Twin Walboro 465's

+ Reply to Thread

Default Twin Walboro 465's

How much will those handle on E85? I have a Division X hat that only fits twins. Im looking at to make some serious HP and not sure if these will handle my power or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Russ, are you going to run ethanol or methanol?

You want to be sure to use the TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump if you run ethanol. If you run methanol you should be looking for big volume something like dual MagnaFuel 4300's or thereabouts. If you run ethanol you could probably get away with dual TI Automotive F90000274's but depending on your mass air flow you might bump into their max flow ceilings. Along with big pumps you are going to need big injectors to be able to supply enough fuel for the air mass you are providing the engine.

Ed

Senior Member Array painlessauto's Avatar

Define serious HP? My brother is running dual 465 pumps. 850+ rwhp on the corn. I have dual 465 pumps as well but have not finished my build yet. I'll be running Deatschwerks 1200 or ID1300's injectors.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Ed, I haven't made my decision on that yet. I know we both spoke about it but need to see what will be good for me.

Serious HP, I am hoping to be in the 1200rwhp or so range through an auto. Im thinking I may have to redo my fuel system and get rid of the hat setup.

Quote Originally Posted by RussZTT View Post
    Thanks Ed, I haven't made my decision on that yet. I know we both spoke about it but need to see what will be good for me.

Serious HP, I am hoping to be in the 1200rwhp or so range through an auto. Im thinking I may have to redo my fuel system and get rid of the hat setup.
    If you are targeting 1200 RWHP, Russ, I would suggest a methanol fuel system. Other fuels can be used but, as a fuel, methanol is just about as good as it gets except for mileage and that is not an issue for a race car. If you haven't already, download the Fuel System Calculator from the TToC 's Fuel System subsection along with the pdf instructions for operation. There are two calculators. One is for Windows and one is for Mac..

The calculator is designed to work with PD blown, Turbo and Centri supercharged engines. For the PD blown engines specify your compressor size and pulleys. For all others specify a large compressor, i.e. a 3.4L compressor, and adjust pulley size to reach the target boost you want to run the non-PD blower at. After that everything else works the same.

At the power levels you are seeking you will need to upgrade your fuel system. At the very least, whether the fuel is methanol or ethanol you need to use all stainless and anodized fittings and plumbing hardware to prevent the alcohols from reacting with them. You will also need to upgrade your MAF and ECU unless you decide to go to a speed density system. Your injectors will require a significant step upwards in terms of sizing also. The Fuel system calculator will be quite helpful in determining your required injector sizes.

For either of the alcohols you should run a minimum of 11:1 compression and higher is better. You will also need to upgrade your OEM ignition to fire the plugs at the new lambda settings you will be using for the alcohols.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The lines and fittings I got from Lethal, that were coated to be E85 safe. I'll sell the hat and pumps and seek a large pump. I did a search but unable to find the calculator your speaking about?

Go over to the TToC and go down to the Fuel System subsection. Under fuel systems count down to the fourth thread posting. It will say, Fuel System Calculator R2.11. Click on it and it will take you to the calculators and the instructions.

Ed

You're going to need a sumped tank like a Glenn's Performance tank. A lot of guys are running two of the Magnafuel 4303's in parallel with great success. Me, personally, I'd go with a cable driven mechanical pump. Mount the pump in the rear of the car with a cable drive off of the engine. You're going to need a 10an feed and 8an return and I think they will be close. If you already have a 10 feed and 8 return, try them. If not, just go with a 12 feed and 10 return. Moran billet atomizer 235 injectors should get it done with E-85. I don't know if standard 212's will. They may at higher base pressure.

I don't know what you run for a computer but Ed has brought up a great point above. If you are running a stock computer/mass air meter...you're going to have to go to a stand alone. The mass air meter setup just can't handle that airflow reliably. Guys make 1000 rwhp with mass air. Some start to have trouble with them at that level, some don't. Some have spark blowout even before that, some don't. My old setup made 1100 rwhp before having issues and that had a ridiculously small plug gap. I would not even try to make 1200 on a mass air computer. Just my opinion. Some guys have done it. I would not trust it enough to do it at that volume. At that power level, even with E-85, you are probably going to be running an A/W intercooler. That's another issue with a mass air meter. Condensation gets on the meter since the meter is going to be a blow thru on 99% of the applications.

1200 rwhp is getting in the territory where street car parts of any kind are just about gone. I'd go right to a cable driven pump and be done with it. I'm worried about running two Walbro 465's at 800+ rwhp plus a 100 shot of nitrous on E-85. Once this car goes to a twin turbo setup (which it almost certainly will), it's getting a cable driven pump and 235's.

If you do go cable driven, you need a regulator just for it. Most guys run the Aeromotive. It's the big tall goofy looking one. By the time you buy two big electric pumps, you're not that far off from a cable driven setup that will support just about whatever you want to do in the future. Guys do drive them on the street as well.

11. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread