getting some other parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you log timing? Do you know how it compares vs. your last pull?
The car was tuned when I left it at the shop. I know the timing stayed the same. My car has been a pain in the ass since day one. anytime I touch the car, doesnt matter which shop, the car never works or does what it supposed to do. so I just found out the numbers and drove it home because I was and actually am tired of playing around with this car for 13 years. I have it stored now and really had no desire to figure out what went wrong if anything. I may stop by the shop this saturday and see what I can find out. Not even my tuner could figure out what happened. He had no answer

#7 ·
overspilling it at 25psi? Justin is making 28-30 on his.

did you log boost? timing?

#9 ·
Thats what whipple told me. I told the guy at whipple, whats the point of me upgrading to a 2.9 whipple if I can't even run it at 25lbs? Lets say I am over spinning the blower, why isn't the tq jumping up? The tq curve was flat. Looked really weird. I have to ask joe at mustang magic for any logs.

I honestly would love to drop the car off at another shop and have a second opinion and over look everything. Go over the whole car.

- - - Updated - - -

Alex, who have you used to tune the car in the past? If you haven't tried Eric Brooks you might want to. There has been a number of guys on the site over the years, that you and I have both seen, who experienced peculiar behavior and performance after tuning or modifying and subsequently retuning their cars.

I believe Eric will surprise and impress you. He is working for HP Tuners these days but still tunes on the side if I am not mistaken. I think you would be quite surprised and impressed with the results he can provide remotely w/o the use of a dyno. If you want to contact him try sending him a PM at the HP Tuners site.

Ed
ed,

Joe at mustang magic has been tuning my car. I think I still have erics email from a while back. I should ask him and see if he can help. As far as anything mechanical, id like to drop the car off somewhere and have it checked out. Honestly, if turbo's weren't so expensive, I would have converted this car to turbo's years ago.

#8 ·
Alex, who have you used to tune the car in the past? If you haven't tried Eric Brooks you might want to. There has been a number of guys on the site over the years, that you and I have both seen, who experienced peculiar behavior and performance after tuning or modifying and subsequently retuning their cars.

I believe Eric will surprise and impress you. He is working for HP Tuners these days but still tunes on the side if I am not mistaken. I think you would be quite surprised and impressed with the results he can provide remotely w/o the use of a dyno. If you want to contact him try sending him a PM at the HP Tuners site.

Ed

#13 ·
Crusher? What pulley setup? My 2.9 with Crusher and 3.0/2 setup made 777/744 on a dynojet with Eric Brooks tuning it (only took 2 pulls). I did use E85 though and I have a bone stock long block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.